Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just picked up a copy of this wonderful book a few days ago.

I have.not read Zen and The Art of Motorcycling (I started it but ...).

But, this book by Mark Richardson is great.

And the route he rides is the same route that Pirsig took and wrote about years before.

And the route they took over the Beartooth Highway, through Yellowstone, over Lolo Pass, down through Missoula etc just happens to be the reverse of a ride I did heading home from last year's Wescalero Great Missoula Flood ride. Richardson tells it very well.

Just sayin' if you haven't read this and you yearn to take a lovely ride this should stoke your dreams if not fire up you ride.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Years ago I too remember Starting to read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle repair" or some thing like that but I too did not finish it. :sad:

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
It is neither about Zen or motorcycle maintenance. And usually, about 50 pages in, people realize that and put the book on the bookshelf because it has a cool name.

The book is about Pirsig's pursuit for human quality, whatever that is. It is philosophy without logic.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
That is an excellent route Sal......I've been over all of it in sections......some day may be I'll do the whole thing as just one trip.

Looking forward to seeing you in Creston.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It is neither about Zen or motorcycle maintenance. And usually, about 50 pages in, people realize that and put the book on the bookshelf because it has a cool name.

The book is about Pirsig's pursuit for human quality, whatever that is. It is philosophy without logic.
I recently reread it, mostly to follow the illogic of those types to formulate sound counter-arguments. I then started his followup Lila, an inquiry into Morals. Another misnamed book. This one, I never finished.

I don't think his travels with the "son" were factual in any way. And I'm more certain the adventures in Lila were also fictitious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts