Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to clean your windshield? I have a Memphis Fats and since new last summer have cleaned it with Windex and a microfiber towel. I have had good luck with this until this spring. My windshield had a few swirl marks in it so I buffed it out with some Novus #2 fine stratch remover.

The shield looked great... just like new. However, when I cleaned it with Windex again, the shield appeared foggy. Using the Novus polish again brought it back to perfect but everytime I clean it with Windex it fogs over. I don't recall this happening before the Novus. Could the Windex be reacting with the Novus? I really don't want to have to polish it with Novus everytime I clean the bugs off! What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
370 Posts
you don't want to use Windex Glass Cleaner. the ammonia will dry it out and will cause the fogging. I've heard of other members on here using pledge to clean it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have used Honda Spray & Polish, and also Lemon Pledge. Both products work well for me. I used them on all surfaces. Paint on metal, paint on plasti-chrome, real chrome, vinyl, plexi. If it's on a bike, you can clean it with these products.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nexus and Lemon Pledge and a Tee shirt....no paper towels or any tough material, just cotton.

And, of course, lots of elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
+3 on Plexsis. Also used in aviation.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Another + for Plexus. I don't have my windshield anymore but use it all the time to clean the faceshield on my helmet. Good stuff!

·
Registered
7,112 Posts

Got these at W-mart . These things are great. 25 paper towel sized pre-moistend towels ina a re-sealable pack. I use them for the windsheild and quick clean up on both chrome and paint. Even give the seat and bags a quick clean up.
No residue, no amonia, no streaks. They pack easily in the saddlebag.
I found another use for them that Pledge didn't think of. After I clean the windshild I use the same towel to wipe my brake disc with. Gets rid of that annoying brake squeal for another hundred miles or so.
Try' em, you'll like 'em! :wink:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I like S100 cleaner/polish. works wonders on just about all surfaces on a bike.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I use a couple of products that work well. At home I use ProtectAll. It comes in a blue spray can and comes out like foam. Apply with a microfiber anywhere on the bike including the windshield. The other is the often recommended Lemon Pledge wipes. Works good. I carry a pack in the saddle bags to have them handy anytime. Really important during Love Bug season. Bug guts tend to etch if they are left on too long.

Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! Plexus looks promising.... but being the cheap sob that I am I mixed up a 50-50 solution of good old white vinegar and water today. Tried it on the freshly polished surface and no clouding! I don't know how well it will clean our cement- like northern new york bugs yet but time will tell :lol:

Polishing the shield with the Novus must have removed some kind of coating from the windshield because the Windex never caused any cloudiness last year. Oh well, for now it looks great!

·
Registered
989 Posts
From the Mounting Instructions for my Memphis Shades Windshield:

Glass cleansing agents will cause severe damage to your windshield and will void your warranty.

Never use glass cleaning products, or products containing ammonia, bleach or harsh chemicals.

The windex is causing the "fogging".

Below from HERE :

First, what to avoid: - do NOT use windex- the ammonia attacks the plastic - do NOT use products that contain petroleum distillates - do NOT use washer fluiid- it contains methanol which can attack the plastic and it's primary purpose is anti-freeze anyway - do NOT be tempted to use gas station paper towels (or any paper towels), they are just wood pulp and can scratch - certainly do NOT use the squeegy at the gas pump - do NOT use Rain-Ex, varying reports of problems with plastics (it can cause crazing / fine cracks after repeated use. More than a few people have ruined their windshields that way.
1. Mix 2 oz. Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and 8 oz. water in a spray bottle - this works great for removing bugs and gunk. I carry a very small spray bottle with me.
2. Mist the windshield throughly with the solution, and place a damp towel over it. Go do something else for 15 mintues or so. Do not let the towel dry out. This will loosen most of the bug carcuses. I also place a another towel over the front fender to catch the run-off. 3. After cleaning with a *cotton towel*, spray the shield with Lemon Pledge Furniture Polish and wipe with clean cloth. Pledge works great on windshields and helmet visors. I does not scratch (non abrasive), and can even help fill in scratches a little. Will also help to future bugs from sticking. I have heard the lemon scent can attracts bees. Never has happened to me. If you want, you can get a no scent bottle. If I do get some deeper scratches, I use Eagle One Plastic Polish and Protectant.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For a quick clean-up on the windshield I use lemon pledge. Spray it on and let it set for a few minutes. Wipe it off using a cotton towel then rinse. For heavy bug build-up I put a sopping wet warm towel on the windshield and let it soak for five to ten minutes. I then clean with a soapy cotton towel, rinse and blow dry with my leaf blower.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Is Plexus commonly sold in automotive part stores or even Wally World?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
only have seen it cycle stores, dealers and aviation supply store.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts