·
Registered
302 Posts
Moved!

·
Registered
37 Posts
06 C50 axle spacer

I noticed that in the pictures in the thread its all one size.... On my '06 C50 my axle spacer is tapered. Which side gets the 2mm taken off of it? or does it matter?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Re: 06 C50 axle spacer

TonyPalleschi said:
I noticed that in the pictures in the thread its all one size.... On my '06 C50 my axle spacer is tapered. Which side gets the 2mm taken off of it? or does it matter?
I can't remember which end of your spacer goes into the drive, the smaller diameter side or the larger diameter side, but take the 2mm off the side that butts against the wheel hub.

The lenth of that spacer establishes the distances between the wheel hub and the drive housing. Whithout taking that 2mm off, you end up with a gap between hub and housing.

People make their own spacers incase they ever want to put their old drive back in (like when they sell the bike), that way they have a proper lenth spacer for an oem drive.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The pictures are back online now. Also, I've added a link to a downloadable .zip that contains the instructions that you can store on your PC.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will be installing my VS1400 drive with mod c50 shaft this weekend.
I have the bearing stopper plate from the C50 but do not have the plate from the VS1400.
Can the C50 plate holes be drilled out to fit or better just get a VS1400 plate ?
Also, do I need the VS1400 "O" ring (09280-64003)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
You need to buy a new plate. They are a few dollars. Order it when you order the seal.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
You could probably modify the C50 stopper plate to work in a pinch. Drill oversize or elongate the holes. I think you would also have to remove the tab that goes into the slot on the bearing topper, I don't think it will line up. I ran one that way a few weeks until I could get the correct one shipped to me. I wouldn't leave it that way though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ordered the VS1400 plate on Thursday, should be delivered on Tuesday. Now to Harbor Freight this weekend to get jack....probably going with aluminum.
Will get back as I start mod......thanks alot

·
Registered
72 Posts
ok i have adrive on the way and just got a spare drive shaft for a hair cut for the event.

I am confused where the spacer is going that needs to be trimmed. I did not get it on the spare shaft. so where is it?

·
Administrator
52,907 Posts
The spacer fits to the inside of the drive hub to wheel hub bearing surfaces.
When You torque the axle nut, basically, that spacer maintains clearance between both hubs, to allow the wheel to spin freely.

It's absolutely critical that You install a spacer of the proper length between the hubs.

Probably best to obtain another spacer, and keep Your factory piece intact, should You desire to re-install the C50 drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So looking at the exploded parts diagram it is the space that is between the final drive bevel and the plate that the three botls are that attach the shaft to the final drive assembly.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
So looking at the exploded parts diagram it is the space that is between the final drive bevel and the plate that the three botls are that attach the shaft to the final drive assembly.
No, different spacer. Hopefully mtmouse got ya pointed in the right direction in his pm. The spacer we talk about slides on to the axle. It prevents the wheel hub from sliding onto the axle so far that the hub would contact the bolts that hold the drive backing plate on. As a general rule, you need an axle spacer that is 2mm shorter than the oem spacer that is used with the C50 drive. You can cut your orginal 2mm shorter, but then you can't reuse that spacer if you ever put your C50 drive back on. I made some spacers on my benchtop lath, cut to the correct lenth. If you want one shoot me a pm with your address. I get $20 shipped. My spacers are not for the cast wheels that came on SE or C50C models. That does require a different lenth and i did not make any of those, I do not have the dimensions.
Viper

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
No, different spacer. Hopefully mtmouse got ya pointed in the right direction in his pm. The spacer we talk about slides on to the axle. It prevents the wheel hub from sliding onto the axle so far that the hub would contact the bolts that hold the drive backing plate on. As a general rule, you need an axle spacer that is 2mm shorter than the oem spacer that is used with the C50 drive. You can cut your orginal 2mm shorter, but then you can't reuse that spacer if you ever put your C50 drive back on. I made some spacers on my benchtop lath, cut to the correct lenth. If you want one shoot me a pm with your address. I get $20 shipped. My spacers are not for the cast wheels that came on SE or C50C models. That does require a different lenth and i did not make any of those, I do not have the dimensions.
Viper
Are the spacers you have for the C90 or the VS1400?

·
Registered
72 Posts
1400's/1500's and C90's all have the same gear ratio. I did hear that the 109 gearing is a bit lower though, I think that is where the 10%/14% difference was.
Since I am about to put the 1500 in is like to know more about this but simple Google searches come up empty. Can anyone point me in a good direction? Is almost rather the 1500 be a 14% step.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The C90, VL1500 and VS1400 all have the same gears, so a higher gear ratio will be achieved with any of them, and yes it is about 14%. The only difference amoung the drives is that the 1400 has a considerably shorter driveshaft, too short to be used on the C50, but djhillis can make it longer. The other difference is that the C50 and 1400 drives share the same size axle, so one step in the mod process is eliminated. Because the C90 and 1500 drives use a larger diameter axle, you must have a bushing made that fits inside the axle hole to bush the larger hole down to accept the smaller diameter C50 axle.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Are the spacers you have for the C90 or the VS1400?
C90, 1500 and 1400 drives all use the same lenth spacer, 2mm shorter than the stock C50 spacer. The only differance I've heard of is from those running the SE or C50C cast wheels, seems as though those spacers need to be a tad longer, I had to send mtmouse a washer in order for his to work, the wheel would interfer with the drive backing plate.

81 - 100 of 169 Posts