Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonderin- Do any of you ride in the winter? I hadn't ridden in a month, and it killed me! So today (54 deg) I hopped on and took a nice 40 mile trip to see the still frozen Waconda Lake here in NC Kansas.

Also, for you that do ride, how cold is too cold? I ride around town down to about 40 deg. Any highway riding under 50 is hard for me to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was going to post a similar story. I had to shovel a path from my garage to the end of the driveway to get out, but I made it. Nothing beats the first ride of the year! Funny how cold 8 degrees felt at the end of the season and how warm 5 degrees felt at the beginning of this season. Go figure eh?

·
Registered
770 Posts
As long as it's not raining I ride. Coldest I've riden is 14 degrees. The best thing I've found for cold weather riding is the neoprene face mask.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Although I do enjoy cold weather riding, I decided to take her off the road after the first snow fell and the town over salted / sanded everything. I do highway ride down to 40°.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
50 degrees is the cut off for me. Lower than that? Nope! I don't have heated gear. Just the masks, gloves etc. If I DO ride below 50°, it's because I absolutely need to and only for short distances. (Getting work done at the shop or whatever) If it's under 50 and I ride for longer than 15 minutes, I lose feeling in my hands even with gloves on. And that is not a good thing should I need to stop suddenly and I can't feel if I have a hold of the clutch lever or brake lever. Not safe. So I'll wait. I'd rather make it home after my rides.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Weve planned a winter riding vacation (late Dec/early Jan) for the past 4 years. Granted, it's been out west, southwest and south, but the weather has been cold. We can do cold and dry but not cold and wet. As little as 8 days to 14 days in CA, AZ, Mexico and FL. 50 degree temps as highs for the day are normal. Clear, dry, sunny are most days and we ride from mid-morning to early afternoon. Layer up and take frequent breaks to enjoy that days destination and take in a warm snack. My wife enjoys the rides and we have a great adventure to share with family and friends.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The coldest I have ridden is 13 degrees. But that was when I was younger. I took a ride in December at 29 degrees. Bot normally anything above 40 and dry, I am riding. Get yourself a gerbings heated jacket. It makes all the difference, I don't get cold even at 40 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
28,292 Posts
I ride year round, but I'm in Atlanta, GA, so it doesn't get that cold here. My only limitation is water in any form. I don't ride in the rain, snow, and definitely not when there's a potential for ice. Over the winter I keep the rides shorter, typically less than 4 hours, but I still get out there.

I have a National Cycle 2-up shield with lowers, Cobra crash bars with chaps, and heated gloves. I find with all of that I just need my leather chaps, leather jacket, and a pair of long johns and I'm good down to the low 20's, which is plenty low for here.

I like to give yankees a hard time about putting their bikes up in the winter, but I wouldn't ride on your roads in the winter either. With all of the salt and sand they put down it's pretty dangerous for a bike. If we don't have ice on the ground it's pretty safe here no matter how cold it gets. Basically, it boils down to the fact that I don't care about temperature, I only care if the roads are good enough to ride on.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I'll ride as long as the road conditions are not bad. I've taken several rides this year so far. Mostly running errands and things, but I'd rather be on the bike than in the van.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Usually my cut off is 38 degrees. However this winter both cages went down at same time do had to ride the bike to work. Rode one morning at 22 degrees. Used my full face and was warm enough that I kept the visor open. Felt like a Real biker then I met another REAL biker. He had on a 3/4 helmet without a shield and red faced he grinned at me and waved. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ride/commute pretty much daily! Living in SoCal Valley it doesn't get too cold and is dry but temps are still regularly in the 30s in my morning ride! Had 1 week that was in the 20s and had to cut it since I don't have heated gear. But 30s on up are fine for 15 miles with some layers and worth it for a pleasant afternoon ride home!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I ride year-round here in North Carolina (Raleigh area) but normally only when it is above 50 degrees. If it is colder in the morning I may head out anyway if I know it will warm up. My hands are generally what gets cold so I invested in Gerbings heated gloves and jacket liner - have been very satisfied. They heat well and have a great fit (gloves) and the liner goes all the way up around your neck.

Temps generally hover just above and below 50 in the coldest part of the winter around here - but alas, spring is just around the corner! Was about 55 and sunny here today - hmmm, should be riding!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I ride year round, but I'm in Atlanta, GA, so it doesn't get that cold here. My only limitation is water in any form. I don't ride in the rain, snow, and definitely not when there's a potential for ice. Over the winter I keep the rides shorter, typically less than 4 hours, but I still get out there.

I have a National Cycle 2-up shield with lowers, Cobra crash bars with chaps, and heated gloves. I find with all of that I just need my leather chaps, leather jacket, and a pair of long johns and I'm good down to the low 20's, which is plenty low for here.

I like to give yankees a hard time about putting their bikes up in the winter, but I wouldn't ride on your roads in the winter either. With all of the salt and sand they put down it's pretty dangerous for a bike. If we don't have ice on the ground it's pretty safe here no matter how cold it gets. Basically, it boils down to the fact that I don't care about temperature, I only care if the roads are good enough to ride on.

And us Yankees appreciate your ribbing! :wink:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, I thought id get called crazy for ridin when its still cold! I didn't even think about it bein the first ride of the year! It was definitely a nice one for bein 50 degrees in January, in KANSAS haha

·
Registered
371 Posts
Coldest I have ridden this year is 28, but I have been as low as 18. I find people don't mess with you when you show up for work with ice on the backs of your gloves...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been riding everyday since the new year but the coldest it's gotten is 41 degrees here in Tucson which I have to admit had me asking why. It was bit much with no heated gear and a 3/4 helmet. I have since gotten a balaclava which helps enormously so I think I'm good down to about 40. I work 2nd shift so the rides home are still cold tonight should be about 45 but the ride in makes it so worth it!

·
Super Moderator
22,500 Posts
as long as the roads are clean of snow and ice and its high 20's and above...lets ride.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No ice and snow !! I ride. When its in the 20ts I stay of the interstates so I can ride a little slower. Less wind chill. Just beware of the gravel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts