Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i got a quick question. On my way to work the other day i was riding and my foot shifter would not go past third on my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C90T. I tried to change the oil to see if that would help. I eventually could get out of third but then it was hard to get back down into second and first. Then today again i cant get out of third. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Welcome Nick! hope we can help you out. there's a Wealth of information here!

Might be clutch adjustment but it sounds like an internal transmission problem. It's a constant mesh trans so you should be able to upshift without using the clutch when it's moving. Does the bike jump when you put it in 1st while stopped? How many miles on it? Have you ever lubricated the shift linkage?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had shift issues.......it was my fault.

UPDATE and FIXED!!!!

I also found something else out about the Complete Clutch Adjustment and shifting problems. The Heel/toe shifter gap is critical....should be in the sticky.....dan

Mine was still, at times, hard to down shift.
So, I removed the bolt on the heel/toe shifter and inspected the GMAN Bushing, all clean, reassembled with blu-loctite and tightened down, but this time stopped just before feeling resistance....

My bike shifts better now than the day I bought it......so if anyone is missing a shift, may want to check to see if there's enough slop in the heel/toe shifter...

Here's a tip, replace the nut with a stainless steel nut with the nylon insert and you won't need loc-tite and then can make minor adjustments, test ride, minor adjustment, test ride and really get it nailed down..

Another tip: I measured the gap between the pivot point on my heel/toe shift lever between the black support bracket and it's 15 - 16 thousandths of an inch...Also gently pull back the little rubber boots and lube with Linthium grease, just a little shot from the can is all you need. Mine was never done at the dealer.

dan

Also check out the sticky, complete clutch adjustment....

Click here
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/170041-free-perfect-your-clutch-manual-page.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-

The bike has about 14k miles on it. I have not greased anything and yes it does jump when i put it into first. I will try all of these things. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lubed up. checked fluids. changed the oil. Still has trouble going back down to first when i stop.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
clutch needs adjusted. Seems it wont engage/ disengage properly. when u pull on the clutch, do u feel resistance? is the the clutch lever sloppy/ lots of free play?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Try the adjustment link in post #4

Just might be the problem.

oooppss..C90... won't work on it! :bigoops:

·
Registered
858 Posts
The C90 has a hydraulic clutch. It probably needs to be flushed, and bled. If the fluid is discolored I'd do it anyway.
Starting with the 2007 model, the clutch lever was changed to an adjustable one, like the brake lever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The bike has about 14k miles on it. I have not greased anything and yes it does jump when i put it into first. I will try all of these things. thanks for the help!
Now then bro, a clutch adjustment may well improve the selection of 1st gear, but it ain't going to fix the absence of 4th and 5th. Like the man said, this bike will change up and down nicely without a clutch, so that should point you toward a selector problem. Go to it!! RR

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 04 C90T is experiencing the same issues clutch seems to be out of addjustment, it also seems to be locking itself into 1st gear, i have already flushed and bleed the clutch
Question #1: is there a way to adjust the hydraulic clutch other than the handle?
Question#2: is it common for these machines to bend a shift fork? i have it apart and can turn the knob by hand but the shift fork sometimes jumpsout of place when i try to cycle the gears with the foot shifter.
Question #3: is it possible that i have welded clutch plate together? bike seems to want to run away when i try to start it.
i understand that all these questions are confusing but i hope someone can help
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
lubed up. checked fluids. changed the oil. Still has trouble going back down to first when i stop.
Are you attempting to shift into first before you stop or after you stop? You need to shift into first before you stop. If you wait until you stop, it isn't unusual for it to refuse to go. I that case, let out on the clutch a bit until just before it engages, pull it back in and shift down.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I bought a shifter bushing from gman and his instructions were torque to 20 lb. I did that and got the exact problem you are referring to I losened the shifter and retorqued to 16 lbs and problem GONE!!!! Shifts like butter now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all i got a quick question. On my way to work the other day i was riding and my foot shifter would not go past third on my 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C90T. I tried to change the oil to see if that would help. I eventually could get out of third but then it was hard to get back down into second and first. Then today again i cant get out of third. Any suggestions? Thanks!
You got a bent shifting fork my guess it's the second one and try lubricating your linkage it runs from your shifter to your main shift bar

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
You got a bent shifting fork my guess it's the second one and try lubricating your linkage it runs from your shifter to your main shift bar
I'm gonna guess that he fixed it at some point in the last nine years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts