Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh no, here we go again! I have several bikes Two Boulevards a Honda Manga (project bike) and Heritage Softail. My wife rides her Bouly and I mainly ride the Harley. My Bouly is really down for maintenance on issue is the LED on the speedo is dying and I can barely read the Miles and the biggest loss is fuel and range. The other reason is the tires are aging out. I was going to put Commander II on but I will be doing that on the Harley.
My question is what is, other than Dunlops, the cheapest but best tires I can put on it for an emergency "spare" bike and possible future sale? I am on a fixed income and Home Depot doesn't pay much. I have read that some like Shinko or Kenda for low cost. I am not going to ride this bike cross country or anything, just for when the car is with the wife or if her bike is down. All suggestions are appreciated.
If I were more financially secure, I would be putting Commander II on and you wouldn't be reading this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh no, here we go again! I have several bikes Two Boulevards a Honda Manga (project bike) and Heritage Softail. My wife rides her Bouly and I mainly ride the Harley. My Bouly is really down for maintenance on issue is the LED on the speedo is dying and I can barely read the Miles and the biggest loss is fuel and range. The other reason is the tires are aging out. I was going to put Commander II on but I will be doing that on the Harley.
My question is what is, other than Dunlops, the cheapest but best tires I can put on it for an emergency "spare" bike and possible future sale? I am on a fixed income and Home Depot doesn't pay much. I have read that some like Shinko or Kenda for low cost. I am not going to ride this bike cross country or anything, just for when the car is with the wife or if her bike is down. All suggestions are appreciated.
If I were more financially secure, I would be putting Commander II on and you wouldn't be reading this.
I just go with whatever the cheapest tire that your local bike shop has with installation. Research all the Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzler/Pirelli, Michilin tires to see what you want.

Then get the cheapest ones, usually Bridgestone (which are also usually my favorite).

PS. Maintaining 5 bikes and then saying money is tight is a bit silly.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I like the Kenda Kruz and the Pirelli tires because of the low-mid price point and mid-point mileage. I have also found Rocky Mtn ATV to often have the lowest price.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I can certainly understand the financial issues. When I changed out my 2012 C50T I went with the Commander II because I thought it would be the cheapest in the long run. With over 8000 miles on them, I still can't see any wear.

Sometimes the lowest price isn't the cheapest price.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just go with whatever the cheapest tire that your local bike shop has with installation. Research all the Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzler/Pirelli, Michilin tires to see what you want.

Then get the cheapest ones, usually Bridgestone (which are also usually my favorite).

PS. Maintaining 5 bikes and then saying money is tight is a bit silly.
Thanks for your reply and before you call someone silly about a situation you don't know about, you might want to ask first. I also have two ATV's an RV and a house to maintain as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I buy the tires, Take the wheels off and I have a friend that has a tire changer. No installation charges other than a 6 pack!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with original equipment replacement. My Tires were 8 yrs old with over 8K miles and very little visible wear. I was a little worried about 8 yr old tires and my highway driving. I've always gotten alot of compliments on the whitewalls and I like the look too. I paid $450

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with original equipment replacement. My Tires were 8 yrs old with over 8K miles and very little visible wear. I was a little worried about 8 yr old tires and my highway driving. I've always gotten alot of compliments on the whitewalls and I like the look too. I paid $450
Ouch! was that with wheels off or on? I have always pulled my tires and do the maintenance on the shaft. I priced out Kendas and Shinko at Amazon and they are under $100 each. That may be the way I go. I already have new tubes on hand

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
The Shinko and Dunlop tires are about as durable as a pencil eraser. Yeah, they're cheap. But you gotta buy them TWICE in the same interval you would run a better set of tires, which in the long run makes them more expensive.

Pirelli, Kenda of the Michelin Commander 2 are all good mid priced tires that last just about forever. I've got the Michelins on my Vulcan and more than 6k on the rear, it still measures 8/32" tread.

If you can swing the cost, the Metzler is the cats azz.... I LOVE that tire. Love it love it love it. My dealer didn't stock my size when I needed tires, that's why I ended up with Michelin.

Tires are all that separate you from the pavement. It is the last place you want to cheap out...

Reactions: Vegoose

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for your reply and before you call someone silly about a situation you don't know about, you might want to ask first. I also have two ATV's an RV and a house to maintain as well.
That's my point entirely, you have 8 TOYS and are on a fixed income! As for the situation you are correct, I don't know it. I do know I would be unloading toys if I were in a low money situation.
I won't ask because your situation is none of my business.

This is just my thought process, I do not have the intent to upset or insult you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tires are all that separate you from the pavement. It is the last place you want to cheap out...
Can I yell out an AMEN! Save money elsewhere, maybe buy cheaper toilet paper, but put the best tires money can buy on your motorcycle. I've had great luck with Michelin PR's on my FJR and plan on putting Commanders on my son's C50.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My post was about tires for a spare bike. As it is now the bike needs a $300 Speedometer and that will not be purchased anytime soon or until my status changes. The bikes I do have are paid for and were acquired over the years I have been doing this and one reason for the tires is the possibility to sell my boulevard to cover some of my debts as it would sell better with reasonably new tires. I may have to bite the bullet and get a new speedo since the mileage is a factor in selling it. Most have to realize that I would not recoup enough money to cover my financial shortfall selling everything. Some of my "toys" need money to be fixed for possibility of a sale. I like everyone else has been hit by the last bad economy and it takes some of us longer to recover and others don't recover at all. I did not plan to retire when I did. A health problem did that for me after working for 29 years. Now that I am somewhat back to normal I will be going back to work other than the part time job that pays squat. I appreciate all the suggestions for the tires but the bike will sit for the most part I just can't justify putting good tires on a bike that will sit. I stated that my Harley needs tires and that will be where the money goes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My post was about tires for a spare bike. As it is now the bike needs a $300 Speedometer and that will not be purchased anytime soon or until my status changes. The bikes I do have are paid for and were acquired over the years I have been doing this and one reason for the tires is the possibility to sell my boulevard to cover some of my debts as it would sell better with reasonably new tires. I may have to bite the bullet and get a new speedo since the mileage is a factor in selling it. Most have to realize that I would not recoup enough money to cover my financial shortfall selling everything. Some of my "toys" need money to be fixed for possibility of a sale. I like everyone else has been hit by the last bad economy and it takes some of us longer to recover and others don't recover at all. I did not plan to retire when I did. A health problem did that for me after working for 29 years. Now that I am somewhat back to normal I will be going back to work other than the part time job that pays squat. I appreciate all the suggestions for the tires but the bike will sit for the most part I just can't justify putting good tires on a bike that will sit. I stated that my Harley needs tires and that will be where the money goes.
You owed nobody any explanation. Sorry if I caused any ill feelings about any of that, if even just the thought of the recent past.
I blame my wife for giving me this slightly more frugal mindset. :)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I don't speak for others, but don't take offense, please. I took those comments as 2cents worth of opinion just speaking their minds in conversation. Trying to politely get to know each other so we can all share ideas and maybe help out. Good folks here.

As for tires on a backup bike, I truly understand your predicament. I have four bikes in my garage and don't have budget to properly maintain one. I want to sell two, but need to spend money on them just to make them sellable.

The original IRC tires used to be cheap online. They're not high mileage tires but handle well, and certainly are safe. I'm pretty sure all new tires are safe, so I'm not sure where some of those comments about cheap tires come from. But some people may have had a bad experience on a certain brand or style.

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
To be frank, just sell the bike then. You're looking at investing close to $600 in tires and repair for what is essentially going to sit the rest of its life. Hardly worth the investment.

Put it on CL, with full disclosure that it needs repairs and send it to a new home. It makes no sense to put any money into something you're not going to ride. Especially if you're saying money is tight to begin with.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Can I yell out an AMEN! Save money elsewhere, maybe buy cheaper toilet paper, but put the best tires money can buy on your motorcycle. I've had great luck with Michelin PR's on my FJR and plan on putting Commanders on my son's C50.
Me too! I'm pretty picky about my tires and helmets. I want the best I can afford. However, price is not a good indicator of what is best in those two areas. Sometimes the best money can buy are not the most expensive, IMHO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have Commander II on my wifes bully and they are great. I rode it the other day and came across a grooved part of the freeway and it tracked smooth. Dunlops seem to try to follow each groove It also seems to corner better to me anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.