Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to have a power commander when you put new pipes on a 05 C50? I have been told yes are it will hurt the bike and people have told me also they didn't buy one and things work fine. Could someone clear this up for me? The stealer my just be trying to get deeper in my wallet, but, if I need a power commander then I will get one I would like to know the pros and cons of this please?
Thanks,
MF

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Yes, I think that's right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the C50 is fuel injected as opposed to carb, just switching the pipes should be fine, and may even improve the performance.

However, if you are going to change the stock filter to a K&N or something like a Thunder Air Kit, then you will need a Power Commander.

I think I'm right here... right??

Also, when you change your pipes, do a pair valve disable. Maybe even do one without changing the pipes. This will eliminate those nasty popping noises you'd soon encounter with new pipes. This procedure is amazingly easy, and detailed instructions can be found here...
www.therusks.com

-Slim

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
Slim I hope we're right seeing as I just ordered Straightshots for my C50. Did you do the pair valve thing? Looking at you pics it appears to be the Stage 1 disable.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I don't have a C50 but I have read some about the FI and the Power commander. From what I've read and what guys I trust very much have told me, any time you adjust the air flow, either in or out you need to adjust at the air fuel mix for optimal performance.

It may run "fine" without a change but it is not running as good as it can. That being said some FI systems are smart enough to adjust themselves to small changes. Is the C50 like that.....I am not sure. If it were me I would do it, but I like putting new stuff on my bike.

If I got new pipes I would never leave the air in the same. Air flow in same, Air flow out much greater.....engine not at 100%. That may not be true but I have been told that by bike wrenches not my dealer.

Some say no need and have done it and their bikes are running good. I put pipes on my bike 2 weeks before I did my rejet. Ran good no complaints, put the new needles in and BAMMMMM ran even gooder. Put the Thunder on the next week redid the jets and oh baby thats how it's supposed to run.

Good luck.

CG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most dealers can reprogram the stock FI chip to the optimum performance for around $100. The only downside to this is that you cannot tweak the settings like you can on an aftermarket FI computer.

Wild Man

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
beezer said:
Did you do the pair valve thing? Looking at you pics it appears to be the Stage 1 disable.
Yes, just stage 1. It's been working fine and I've had no complaints. Gonna get the Moccs kit this winter just to be on the safe side.

Glad to hear you got the VH pipes. They're f'n loud!

-Slim

·
Registered
125 Posts
Slimbone said:
beezer said:
Did you do the pair valve thing? Looking at you pics it appears to be the Stage 1 disable.
Yes, just stage 1. It's been working fine and I've had no complaints. Gonna get the Moccs kit this winter just to be on the safe side.

Glad to hear you got the VH pipes. They're f'n loud!

-Slim
Boy were you right on the loudness. Put the V&H straightshots on my C50 this weekend. Can't sneak into the house anymore. Wife can hear me coming way down the block.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
Put my straightshots on yesterday and they sound great. My dad helped me and had to back away because they were too loud for him and his liking. The bike runs fine. I didn't do the depair yet. I can see where the power commander and a new intake would improve the performance of the bike and let the pipes work to their full potential but I'm not into that at this point in time. That may change at any moment though. Overall I am very pleased. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts