Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, had my bike out all day today, running fine, stopped at my brothers for a few minutes, went to leave and no power, no lights, no starter, no nothing, changed the main fuse, checked the battery, made sure everything was where it was supposed to be, but still nothing! Any suggestions???

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't trust your brother.

·
Administrator
51,696 Posts
Possibly, the ignition switch is fried.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
My bet, kickstand kill switch as was mentioned. It can look fine but be just a little off.
I don't think that affects the lights though.
(I might have to go check)

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
How old is the battery? Might have a short in the battery. I've seen them go just like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You really need a voltmeter to track a problem like this down. Start at the battery, go to the main fuse, then the ignition switch. I recently had the same symptoms, assumed it was the ignition switch, but with my voltmeter traced the problem to a corroded terminal on the main fuse. A voltmeter is an inexpensive but essential tool in my opinion. Without one you're just guessing.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
One also has to question, what did "checking the battery" involve?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have cleaned all connections, got power but no starter, get this on my dash when i turn on the key CHEC anybody know what this means? Help

·
Registered
19,737 Posts
That means it has a problem. You'll need to pull the dealer code and see what it means. There's topics on here that tell you how to pull the code without taking it to the dealer. Hope it's something simple.

What year is your bike??

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Have cleaned all connections, got power but no starter, get this on my dash when i turn on the key CHEC anybody know what this means? Help
Again, how did you verify the battery is good?

About 95% of the time when people post with similar problems to yours, it's a bad battery.
You can have a battery that shows 13.5 volts, but has no amperage to offer.
I have yet to find a battery that has longer than a six month warranty.
They sometimes crap out at the drop of a hat.

I did a nonstop from Denver to home, appx 800 miles.
Not one hitch.
I stopped about 30 miles from home to fill up, went to start it after filling, and the battery was toast.
It can happen that fast without warning.

I still don't trust your brother. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the battery ground. place a voltmeter right on the battery terminals with the bike off. It should read about 12.5 volts. Move the probe on the ground terminal to the frame/engine. If the voltage goes to zero, check the ground terminal. Then the next check would be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had what sounds like the exact same thing happen to me yesterday.

I'm trying to remember exactly what happened. I went to the hardware store and when I parked the bike, I put the kickstand down and the bike shut off. I turned the kill switch off and took out the key.

When I came back out, I put the key in and turned it on, flipped the kill switch and didn't hear that sound it makes before you start the motor. It wouldn't start and I had that same message, CHECK.

I tried a couple more times starting over (key out, back in etc...)

Then, I decided to sit on the bike and pull the kickstand up pulled the key and popped it back in, turned everything on and bam... it started up.

This same scenario may have happened to me one other time a few months back.

·
Super Moderator
23,905 Posts
I had what sounds like the exact same thing happen to me yesterday.

I'm trying to remember exactly what happened. I went to the hardware store and when I parked the bike, I put the kickstand down and the bike shut off. I turned the kill switch off and took out the key.

When I came back out, I put the key in and turned it on, flipped the kill switch and didn't hear that sound it makes before you start the motor. It wouldn't start and I had that same message, CHECK.

I tried a couple more times starting over (key out, back in etc...)

Then, I decided to sit on the bike and pull the kickstand up pulled the key and popped it back in, turned everything on and bam... it started up.

This same scenario may have happened to me one other time a few months back.
You have to have the key in the on position, the kill switch off, and either the kickstand up or the bike in neutral before it will start. In your case, it was saying check because the kickstand was down and the bike was in gear.

That whirring noise you hear when you turn the key on is the fuel pump priming everything. Just an fyi for the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts