Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I have been looking at the wiring for my bike and have reached a point where I am not sure how to wire the light onto my C50.

I originally planned to find the Orange/Blue (Option) wire at the fuse box, and using an eye-connector, put my new light wire onto that specific terminal, thus having my control box and fuse all near the seat area When I looked at the fuse box I have no idea how to get at the actual wiring that's coming from the front of the bike.

I may going about this all wrong, anyone have an idea on putting something else on this circuit correctly? Not worried about the amount of voltage because these are LED's and draw less that .4 amps. I could go onto the battery, but then have to hit the switch every time to turn off. I am trying to avoid that. A friend suggested cutting into the bundle of wire and stripping the Option wire and splicing to that, but I am not sure if I want to do that either.

Any suggestions as to how to do this best?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Administrator
52,344 Posts
There is a wire inside the headlight bucket, intended for Light-Bar hook-up, though, be advised, that wire is powered through the ignition switch.
I'm thinking that it is orange/blue, but I can't remember for sure....if it hasn't been used, it will have an open end, and it is a 10 Amp fused wire.
Tapping that same wire between the fuse box and ignition switch should be fine, IMO, but You may have to install a switch for the on/off feature.

I doubt that running LED lighting, drawing .4 amps would fry the ignition switch, (if tapped inside the headlight), however, it's usually best to create a complete circuit directly off the battery, (properly fused), to power accessories.
Some folks add a fused block, wired directly off the battery, for their accessories, which is probably the best thing to do, if You are going to add powered accessories in the future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man, Gonna figure it out soon, just need to find the right place to splice into that wire. Might be better / easier to have it near the control box (which I expect to put under the seat), but we will see where I splice. Appreciate it.
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
What kink of aux lighting is it? Just LED's to light up the bike or are they for running lights, markers or ??

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a wire inside the headlight bucket, intended for Light-Bar hook-up, though, be advised, that wire is powered through the ignition switch.
I'm thinking that it is orange/blue, but I can't remember for sure....if it hasn't been used, it will have an open end, and it is a 10 Amp fused wire.
Tapping that same wire between the fuse box and ignition switch should be fine, IMO, but You may have to install a switch for the on/off feature.

I doubt that running LED lighting, drawing .4 amps would fry the ignition switch, (if tapped inside the headlight), however, it's usually best to create a complete circuit directly off the battery, (properly fused), to power accessories.
Some folks add a fused block, wired directly off the battery, for their accessories, which is probably the best thing to do, if You are going to add powered accessories in the future.

i might be interested in doing this too, the bike is kinda dark at night and would like some maybe glow lighting on it. Your saying there is an open ended wire in the headlight just for adding lights? that sounds way to easy lol. I am just considering a couple strips like these.

5 x 15 LED 30cm Car Motor Vehicle Flexible Waterproof Strip Light Blue 12V | eBay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The light(s) I am trying to install are made by a company called Lunasee. The website is Lunasee | Active Side Lighting. The LED's are placed about a 1/2 inch away from your rims which have a pinstripe applied to it. The pinstrip glows when hit by Ultra Violet light. The effect reminds me of the bike's in TRON...
Completely for added visibility, and what I liked about it was someone looking from a distance will immediately know that it is a motorcycle.

Yes, there is a wire harness inside the headlight bucket that can be used for this (mine is already running my Light Bar). There is another thread about what my headlight bucket connector looks like but I can show you a picture if you want one... I will probably splice into this one and run these lights too...it's just a question of where to splice...

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Yeah, the C50 is pre-wired. Inside the headlight bucket. 2 connection pins like the ones for the turn signals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts