Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right winter is coming. :crying:
So when you put your bike away for the season, do you change the oil and put it up off the ground, or do you put it up and wait for spring to change the oil?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I give Bessie a full tank of gas, mix in the appropriate dose of stabilizer (I'll be using Seafoam this year), run it through the lines, top off the tank, and tuck her away in her hibernation spot.... That's what I do. I would plug the exhaust with rags, but I know I don't have mice. Will do the oil change and anything else in the spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i never do an oil change before i store my toys. i change it out in the spring. i dont see the value of putting in new oil to let it sit for six months and collect water.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The first year I had my M50, I did it all in the fall --- as said above --- last year, I did it all except change the oil and filter (lazy, I guess). But I noticed in the spring, that it rode just as well after a spring oil and filter change.

We have four bikes (hubby, me, son and son) in a two-car garage so we tuck 'em in real tight. We don't put them "up" - we just put them on rubber pads - the kind that "click" into each other - easy rip apart - used for kids play area too - that type of pad - just to keep the bikes off concrete. We cover ' em up too. It gets cold in Brampton, eh, so they need a nice warm blanket! Chuckle - ok, we cover them to keep dust, etc from settling on 'em, and to hopefully ward off any furry creatures that might think the bike is a nice winter home!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Like Rellalou, I do the Stabilizer treatment and run it to circulate it into the fuel system parts.

The battery gets disconnected and a charge every couple of weeks using a Ctek like this.... Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers I'll leave it connected for a couple of days till the cords get in my way in the shop.

So far as oil changes go, if the storage temps are not regulated to a fairly constant temp, some condensation will occur whether you change the oil or not.

With old oil, the condensation will combine with the acid by products of combustion and can cause corrosion. The oils we use do have additives to counter the acid... indicated by the ''TBN rating" and most of the oils we use have a good cushion given that most tend to change the oil fairly often and the TBN is built for bigger/more cylinder engines that ours so in theory there shouldn't be a problem...

That said, I feel better about the bike sitting all winter with a coat of new oil on the internal parts that has less than a couple of hundred miles worth of combustion contaminants stored up inside a new dose of TBN additive plus most solids that might be accumulated are drained out in the hot oil.

Most of the time the oil drained from our bikes can, with a little care, be reused in small engine applications and as top up for other older vehicles.

Covering the bike and lifting the tires off the floor along with the exhaust plugging if there is a mouse type expectation in your location are all good storage practices.

Not many go to the trouble of pulling the spark plugs to add a spoonful of oil to each cylinder........ Might consider that if you are storing it for a couple of years with out running the engine though....

Reactions: uni_zapper

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very helpful thanks to all, I will put my bike up on the lift I use for changing the oil with some safety straps just in case, I also have a cover for it. My garage is unheated and yes there are mice so thanks for the exhaust tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.