Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals,

I am looking into getting a windshield for a few reasons.

1. Wind = wet eyes = blurred vision = wreck

2. Wind fatigue = tiresome riding

3. Colder riding will be more bearable

Now, those reasons being considered what is the best type of shield I should be looking into? I have a full face helmet and it's great on covering the above reasons but I'd like to wear my half shell and sunglasses in the summer, the googles are not comfy to me. But with sunglasses, as soon as the wind hits my eyes I get all teary.

Windshields range from tiny thin sporty to police style huge. Not sure where good face protection starts or stops.

Thanks in advance!
Ps I have a Boulevard S50
ImageUploadedByMO Free1389898758.769882.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
25,130 Posts
I have a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade, which is police style huge, but I think it looks good on the bike. I will say that one of the greatest things about it is the fact that it's a Switchblade. That series of windshields are mounted with quick release brackets that allow you to take them off in 2 seconds, literally. The advantage there is that sometimes in the summer I'll pull it off and cruise around town with the wind in my face, but I can pop it back on for colder weather or longer/faster rides.

I don't think anyone can tell you what to buy, it's really personal preference. I will say that, as far as height, it is recommended that the top of the shield line up with the bridge of your nose when you're on the bike. In other words you should be looking just over the top while riding. With mine, I look just below the top while riding and I'm happy with that, but once again, personal preference.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Glasses are fine until a dragon fly hits you in the neck at 50 mph. I 100% agree with the recommendation of a shield that allows you to look just a little bit over the top. My new-to-me bike came with a Switchblade Deflector but I'm upgrading to the Chopped before the summer.

Rocks and bugs are your enemy!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have a pretty small windshield. It is just enough to allow for comfortable riding and streams the air up & over my head, but I look out over it. I'm only 5'2", so we all know how short this windshield must be. I love it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Decision on windshield height is most important IMO. Some folks like to look over and others through. Decide which type you are or get one that has enough adjustment to go either way. The stock windshield on my C50 would not go low enough to allow me to look over the top. I replaced it and am much happier looking over it. The wind is now deflected where it hits the top of my helmet and provides the intake vent with plenty of air.

On glasses, I just ordered some Wiley X Blinks after trying on many brands. Try on a bunch. Every face is shaped differently.

When you get a windshield I'd recommend getting lowers too. They make a tremendous difference.

·
Super Moderator
25,130 Posts
Glasses are fine until a dragon fly hits you in the neck at 50 mph. I 100% agree with the recommendation of a shield that allows you to look just a little bit over the top. My new-to-me bike came with a Switchblade Deflector but I'm upgrading to the Chopped before the summer.

Rocks and bugs are your enemy!!
Shields are better than goggles in my opinion, but it's just that, my opinion. In seriously considering getting a chopped too and keep my 2-up, you can switch between them since the brackets are the same.

:wayhappy:

When you get a windshield I'd recommend getting lowers too. They make a tremendous difference.
+1,000,000 on the lowers. I had bad buffeting until I got lowers, now it's smooth as silk. As a plus, they're really shiny chrome!

:moneyeyes:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I also discovered another benefit of my look-over windshield- When it's drizzling while I'm riding, the airflow keeps my helmet visor dry & clear, but since I'm looking out over my windshield, my view is not obstructed by a splattered windshield. I discovered this while riding with the girlz one day in a light rain. They were having visibility issues through their shields, I could see perfectly. :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
never wanted a shield...image issue...never saw Brando riding anything w/ a shield...first year riding by the end of the season realized why people use shields...like you stated, wind fatigue...better for cold weather riding...so figured I invest in one for colder temps and for long trips...problem being once it went on, loved it so much never came off. In my case buffetting wasn't an issue with my vol so lowers weren't necessary but when i got my c90 it was, so I invested in lowers...they do make a huge difference. As for size, I prefer the wider "chips" style versus thinner and prefer to look over rather than thru. Nice feature with a shield is one can attach a shield pouch to the inside and have avaiable storage pockets that you will find quite handy.

Had the national cycle on my vol and presently the memphis shades on my c90...both good...memphis shades does offer different color schemes to compliment the bike for tthose wanting to add that touch.

Memphis Fats & Slim

good luck...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also discovered another benefit of my look-over windshield- When it's drizzling while I'm riding, the airflow keeps my helmet visor dry & clear, but since I'm looking out over my windshield, my view is not obstructed by a splattered windshield. I discovered this while riding with the girlz one day in a light rain. They were having visibility issues through their shields, I could see perfectly. :wayhappy:
Actually they (not sure exactly who they is lol) suggest getting a windshield that is just at nose height so you see over it and not through it; specifically for the reason you mentioned, so good call. But to each their own, some want to look through and that usually isn't a problem as long as your not caught in the rain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with the Memphis Shades Malibu in a black gradient. Its small enough to maintain a sporty look, but big enough to block a large amount of wind so say the reviews. ImageUploadedByMO Free1390332217.396915.jpg

It arrived today so ill post up pics when it's warm enough to do an install and test ride.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and tips!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd say that's a good solid choice; looks like it'd provide all the similar coverage as a fairing without the fairing look. I've never ridden with that windshield but if it provides you with the same coverage as my fairing does for me you'll ultimately be happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts