Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my bike thought it would be a good idea to use steel wool to clean the road grime of the wind screen.:scream:
Now I know most of this can be buffed out but I'm looking for any advice on the best proven products to use and detailed steps to follow.
I have the original C50T windscreen.
Has anyone ever tried the headlight repair products out there for clearing up oxidized car headlights?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Depending on how deep the steel wool scratches are you might be able to get a passable result using the popular headlight polishing methods...very fine wet sanding followed by buffing compound. Or you could get a piece of clear 1/8" lexan and cut a new one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
claywheels,
I bought a bike with a Memphis Shades screen that had a general haze and a few significant scratches. I bought a 3M kit for headlight cover restoration. If I recall, it had 300, 500, 800, 2000, and 3,000 wet/dry paper and some rubbing compound. That followed by some Plastic X plastic polish brought it back to new.

Now the cautionary part of the tale. Take it off the bike and remove all the hardware. Once you hit it with the sandpaper, it looks like it is ruined. Stay with it and spend twice the amount of time on each successive grade. If you sanded 10 minutes with the 500 grit, plan on 20 minutes with the 800 grit, and so on. It takes time, lots of it. but it buffed out just great. Might be worth a try.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on how deep the steel wool scratches are you might be able to get a passable result using the popular headlight polishing methods...very fine wet sanding followed by buffing compound. Or you could get a piece of clear 1/8" lexan and cut a new one.
I'll pass on making my own, I'm not that smart or equipped.
I'll let you know how the headlight restore kit works.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts