Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I like the quick pick up. I out ran a Kawasaki 1500 nomad at the race track. When we reach a speed around 60 0r 70 mph, I really pulled away like he was sitting still.
Almost twice the displacement of the 800 but a huge weight disadvantage comparativly. I can understand running away from him up to about mid 3rd gear but then he should have walked away from you, are you sure he was trying?

·
Registered
227 Posts
2008 Farmington NC. speed way Smoke out bike rally. I beat him the first time, but he had more torque and had me by about a foot for the first 300 feet. Then I left the Kaw. Nomad behind. Out ran him by a bike link in about 500 feet. Then I just pulled away from him gradually to the end of the strip. Don't know how long the drag strip was. He claimed he mised a gear, so I ran him again. Second time he was still ahead a few feet up till about 300 feet and I gradually passed him and continued to pull away more than a tractor trailor link.
We were all racing for bragging rights. If you don't beleive it then you can call him.
His name is Keith and his # is 704- 279-2705
Udamar, was a witness and his # is 704- 279 4842

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
BOC502005 said:
2008 Farmington NC. speed way Smoke out bike rally. I beat him the first time, but he had more torque and had me by about a foot for the first 300 feet. Then I left the Kaw. Nomad behind. Out ran him by a bike link in about 500 feet. Then I just pulled away from him gradually to the end of the strip. Don't know how long the drag strip was. He claimed he mised a gear, so I ran him again. Second time he was still ahead a few feet up till about 300 feet and I gradually passed him and continued to pull away more than a tractor trailor link.
We were all racing for bragging rights. If you don't beleive it then you can call him.
His name is Keith and his # is 704- 279-2705
Udamar, was a witness and his # is 704- 279 4842
Who said anything about not believing you? I said "should have". Now that I think about it, it makes sense in a 1/4 mile, over a longer distance you'd have been a little dot in his rear view mirror.

·
Banned
175 Posts
So is there a drive conversion kit for those who've purchased used Vol/C50's with a DJ drive already installed and want to get some performance back?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
and want to get some performance back?
when you say "get some performance back", you mean bottom end torque? Cause that is about all you loose and it is so negligible I doubt the average rider would even notice. Seems to me top end with a higher gear ratio would be slightly better, but may take a little longer to get there. I pressed early on for a head to head test of a stock C50 and one modded with a C90 drive, to my knowledge that never happened.

I did install a 90 drive in my own bike, and I did not notice much performance difference at all. It just wound out longer in each gear. I didn't find 5th gear usable below 60 mph indicted. But 65 indicated to about 90 indicated was smooth as butter. Maybe that first 15 to 20 feet from a dead stop was a tic slower, but really nothing significant. I felt the concern over turning this bike into a dog was unfounded.

To answer your question about a kit to return the bike to stock, you bet, I have three C50 drives I can offer up. I'll supply everything except the driveshaft and I could even offer a deal on that too. And I'd be more than happy to take that old 90 drive off you hands and give you a respectable amount in trade against the kit. :lol:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you are unhappy with the C90 drive, pick up a C50 drive and shaft off of ebay for ~$100.00 and sell your C90 drive on the forums for ~$400.00. Seems like a no brainer to me...
There are a few aspects of the C50 drive I miss. I miss the quick takeoffs. I miss being able to accelerate up a hill in 5th. I miss the look of the fake swing arm.
Time will tell if I decide to keep the drive or not. I have a lengthly trip planned this summer and figured the drive would benefit me for long distance/high speed travel.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
OregonLAN said:
If you are unhappy with the C90 drive, pick up a C50 drive and shaft off of ebay for ~$100.00 and sell your C90 drive on the forums for ~$400.00. Seems like a no brainer to me...
There are a few aspects of the C50 drive I miss. I miss the quick takeoffs. I miss being able to accelerate up a hill in 5th. I miss the look of the fake swing arm.
Time will tell if I decide to keep the drive or not. I have a lengthly trip planned this summer and figured the drive would benefit me for long distance/high speed travel.
Someone took a dremel to the inside of that swingarm and was able to remove enough material to make it fit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I assume that a VS1400 final drive assembly from a 1997 Intruder would work for a DJ conversion on my M50? I may have found one for sale but I want to make sure it would work for me before spending the $.

By the way, AWESOME writeup!

edit: nevermind, I REALLY don't need to spend the money on it right now. I was not gonna post this so I didn't have any competition on ebay, but here you go everyone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170329090378&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

·
Registered
201 Posts
The spacer I have is not the same outer diameter all the way across. One end is about an inch and the other end is about 7/8".
Which side should I take the 2mm from? Or does it matter?

Thanks!

·
Banned
175 Posts
C50nVA said:
The spacer I have is not the same outer diameter all the way across. One end is about an inch and the other end is about 7/8".
Which side should I take the 2mm from? Or does it matter?

Thanks!
You can't go wrong if you take it from the large end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drive assembly replacement.

Does anybody in the Fredericksburg VA area know of anyone that has made this mod, and that would be willing do it again on my bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
1987-2003 VS1400 all share the same part number for the final drive. The parts breakdown shows 87-95 and then 86-03 but the final drive is the same for both groups. The part number is 27300-38845.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Final Drive Mod

I have an 03 Volusia. For clarification, what are my options. There is a guy locally that used a Hamlings drive. I see the C-90 and the VS1400 and this Hamling. Oh and the "DJ" drive. I'm trying to get a handle on where I can get the parts and what I should expect to have in it by the time I'm thru.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Re: Final Drive Mod

hiskid said:
I have an 03 Volusia. For clarification, what are my options. There is a guy locally that used a Hamlings drive. I see the C-90 and the VS1400 and this Hamling. Oh and the "DJ" drive. I'm trying to get a handle on where I can get the parts and what I should expect to have in it by the time I'm thru.

The hamling, and dj drive are the entities that modify the drives...
As I understand the c90 drives are realy hard to come by lately... That is why the 1400 is used now... there is a how to on this in a sticky at the top of motors transmissions and drives all about this.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a question?

Has any failures been reported due to the shaft splines wearing/breaking? The reason why I am asking is since there is machining being done to the shaft there is going to be some stressed introduced to it from that process. It would seem wise to temper the shaft to reduce the stresses added from the maching process.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
None on drives made by Dan Hills (DJ)
But he doesn't machine the spline.
He cuts and shortens and re-welds and trues up the drive better than original.

None so far reported w/ the 1400 drives

Also I believe the 1400 drives someone said gives only a 10% change as to the C90's 14%.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
kgallich said:
I have a question?

Has any failures been reported due to the shaft splines wearing/breaking? The reason why I am asking is since there is machining being done to the shaft there is going to be some stressed introduced to it from that process. It would seem wise to temper the shaft to reduce the stresses added from the maching process.
The only failures reported have been with unmodified oem driveshafts. The two fellas mentioned here know what they're do'n. Hillis described his process once and it sounded like some sort of heat treating is done.

YZ, who is a machinest by trade, uses a process to buildup up the shoulder area that he turns back, a heating/tempering process as well.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts