Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm basically parking my car now that I'm back in the saddle, I was trying to figure out a way to use my XM Roady XT on the bike...

I located a handlebar mounting bracket on eBay, and also purchased a 2nd car install kit for the wiring, but I was wondering about where best to place the antenna..? I'm thinking it would probably look the best if I can attach it to the top of the taillight cover, then route the antenna wire under the fender and seat, with the regular wiring.

This is the mount that I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Moun...yZ109273QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I will then route a headphone extension cable under everything and leave 2 pigtails sticking out just in front of either seat, for rider and passenger to plug ear-buds into...

-Tim

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I dont know how similar XM is to Sirius but would you really need an antenna with the radio being outside and not blocked by a car roof??

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good question, but since they have them for the XM walk/jog radios, I would assume it would be necessary. Also, with the metal interference, I would think it would help greatly.

-Tim

·
Registered
201 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't think the radio will even work without the antenna - displays an error code about a bad antenna connection.
If you have one of the portable units, i.e., Delphi MyFi or the Pioneer unit, it'll work, but you still won't have a satellite signal - just defaults to an Ipod mode to play whatever you recorded.

This is a nice mount, and has the bracket for the antenna: http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/roadyholder.htm

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
TGreene said:
That's a good question, but since they have them for the XM walk/jog radios, I would assume it would be necessary. Also, with the metal interference, I would think it would help greatly.

-Tim
metal? not much on our bikes

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah, with the Roady XT you're going to need an antenna. If you don't have a place to coil up all the 20 foot of wire on the standard antenna, you can buy them with shorter cable lengths.

There is a website named www.myradiostore.com that has micro antennas with 1, 2, 4 and 10 foot cables.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SuperDuty said:
Yeah, with the Roady XT you're going to need an antenna. If you don't have a place to coil up all the 20 foot of wire on the standard antenna, you can buy them with shorter cable lengths.

There is a website named www.myradiostore.com that has micro antennas with 1, 2, 4 and 10 foot cables.
I tried in vain to come up with something this afternoon, and nothing was working for me, so I just ordered the Premier Universal Motorcycle Mount from MyRadioStore, and went w/ expedited shipping so I'll have it installed in time for next weeks trip.

-Tim

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The XM satellite is installed and works beautifully.

I ended up ordering a different mount when I discovered the one I bought wasn't going to work as I had hoped. Once installed, I then ran a 6' stereo headphone extension cable under the tank to the front left side of my seat, and wire tied it into place. This allows me to run the ear-bud wires down the inside of my jacket, and plug them into the extension so that I'll never have to worry about wires flopping around and potentially causing a "situation"...

Also, I forgot that the XM Roadie has an internal volume setting, so coupled w/ the JVC Marshmellow ear-buds, this is perfect!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
SuperDuty said:

What I find amazing is that the shorter the cable wire, the more expensive the prices for the antenna.

I've got a Delphi XM2Go and use one of the micro antenna's with the 2ft cable that is on my handlebars, just to the left of the brake reservoir. Magnet base holds it to the handle bars but I also added a small tie wrap to make sure it stays put. not very noticeable. The radio is hooked up to a very small 200watt amp driving 2 - 4in speakers also mounted on the handle bars...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
mewellsar said:
Seeing as I am a habitual XM channel surfer I should NEVER consider doing this. I should probably even take it out of my truck.
I, too, am a habitual XM surfer. That is why my XM Sportscaster is mounted on the left handlebar. I sandwiched an inspection sticker plate under the mirror mount, and run motorcycletunes.com speakers and amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts