Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I could be wrong? but from the pictures,that looks like a VL800 drive with a VS1400 shaft and suspension mount fitted to it.
+1 what C800 said, here is a pic of my vs1400 drive for visual reference, I think you got ripped off and need to contact E-Bay to see if you have any recourse.

Reactions: c800

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
NO GUYS This is not a C50 or other drive- it IS an Intruder drive- but its not from the 1400 its from the smaller 800cc bike (the same basic design as the C50 but with the very shorter driveshaft. You got ripped.. you need to open a case and let EBAY know your item was NOT AS DESCRIBED they will investigate.
Sorry for the bad news
MoDZuKi

Like this one VS800 but the older intruder not boulevard
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-SUZUKI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1bd2698e&vxp=mtr

Reactions: c800

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, Probably just a silly question but here goes. The spacer mod I assume is made to be able to fit the C50 rear wheel. As the C50 takes a 170/80 x 15" tire and the C90 takes a 180/70 x 15" tire could you just fit the C90 rear wheel to the C90 drive? One less mod...

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, curiosity is killing me: Does the extra load on engine help negate some vibration when reaching the same RPM's (at a now higher speed...) that gave it the "buzz" before the mod?

My 2007 C50 starts trouble now around 55 and by 60-65, I want to get off the floorboards and throttle really bad! Have a VS1400 drive in garage that will be my project this coming week or so... Making my parts order tonight to be ready. Figure the finished project will be my Christmas present! Otherwise, it will be for sale in spring... I can't have a bike I don't want to ride in East Tennessee!!! The mountains and fun roads are too close to ignore...

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Slow_Ride, what kind of shoes do you wear? I use boots with about 1/2"+ of rubber on the bottom. I rest my feet lightly on the floorboards so the buzzing isn't too bad (although I am working on a final drive swap too for 75mph+). One time, I did press my feet down on the floorboards while going about 65-70 and the shaking was quite intense, nice for a few 5 minute foot massage but would definitely be annoying if it went on for longer than that.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
This tool list says up to 22mm wrench. I have an '06. I have a metric set of wrenches but not up to 22. What specific wrench sizes are needed bigger than 17mm?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Been waiting for a warm enough day since I have no garage space to work. After days of wet 40s and then, upper 30s, it finally got into the 50s on Christmas day (of all days). I had warned my son that we would have a project when the weather got warm enough. Fortunately, he was willing to give up some hours on Christmas day to help me out. It took us all afternoon to do the job. A couple of times I thought we were stuck (the big bolt on the swing arm was a beast and all I had is my multi-allen wrench, the axle bolt was so stripped the wrench just spun and spun - a crescent would never have worked on it).

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! I hit the road for a test ride through the neighborhood and everything ran smooth, in 1st and 2nd gear. So, I hit the next level of driving on the street at about 40-45, in 3rd gear...nice. All was fine so, I took it up a little. Smooth as butter on a hot piece of cornbread.

As has been said over and over, it is a new bike with a 6th gear (formally known and still labeled as 5th). I didn't take off fast from a stop or race through the gears. I took it easy on building the speed up. So, I don't know about jumping out in traffic and passing speeds yet but will find out in good time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vibes... they are a changin'!!!

Slow_Ride, what kind of shoes do you wear? I use boots with about 1/2"+ of rubber on the bottom. I rest my feet lightly on the floorboards so the buzzing isn't too bad (although I am working on a final drive swap too for 75mph+). One time, I did press my feet down on the floorboards while going about 65-70 and the shaking was quite intense, nice for a few 5 minute foot massage but would definitely be annoying if it went on for longer than that.
Sorry, I got a little busy lately. Haven't even seen your post until tonight. Had a few priorities pop up elsewhere! I wear a lower cut shoe with about the same 1/2" rubber sole. Highway pegs helped some but still felt it a bit.

But hey! I got it done today and I actually think I can live with it now!!! Of course, the tank gauge started blinking within a mile of my driveway... Got more gas tonight and will "test" more tomorrow. So far, getting to 55 before running out of gears is a real boost though!!! Heck, I think I still had at least a couple left to try yet... It doesn't have the same "neck snap" but the wife doesn't let me drive like that much anyway... Less work shifting to get down the block too. Bet I can't start in 2nd anymore... I used to (with wife on back) sometimes by accident and sometimes just to prove a point. I always thought that was a waste anyway.

Vibes have changed a bit! I used my cheap little hand-held grinder and even fit the fake swing arm back on. I shortened the U-Joint at the machine shop and the guy was so happy to help out another biker, he didn't charge me... Bonus! I'll have to think of some way to pay him back now... WOW!!! I thought you guys were exaggerating. :biglaugh::wayhappy::biglaugh::wayhappy::biglaugh:

Guess I will have to stop looking for its replacement now! Gonna order something for it instead... Gotta hit the hills as soon as possible!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the change. I am definitely working on learning the gears again, too. My bike doesn't like the extra low rpms at all. There is a sweet spot where she purrs along nicely and I am finding that spot for the gears again. Winter has limited my riding with the new drive but have some days coming up to ride (and may take a long trip next weekend). I am definitely going down to first for stops or almost stops waiting for a light to turn green.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Road it harder yesterday to sort it out... From 1rst to 2nd over 17 and at least 30 to go to 3rd (I think). Below 50 seems too low for 5th. It actually seems like the RPM's are lower in 4th at 55 than they used to be in 5th... The lower gears have crazy range now. If there were something between this and OEM, I might entertain it, but would NEVER go back to OEM EVER!!! I believe I saw where the VS50 had something in the middle... Riding 2-up is not a problem though. Going 55 up to about 90 (with wife) on one stretch was a bit weird. Yes, it seemed like there was more left too. My feet love this much needed change! If you do more slab, this is a "must have" for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2012 C50T to VS1400 drive conversion spacer ???

Hello all,

Two questions if I may.

What is the correct length for the VS 1400 axle spacer installed on a C50T wire wheel hub?

I have searched several forums and found conflicting answers.

I see figures of 2.780 inches as well as 2 & 7/8 inches, a difference of approximately ".095" inches.

If someone could provide an answer in millimeters I would be most grateful.

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a question for those that have modified the VS1400 shaft to work with the VS Final Drive install on a C50 (2007).

I'm trying to guage how much to lengthen the VS 1400 shaft to align with the u-joint, etc. I've measured the length of the c50 VL800 shaft from the VL 800 Drive hub to the end of the shaft hub and did the same on the VS 1400, did some simple math and came up with the need to add 11.1 cm or 4.329 inches to the VS 1400 shaft. I've used this method because the shafts are forced up against the snap ring in the drive hub of each and the bolts will align in the same place with the suspension arm on the bike. I will also need to shave off .8 cm of the VS 1400 shaft to reduce the overall length of the VS 1400 shaft to correctly fit into the u-joint.

Does this sound like a reasonable method for measuring what I need to do to modify the VS1400 shaft?

I've tried to add a picture. Hopefully it appears.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I believe (from memory) the measurement from the dummy end of your tape measure to the shoulder on the on the shaft should be 16 1/16 ". But the best way to measure it is to clamp the shaft in a vice so the weight oft the drive keeps the shaft square because it will deflect quite a bit on the bench. Make sure you trim the splines down on the end of the vs 1400 shaft to match the c50 as it will hit the yoke in the u-joint. That's a heck of an extension! Staightness and balance can cause vibration that would be my concern. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I had a pro bike fabricator extend the 1400 shaft. Did a great job. I put in 11cm but should have been 11.1 to make it 'perfect.' Shortened the head by 5/16. The axle bushing cut to 2 13/16 and was a perfect length. Cost me $95 to have the fab done.

Totally different bike. Wow! Easy riding in 3 around 40 mph and don't shift to 5th til well over 60. Easy cruising over 70.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry if that has been asked before but have put this in the search and have looked through the results her in the VR site and can not seem to find this and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please. Thank You

Secure the bike to the stand and proceed to remove the drive assembly using the Rusks’ “Checking Driveshaft Lubrication”guide found on the VR site.

141 - 160 of 170 Posts