Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Boxwrench said:
Also I believe the 1400 drives someone said gives only a 10% change as to the C90's 14%.
Is that really true??

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
foxk56 said:
Boxwrench said:
Also I believe the 1400 drives someone said gives only a 10% change as to the C90's 14%.
Is that really true??
1400's/1500's and C90's all have the same gear ratio. I did hear that the 109 gearing is a bit lower though, I think that is where the 10%/14% difference was.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What is mod is done to the drive unit itself? I have acess to a machine shop, if I get ahold of vs1400 drive I need to know what is done to the drive unit, I know about the shaft.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
cali-c50 said:
What is mod is done to the drive unit itself? I have acess to a machine shop, if I get ahold of vs1400 drive I need to know what is done to the drive unit, I know about the shaft.
Nothing needs to be done to the VS1400 drive itself; just the driveshaft. Any modifications to the drive are purely asthetic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anybody have a link or pictures to show about how the drive is shaved down to accept the fake swingarm again? I know I've seen it before but I can't find it now.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
foxk56 said:
Does anybody have a link or pictures to show about how the drive is shaved down to accept the fake swingarm again? I know I've seen it before but I can't find it now.
Dan Hills is the only one I know who does it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the picture!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Boxwrench said:
foxk56 said:
Dan Hills is the only one I know who does it.
In addition to modifying C50 driveshafts (milling the shoulder back, not cut and weld), yfz450 has a program for his CNC machine that removes just enough material to allow installation of the left side swingarm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This just could be the most lucid and informative thread I've seen on the VR. I was in the early phases of considering a mod to my C50's final drive, and I REALLY wanted some intelligent, technically based info. You guys filled the bill.
Interestingly, the outcome of the process is that I'm going to pass on the modification. I love my C50 and the way she rides. I love the way she jumps off the mark, the way she can climb most hills without downshifting, and the extra umph! she gives me in every gear. The high speed noise and vibes do pose a problem, and that's why I was considering the mod. But then I remembered I'm an olde pleasure tourer-- back roads and loafing along at 55-65. I'll put up with the noise and vibes when I'm forced to take to the slab... but the rest of the time, I want my Black Beauty just the way she was born.
Thanks again for a terrific thread.
-OBF

·
Administrator
52,611 Posts
oldebikerfarte said:
This just could be the most lucid and informative thread I've seen on the VR. I was in the early phases of considering a mod to my C50's final drive, and I REALLY wanted some intelligent, technically based info. You guys filled the bill.
Interestingly, the outcome of the process is that I'm going to pass on the modification. I love my C50 and the way she rides. I love the way she jumps off the mark, the way she can climb most hills without downshifting, and the extra umph! she gives me in every gear. The high speed noise and vibes do pose a problem, and that's why I was considering the mod. But then I remembered I'm an olde pleasure tourer-- back roads and loafing along at 55-65. I'll put up with the noise and vibes when I'm forced to take to the slab... but the rest of the time, I want my Black Beauty just the way she was born.
Thanks again for a terrific thread.
-OBF
Bro, FWIW: I can take My C50 with DJ Drive down to 24 mph in 5th gear (no bucking), and gently coax it back to highway speed; all without downshifting.
Of course, My intake and exhaust are unmodified, and the road surface must be absolutely flat.

That's a substantial testimony to the healthy powerband of the VL800, and You will not lose the pulling power, or cruising manners.

Take another member's bike (with the upgrade drive) for a ride. You will not be sorry!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Putting a VL 1400 final drive on the bike probably this weekend. Kinda like the look without the fake swingarm. If I go swingarm less, does the bike lose any structural strength?

Also, Aric Balster does the grinding and milling of the shaft to fit into the final drive. His cost to me $175.00 shipping included. That includes the drive shaft, seals and cucrlip or whatever its is called. Items you will need to buy are snap ring pliers, moly 60 grease, brushes to apply the grease, some green loctite and final gear oil.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: 1400 final drive

sambo67 said:
I am still trying to locate a drive for my vl800. Any ideas on where to find what I need?
Please start on page 1 of this thread.

There is all you need to know. Several photos and detailed explanations thanks to the very hard work done by Oregonlan.

He made it easy for me, an engineering knincompoop, to understand.

He also gave me the name of a machinest Aric to cut the shaft for the mod.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
impolite question about cost

If you willing to say, what kind of price range are we talking about for this DJ mod?
Paul

[/u]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Try various salvage yards in your area or nationwide. Then talk to Aric about the shafts. I think he still has some on hand.

You might get lucky and find someone who doesn't know what he's got and pay a good price like I did ($150 + $50 shipping). I know I got ripped off on the shipping, but $200 for this drive is a DEAL!

41 - 60 of 169 Posts