Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
This is a picture of a C90 drive setting on an old wheel hub I have. The axle spacer sets the amount of gap between the hub and the drive.

·
Registered
19,341 Posts
You have too much free time on your hands, Russ.... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok as the newest member of the dj drive club. I wanted to point something for the few that may follow.

Do not put the shaft on the drive until you have the holes on the flange done. I made the mistake and it was painful. As I didn't have another seal so I coudnt take it apart. The shaft doesn't drop right in every time. When you finally get it in only to realize you have to file some more it really blows.

Two stories from my expirence. As much as I tried to plan ahead for everything, I never saw it coming. When I dropped the back tire I realized how much tread was actually left, not much. It look so much more acceptable on the bike. Well if I'm gonna change one tire then I better change both. Off to the store watched them change the tires and learned a flat on the road is gonna suck. Anyway get home still have the bike on the rack and lifting the front tire while slliding the axel back in. Just then the two chrome weights fall from the tire onto the floor. YGTBFKM. New tire adventure= 3hours.

After enough time to watch two movies I finally get the drive installed. The rear tire is about to go on. I thought hey this is probably as good of a time to drain the remnant final drive oil and refill with new. The refill plug is a SOB to get off, last person over tightened it. After getting it all filled the plug going back in cracks. I pull it back out to look at it, but the nut seperates from the threads. SOB. Its almost 5 so off to the stealership I go, pieces in hand to compare. The first thing he keeps asking me is what year the bike is. Start the visions of "Who's on First."
"What year is the bike"
"I dont know I just need the oil plug on the final drive"
"Whats the vin number"
"It not important cause the bike doesn't match the drive"
"I need a vl1500 plug"
"OK I need the year to look it up"
"I changed drives on the bike, they dont match"
"Why would anyone do that???"

Well they dont have one, So I talk them in to letting me have one off a showroom bike, but I have to pay the overnight fee for the replacement. The parts kid goes off into the showroom with a socket in hand. Comes running back for rags saying what a mess he started. I see he has taken the plug out of a c50. I tell him I need one out the other bike the m90. He looks at me like doe and says, "but you have a c50." I need a drink!!!!!!

So I drive off with my $35 plug. Plug=$5 with tax, Overnight shipping=$30, cost of patience= don't know never bought any.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Length of vs1400 shaft for a vs1400 drive mod

Just located the correct information, I hope....
Overall length should be 16 13/16" with a shoulder to drive end length of 15 9/16".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all, I'm a new member and a long time rider. Like you, I was frustrated with the highway speed limitations due to high RPMs. I started looking for ways to improve this problem around the first 30 miles. I've owned my C50 for 4 years and was ready to give up on it. Finally read the Oragon Lan instructional and knew my problems would be resolved. I followed the outlay to the letter and all worked out well. Fortunately I am in the mechanical trades and have unlimited access to whatever it takes to do this job. My advise is to follow it to the letter, he is right on with all dimensions and instruction. I found a used C90 1500 differential in a salvage yard in Penn. for $550.00, the rest $ was neglegable. I took it out for the first shakdown yesterday, braving the cold up here in NH, I was more than satisfied with the gearing. Smooth as glass and didn't seem to strain for power. You did a great job with the instructions and all who do this conversion should feel confident in all the dimensions in the outlay. My thanks to you.
Jon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone heard of just swapping out the gears from a vs1400 into the housing on their VL800? I'm having a **** of a time finding the complete drive, but found a few gearsets for almost nothing. The housings sure look the same, but would like to confirm it is possible before I end up with an expensive paperweight!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never mind, the housings are different part #'s. Not too far off, but different, so I'm not going to try. I was able to find a couple of finals off VS1400's for cheap, so I'm doing it the easy way :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Never mind, the housings are different part #'s. Not too far off, but different, so I'm not going to try. I was able to find a couple of finals off VS1400's for cheap, so I'm doing it the easy way :wayhappy:
Yeah, the other gearsets would not physicaly fit inside the 800 case, not without some major mill work.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I do a part lookup for the vs1400 axel spacer I get part number 09180-17092

Is this the correct part? It's a different number than listed above - but it appears that both of those numbers are for the Volusia/C50s not the vs1400. I'm looking to keep from modding my spacer so that I have the whole assembly intact (I even got a second vl800 drive shaft to mod rather than mod the stock rear shaft).

I guess what I'm asking is - if I get part number 09180-17092 can I use it without mods?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
When I do a part lookup for the vs1400 axel spacer I get part number 09180-17092

Is this the correct part? It's a different number than listed above - but it appears that both of those numbers are for the Volusia/C50s not the vs1400. I'm looking to keep from modding my spacer so that I have the whole assembly intact (I even got a second vl800 drive shaft to mod rather than mod the stock rear shaft).

I guess what I'm asking is - if I get part number 09180-17092 can I use it without mods?
Whether you purchase a C50 or VS1400 axle spacer, you will still have to grind off 2mm. Either spacer will work. The C50 spacer is the same length but tapered on one end...

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Hi All.. can someone answer a simple question- I am adding a VS1400 drive on my 2006 M50 I have a spare VL800 drive shaft I will modify.. question is.. the M50 has cast wheels- what is the correct length axel spacer I will need?. I see and hear the spacer is a different length for the cast wheel and the steel wheel mentioned in this writeup..
Can someone steer me straight..
Many thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The difference in spacer lenth was discussed because a few people experienced interferance when using cast wheels from the C50SE. I have C50SE wheels on mine, used the modified spacer that I had when I had spoke wheels and have no problems, no interferance. The C50SE cast wheels use two bearings on the drive side of the wheel. Seems as if there is some tolerance as to how far those bearings get pressed into the wheel. If they don't get pushed in full depth, some interferance can happen.

Haven't heard from anybody that is using M50 wheels. It would be impossible to give you a difinitive measurement for an M50. Yours is going to come down to trial and error. Take your stock spacer and shorten by 2mm to start. Install everyting. If you encounter resistance when turning the wheel, try just backing the torque off abit. If that don't do it, you may have to pull the wheel and add a thin washer, but I doubt it, the ones that had problems were few and far between and I have not heard of any problems with the M50.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The best price (including shipping) I have found for the "oil seal" (part # 09283-30026) is here: 09283-30026 OIL SEAL PR CUP $5.29. Use the promo code 'meetsister', and the total price is $6.25 shipped

·
Administrator
51,678 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just got my drive shaft and spacer back from the machine shop today got to get my drive and put it all together I can't freaking wait

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read Dan Hillis' instructions for installing a modded C90 drive and it stated that the C90 drives were unused take off's. Does anyone know if the same is true for the VS1400 and Vl1500 modded DJ drives or are they used drives?

JJ

101 - 120 of 168 Posts