Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I've just changed the oil in the beginning of October (shortly after I've got the bike). Do you suggest I do it again?

From little research that I've done, Seafom is a hit and miss as well. Haven't researched Sta-Bil: I suppose I need to do more reading.

The heavy tarp and plywood sounds good! I have some foam floor tiles: I believe will provide a similar result.

The string+dryer sheets is a good trick: makes it easier to take the bike out for a ride.
Your oil should be fine unless you`re doing super long-term storage. Oil will develop some acids in it as a result of the combustion process and oil close to the end of its life would have the most acids. Not super critical, but rather not leave that in my bike over the winter. Yours should be fine.

The arguments over Sta-Bil and Seafoam are almost as contentious as asking "what`s the best oil for my bike?" on this forum. Everyone has an opinion and some are more vociferous than others. Make your own choice and live to fight the battle another day. LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your oil should be fine unless you`re doing super long-term storage. Oil will develop some acids in it as a result of the combustion process and oil close to the end of its life would have the most acids. Not super critical, but rather not leave that in my bike over the winter. Yours should be fine.

The arguments over Sta-Bil and Seafoam are almost as contentious as asking "what`s the best oil for my bike?" on this forum. Everyone has an opinion and some are more vociferous than others. Make your own choice and live to fight the battle another day. LOL
Thanks! And to add my 5 Cents: I believe Castrol POWER1® 4T Motorcycle Oil, 10W40 (1 Quart) x 4. Part # 06112 is the best! :wink2::laugh:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
I've also added sta-bil to my gas when I top it off for the winter. Never had a problem with it starting. It's on a trickle charger,( battery left in) in an unheated garage. I start it up after topped off to get the sta-bil into the injectors and stsrt it up for about 6-10 minutes twice a month to get some oit on the parts. After a couple months of starting it, I make sure I keep it topped off. Unless Im adding something that means I have to remove the tank. But as soon as I'm done, its refilled.

·
Super Moderator
20,060 Posts
another reminder also on making sure you clean the bike if you ride it in the winter after it has snowed...I made the mistake once of waiting a week and the chrome had already started pitting...after that I always allow a few minutes after I ride to clean...even if just a quick going over with a bucket of soapy water and sponge...get the chemicals off.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

Gold star for the SAT word.

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
74* Sunny t-shirt riding....today and today only, but it sure feels good.....Rode in to work, taking the long way home
..Noice

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
another reminder also on making sure you clean the bike if you ride it in the winter after it has snowed...I made the mistake once of waiting a week and the chrome had already started pitting...after that I always allow a few minutes after I ride to clean...even if just a quick going over with a bucket of soapy water and sponge...get the chemicals off.
Thank you! I'll make sure to clean the bike!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts