Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I was riding to work last week and got pulled over my a very testosterone laden state trooper for what you ask...well...apparently my registration had expired and I was never sent a renewal in the mail so unbeknowst to me the reg. lapsed and here I am with my 100 dollar ticket. The kicker is that the trooper pulled me over while he had another bike pulled over then pulled another bike over when I was pulled over....I am thinking that his boyfriend must have hogged the sheets the previous night or something.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,842 Posts
vandals81 said:
The kicker is that the trooper pulled me over while he had another bike pulled over then pulled another bike over when I was pulled over..
sounds like profiling to me! fight it!


..I am thinking that his boyfriend must have hogged the sheets the previous night or something.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
now that is funny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,626 Posts
where are you from?.......this sucks but MANY places (ny city did it last year) are randomly pulling bikes over to check for registration issues and to make sure the rider is licensed.

It's really not profiling.....many fought it and lost I believe. The fact that the registration is expired is the rider's fault and not the state's. Your expiration is on the registration. Not exactly MY opinion but.............

BTW.....In Massachusetts, they can and WILL tow your bike for an expired registration. At least you got to ride off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya about the towing and whatnot....the mental midget threatened to tow me and also take me to jail....just to throw it out there this is my first year riding (massachusetts) and I have never had any other tickets...am a tax paying hard working never been in trouble with the law citizen and I got nailed...I own up to it and even told the officer that it was an honest mistake to which he replied "here is your 100 dollar ticket"....I guess he won't be getting a christmas card from me...grrrrr I have sent in the paperwork to appeal it in hopes that the court will see that I am an upstanding citizen that's never been in trouble and it truly was an honest mistake...my luck i'll be tossed in jail...wish me luck! : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,853 Posts
I would go to court over it. I know I got pulled over here (Arkansas) once for expired tags, and the cop told me she could ticket me, but they often give you some leniency for up to 30 days, as long as you're insured and have all your old reg papers. And if the judge says you have to pay, then you're not out anymore then you would be just paying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
next time

Next time keep riding. He'll have to decide who to get, you or the other guy. Don't speed or run, just wave and keep riding. I'm no expert, but I don't think waving you down is the correct procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,342 Posts
Re: next time

julian05c50 said:
Next time keep riding. He'll have to decide who to get, you or the other guy. Don't speed or run, just wave and keep riding. I'm no expert, but I don't think waving you down is the correct procedure.
yeah....whats up with that!?!?? mornin' officer....give a little salute wave back.... was there a sign indicating you need to pull over for a paper check point ahead???

if you're called in down the road & pulled over with cruiser & lights...say 'hey! i didn't know what he was doing....he looked busy with the other biker he had pulled over already.'

yeah...try that. :lol:

bunch of barney fife's i say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,342 Posts
notorious_carl said:
not to be rude or anything. but how do you let your registration expire. doesn't it expire on your birth month with all your cages?
not all states do it by your birth date month....when i lived in TX it was registered and tagged the month of PURCHASE... they didn't pro-rate fee til your birth month.... you just paid for 12 mos. from the date of purchase.

i don't know if they changed that since i lived there.

iowa does do it by birth-month of the first owners name on title (if co-owned)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
wehrd1 said:
notorious_carl said:
not to be rude or anything. but how do you let your registration expire. doesn't it expire on your birth month with all your cages?
not all states do it by your birth date month....when i lived in TX it was registered and tagged the month of PURCHASE... they didn't pro-rate fee til your birth month.... you just paid for 12 mos. from the date of purchase.

i don't know if they changed that since i lived there.

iowa does do it by birth-month of the first owners name on title (if co-owned)
Like I said I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm just use two states that expire on your birthday, thanks for the info about that it does make sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
Tickets are evile!

Hate tickets...got one last year :oops:
How'd he catch an expired reg on a bike going by?

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,342 Posts
notorious_carl said:
wehrd1 said:
notorious_carl said:
not to be rude or anything. but how do you let your registration expire. doesn't it expire on your birth month with all your cages?
not all states do it by your birth date month....when i lived in TX it was registered and tagged the month of PURCHASE... they didn't pro-rate fee til your birth month.... you just paid for 12 mos. from the date of purchase.

i don't know if they changed that since i lived there.

iowa does do it by birth-month of the first owners name on title (if co-owned)
Like I said I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm just use two states that expire on your birthday, thanks for the info about that it does make sense.
no problem...i didn't view your post as being rude at all. I was just explaining how some states do it... in fact when we moved to IOWA, i couldn't beleive they prorated TO your birth month when you purchased plates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,777 Posts
notorious_carl said:
wehrd1 said:
notorious_carl said:
not to be rude or anything. but how do you let your registration expire. doesn't it expire on your birth month with all your cages?
not all states do it by your birth date month....when i lived in TX it was registered and tagged the month of PURCHASE... they didn't pro-rate fee til your birth month.... you just paid for 12 mos. from the date of purchase.

i don't know if they changed that since i lived there.

iowa does do it by birth-month of the first owners name on title (if co-owned)
Like I said I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm just use two states that expire on your birthday, thanks for the info about that it does make sense.
In Washington state it's based on purchase date. Four vehicles with four different expirations in our house. I'd probably be screwed if I didn't get a friendly reminder myself. As we sit I am writing the first renewal on the C50T. She'll be a year old in June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I think it's amusing to hear someone complain about something that was their fault and make it sound like the guy that is paid by the tax payers to enforce traffic laws is the one at fault... Get over yourself...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,842 Posts
Rizzo said:
I think it's amusing to hear someone complain about something that was their fault and make it sound like the guy that is paid by the tax payers to enforce traffic laws is the one at fault... Get over yourself...
my point is, he should have never been pulled over in the first place
where was the probable cause?
your tellin me barny fife had someone else pulled over looked up and said "yep that guy has an expired tag"
give me a break
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
Rizzo said:
I think it's amusing to hear someone complain about something that was their fault and make it sound like the guy that is paid by the tax payers to enforce traffic laws is the one at fault... Get over yourself...
my point is, he should have never been pulled over in the first place
where was the probable cause?
your tellin me barny fife had someone else pulled over looked up and said "yep that guy has an expired tag"
give me a break
That's what I'm trying figure out.
How was the stop actually made?

Sounds like a bullshit charge to me, a lot of other cops at least here wouldn't ticket for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Then go to court and ask why he was pulled over. I agree that it wouldn't be right to wave a bike over just for the expired tags but he may have been doing a checkpoint (stopping all bikes possible which is allowed in most states for safety and equipment checks) or for another violation. Throw it up on the wall and see what sticks. It's much more grown up than calling names and will keep money in your pocket if you were right. It's just not right to poke at a guy whose job sucks anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
Aw come on..everybody whines a little after getting stopped and ticketed.

Cops don't have it easy I agree.
Nobody enjoys seeing others get away with worse stuff either.

I know cops dread traffic duty anyway.

Just luck of the draw.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top