Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 c50. Bike sat for two years. I flushed fuel, threw a battery in and have put about 500 miles on it. The bike started to have idle issues once in a while. Thought okay maybe an injector, ill get to it next week. Riding the bike last week on a short jaunt after parking it outside for the first time overnight. Bike lost lots of power about 4 minutes into the ride. difficult to maintain freeway speed. Pulled into the emergency lane and looked back, the exhaust pipe was throwing sparks. I pulled off the freeway and the saddle bag caught fire as the rear pipe was glowing read. I was able to extinguish the flames without any damage other than the bad. With problem shooting, I threw new plugs in, tested spark in the middle of the day and the rear cylinder had solid spark. I removed the exhaust pipe as there was moulten metal coming out of the pipe and figured it was toast and didnt want any possble exhaust issues with a possible clog. Bike fired right up but was only running on the front cylinder. no heat from the rear exhaust, thus no fire, due to either no fuel, no spark (which we just tested).

what could be the issues? could enough backpressure in the exhaust (remember throwing sparks, and glowing read) have messed up the injector, causing no fuel for the later testing? im at a loss here.

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
Do a compression test. chances are real good that your rear cylinder self destructed and the molten metal was the cylinder components. If it is failed you are looking at a complete rebuild which parts and labor will exceed $2000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skrapiron, it is possible. however i dont think this is the issue as there is no noises, no hard starting etc. as the metal was melted in the exhaust pipe if it were the cylinder i would expect it to be seized at this point yes?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I'm going with my engine is toast for $500 Alex.

Can't tell where you're at, but I know a guy in AZ with a real nice 09 that runs great, and has really nice upgrades and add-ons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. fingers crossed my neighbor stuffed the pipe and the injector is toast. ill take a look later this week with a compression test.

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
That is melted aluminum. Aluminum will melt at 1,221*f. The only source of aluminum in your engine is the engine itself. You have big problems....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely do a compression test before going any further. If the rear cylinder has low/no compression, I'd stop there. Unless you're really attached to these things, in most cases they are not worth fixing- the c50 engine is semi-disposable anyway. If you really love the bike and want to keep it I'd find a used engine to swap the whole thing, or even just buy another whole bike and sell yours off for whatever you can get in parts. But, if it does have compression-

The initial symptom sounds very similar to what I experienced when the fuel pressure regulator failed, causing only about 15psi fuel pressure (ran extremely lean, ran like crap, very low power, exhaust was hot as the sun). I ended up having to limp the bike home about 40 miles, but ultimately the bike survived fine and still had OK compression. The root cause was a rusty tank that had plugged the filter as well, the little screens on the injectors were full of crap also. Ultrasonic cleaned the injectors while using a 9v to pulse them open, flushed the little screens out, and a new filter/regulator from a donor fuel pump assembly bought off ebay, and the bike ran like new and has been for the last 20k or so. So if you find you do have compression but no fire, I'd then test fuel pressure and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely do a compression test before going any further. If the rear cylinder has low/no compression, I'd stop there. Unless you're really attached to these things, in most cases they are not worth fixing- the c50 engine is semi-disposable anyway. If you really love the bike and want to keep it I'd find a used engine to swap the whole thing, or even just buy another whole bike and sell yours off for whatever you can get in parts. But, if it does have compression-

The initial symptom sounds very similar to what I experienced when the fuel pressure regulator failed, causing only about 15psi fuel pressure (ran extremely lean, ran like crap, very low power, exhaust was hot as the sun). I ended up having to limp the bike home about 40 miles, but ultimately the bike survived fine and still had OK compression. The root cause was a rusty tank that had plugged the filter as well, the little screens on the injectors were full of crap also. Ultrasonic cleaned the injectors while using a 9v to pulse them open, flushed the little screens out, and a new filter/regulator from a donor fuel pump assembly bought off ebay, and the bike ran like new and has been for the last 20k or so. So if you find you do have compression but no fire, I'd then test fuel pressure and go from there.
because it had had idle issues previously I’m crossing my fingers you have nailed it!I’ll get to the compression as soon as I can

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is melted aluminum. Aluminum will melt at 1,221*f. The only source of aluminum in your engine is the engine itself. You have big problems....
with this being a possibility, while the metal melts and reforms itself in different shapes, why wouldn’t it bond to whatever it melts to? For example, why was there zero issues restarting the motor, no funny sounds etc to indicate it seized?

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
Because the issue is internal to the motor. Whatever chunk of aluminum broke off, it made its way past the valves and into the exhaust header where it was heated sufficiently to liquefy and collect on the exhaust tip as it cooled. Your engine case, the cylinder head, the piston are all made of aluminum. There's no telling where it came from, other than inside the engine.

The engine is probably free spinning because your rear cylinder is at 0 psi since it melted its guts out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts