Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to winterize my 08 C50 as usual (drain oil, fog cylinders, stabilize fuel, etc). Seeing as I will have the tank off to fog the cylinders and change plugs I was thinking of changing the coolant as well. However, I won't be starting the bike back up till April. Is it a good idea to change the coolant now or wait to spring?

Bike will be stored in my attached unheated garage - gets to about -5 C during winter.

Thoughts or concerns appreciated.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You'll need to start it up right after the coolant change to let it run through the engine, then top off again. Annoying to do since you have to connect the tank then unconnect, but worth it to know its full. And its not hard to disconnect the tank once youve done it once.

I'd do it now and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I have found that by measuring out the EXACT 1.5 liters and rocking the bike side to side to get the most air out, the remaining amount of the initial measured 1.5 liters is just sufficient to replace the antifreeze in the expansion tank on the lower left frame.

Remove that expansion tank before refilling and clean out the coolant sludge with CLR or vinegar. If the inside is coated too badly with sediment, let it sit for a few days to soften it up and then use crushed gravel in the CLR in the tank to pound out the hard stuff. You should be able to get it 95% of out of the tank.

Once the rad/engine is full and bled you will only have about 100ml left in your measuring jug for the expansion tank.

With that in the expansion tank, by the time you've cycled the engine to operating temp and then cooling down once or twice it should remove any remaining air in the system.

Sure hope that I don't need to replace the rad cap anytime soon.... $31.12 :moneyeyes:

OEM Parts

Reactions: Checkerflag

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to remove the tank twice - was originally looking for a short cut by doing the fogging and coolant at the same time. Good suggestion on measuring out the exact amount of coolant ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to remove the tank twice - was originally looking for a short cut by doing the fogging and coolant at the same time. Good suggestion on measuring out the exact amount of coolant ahead of time.
I don't believe that it would be necessary to remove the tank the second time to check the level in the rad.

If the level in the expansion tank stays close to the same as when you added the remainder of the 1.5 liters you ARE good to go and the expansion tank is easily accessible by removing the left side cover IF you can't see the level through the inspection slot for the expansion tank...

In any case, if you insist, checking the rad doesn't demand the complete removal of the tank. Just slide it back far enough to get at the rad cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my first idea was to change the coolant now but not restart the bike to circulate it through the engine until spring. That way I was going to fog the cylinders at same time. If you think I should cirulate the coolant first before storing then it's just going to be an extra step before the fogging. Not a big deal - just more time which is so precious lately.

Hope the snow holds off as the bike and the snowblower have to switch spots in the garage.:crying:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.