Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Pretty much all the modded drives now are used drives...that was waaaay back when Dan had an inside man at the Lehman Trike plant.

BB

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys, I've just done this mod on my c50 (vs1400 drive) I had the c50 shaft milled back by 3/16th at the end and shoulder as per the photo at the start of the thread and I had the stock spacer milled down 2mm, Everything is working great and I'm loving the bikes longer legs and more relaxed cruising ability, I was wondering if anyone could help with a question I have? What are the stock lengths of the 1400 and 800 spacers before being milled down to 2"7/8 Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys, I've just done this mod on my c50 (vs1400 drive) I had the c50 shaft milled back by 3/16th at the end and shoulder as per the photo at the start of the thread and I had the stock spacer milled down 2mm, Everything is working great and I'm loving the bikes longer legs and more relaxed cruising ability, I was wondering if anyone could help with a question I have? What are the stock lengths of the 1400 and 800 spacers before being milled down to 2"7/8 Thanks.
Anyone??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Which method of enlarging the mounting holes is best. If I'm not 100% happy with the drive I'd want to swap back. If I elongated them with a file would the old drive still fit correctly. If drilled a piece could be fitted so the smaller sized original mounts fit.

·
Administrator
55,766 Posts
Slot the holes with a good new round file, and take care to fit several times during the process and before final assembly.

Otherwise, if the torque tube is NOT lined up correctly, You will experience hub binding when applying torque to the axle/nut.

Nothing wrong with drilling either, it's a solid method, but bushings are needed if desiring to replace the original drive again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I've been waiting for three years to do this mod. I fianally got a 1994 vs1400 final drive and most of the stuff. Now I have a few questions. first I notice that the spring system is different, the volusia has a small springs that sits inside the driveshaft and the vs1400 has a larger one that pushes against the very end of the driveshaft. 2nd In the original post says you can use the vl800 or the vs1400 spacer but i noticed that they are quite different in shape, if someone can help me please I'm stuck thinking what to do with the motorcyle on the jack no tire and the driveshaft is getting machined tomorrow also I need to know if the splines in the part closer to the shoulder have to be machined as well. THANK YOU :bigoops:

·
Registered
988 Posts
You use the spring from the 1400 drive, you can use either spacer even though they are different and yes you have to machine the shoulder back below the splines otherwise you will jam into the coupling and damage the receiving splines. You need free movement in and out .

You will also need the oil/grease seal for a 1400 drive and ensure you generously apply moly 60 grease to the splines at both ends of the shaft as well as the splines on the inner hub of the wheel. Apply an rtv/permatex sealant where the final drive connects to the frame/drive shaft tube to keep water out.

I am sure you will be smiling once you get the new drive in and take your first spin on the highway.

Reactions: Ricky

·
Registered
18 Posts
You use the spring from the 1400 drive, you can use either spacer even though they are different and yes you have to machine the shoulder back below the splines otherwise you will jam into the coupling and damage the receiving splines. You need free movement in and out .

You will also need the oil/grease seal for a 1400 drive and ensure you generously apply moly 60 grease to the splines at both ends of the shaft as well as the splines on the inner hub of the wheel. Apply an rtv/permatex sealant where the final drive connects to the frame/drive shaft tube to keep water out.

I am sure you will be smiling once you get the new drive in and take your first spin on the highway.
Thank you so much you were very helpful :wayhappy:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Don't forget to shorten the spacer and which driveshaft is getting machined tomorrow, C-50 or VS-1400? your answer about the splines depends on which shaft you are using.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2003 Volusia VL800 and decided to do this mod. i located a vs1400 drive on ebay seen here:
Suzuki Intruder VS1400 S83 Final Drive Driveshaft Assembly Housing Drive Shaft | eBay

Now i modified my 800 drive shaft and was about to start elongating the holes on my bike so that the 1400 final drive would fit. I stuck the drive up and it fits in the holes already, unmodified... the drive shaft that came in the "vs1400" is shorter than mine, as expected but the holes of the drive itself arent supposed to line up. Also the fake swing arm fits over the final drive when on the bike. What the hell did i buy?

121 - 140 of 170 Posts