Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
Saw that one myself, I enjoy reading Lifehacker. It has some good suggestions in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Good info, but too much for me... run seafoam through the system, top off the tank, connect tender, cover with a blanket in my garage. Pull her out 2-3 times a winter to start up & idle in the garage. That's about it. Everything gets checked out in the spring along with a new sticker. It's worked fine for me!

In fact, spend a couple of hours today preparing the garage for Bessie's hibernation.... Hoping to get a ride or two in before then.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I take my seats off the bike and bring them in doors since the leather can eventually suffer from being in a cold garage all winter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A good tried and true method and if I lived in the extreme Northern climates I would probably due the same. But l prefer Rella Lou method. Here in Ohio there is always a spell every winter month that hits 50's and sometimes 60's. If it hits 60s and rain has washed away the salt I will ride it. That did not happen last year during the most exhausting winter I ever remember.

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
one thing I did learn last year for those that like to take advantage and ride on that occasional rideable day during the winter...take the few minutes when you return to immediately clean off any salt/road chemical that may have gotten on the lower chrome parts of the bike...got a bit lazy last year and by the time i got around to it...pitting had developed...lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
OK, I should know this answer, but I just wanted to get some feeling from others on winter storage.

Every year, I've put my bike(s) into winter storage the last day of October, or 1st of November, and at a facility with indoor, heated and alarmed security. The bike has the oil changed, stabilizer added to a full tank, put on a battery tender, then "locked up and unavailable" until April 15th. It is also "detailed" by the storage facility for me.

This year I am putting the bike into an indoor, heated & alarmed facility, (Storage facility) however, I will have to add the stabilizer (Seafoam??), clean it myself (I will have access to it all winter, so I can clean it at will) and will have to remove the battery and charge it at home all winter. (I use a "Battery Tender Jr." and will have to plug it in at home)

My question ................ can I leave the battery in and start the bike up once every week or two, or will this cause me "moisture problems" in the exhaust?? Some say it's OK, others tell me to avoid starting the bike like that, off and on, all winter, at all costs!
If I leave the battery in, I could get out for some quick rides right into December (weather permitting) and possibly as early as March, again, weather permitting.

Personally, I'd prefer leaving the battery in, and starting the bike occasionally, but, if it's going to cause me grief, I'll pull it out, and move bring the "Tender" home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.