Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has having a windshield on your bike ever saved you from taking a blow to the face or chest from an object kicked up off the road? Twice so far for me, both times on the freeway. Once a large rock , the other time it happen so fast I don't know what it was. Had I not had a windshield it would have stuck me directly between the eyes.

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
Yes to answer your question, and on a side note. At supper tonight we were talking about a similar situation involving the ever popular moped these days. In WI moped riders don't need helmets (nor do motorcycle riders), however, they don't even need eyeglasses, no eye protection at all. They're classified the same as a bicycle so not even an endorsement is necessary. I could be wrong, but I think a stone kicked up from a tire of a motor vehicle would hurt just as much if you were riding a moped as if you were riding a motorcycle. Damn lawmakers can be so ignorant at times.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^^^^
Yeah, you'ed think it would be common sense. If your traveling fast enough to where impact to the face could cause damge, some eye protection should be required. But then i gave trying to make sense of law makers along time ago.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I have a couple of scratches in the chrome mounting plates for my windshield where rocks have hit them. I'd never ride without one.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Windshield has protected me from:
bugs (obviously) Rocks, hail, birds, flags flying from broken posts during PGR rides, cigarette butts, and in one occassion, a firecracker thrown by a little faggot a$$ twirp from the back of a pickup truck. His defense when I approached his parents at the next stop.

" I didn't see you there"

Little bastard. Sometimes I wish I was a mean old man instead of a passive young feller. :p

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Have some small somthing hit mine (small gravel from a tire?) a couple times., mostly big bugs.

In Florida, under 21 HAVE to wear a helmet .
Scooters/mopeds over 50cc have to wear a helmet unless they opt out w/ $10k rider on insurance and have a motorcyle endorsement.
Tho I think alot of people (scooter and bikers) think Florida doesn't
have a helmet law.

edit: modular helmet here and the shield.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
After taking a few bugs/pebbles/sticks/etc to the eyes and face on my mountain bike I pretty much decided sunglasses were a necessity. Not only does it hurt, but you get distracted and could easily get seriously hurt. It's not going to feel any better on a moped/scooter.

I was bike riding behind a friend last year when I saw him swerve towards a telephone poll, lock up his breaks and come to a skidding stop right next to the side of a bridge with about a 10 foot drop down to the water. I pulled up along side him and said wtf was that? His answer...a bug in the eye.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
My windshield serves as a goal for the flung objects to fly over! They like to sail right over the leading edge and catch some exposed part of my face. :?

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OTG said:
My windshield serves as a goal for the flung objects to fly over! They like to sail right over the leading edge and catch some exposed part of my face. :?
Maybe you better raise that sucker about one inch :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts