Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many comments on this forum with “it’s just an 800”, “it will never be a Harley”, “save your money for a bigger bike”. I like this bike. Here’s why:
  • It’s comfortable. I can stretch out on it. I never feel cramped. I am pretty average sized and it just works.
  • It is easy to ride. I moved to the Volusia from a 250 Rebel. I thought that double the weight would be significant. Nope. It feels good and I can flick it around turns no problem.
  • It looks good. I love the lines of this bike and the chrome. The few plastic parts are meh but honestly it’s not like I go around feeling other people’s bikes to see if each part is metal or ABS. The headlight and aux lights are especially nice with those fork covers
  • It’s inexpensive. It cost me $1300. You can’t beat that.
  • It’s big. This bike has presence. Style is a little out of date (newest being all about all black everything), but I like this era.
  • It pulls. Would I like a bit more pep when I am going 80 and suddenly want to accelerate? Sure. But that happens so rarely that I don’t really care. With DJ Drive installed and the quick throttle mod I feel good about it.
  • It’s got a single carb. About as easy as it can get before going FI.
  • It looks amazing with white wall tires. Not all bikes can pull off that look.
  • It’s quiet by default. While personally I am looking to get aftermarket pipes, the fact that it starts so quiet is nice.
  • My bike is debadged. Nobody knows what the hell it is :)
  • It is fun to ride.
  • It is reliable. I have had maintenance stuff I’ve had to do on it, including some unexpected stuff, but it has never left me stranded. The one time it had an issue (aux lights shorted out due to me making a mistake with wiring them), I took half the bike apart with the included toolkit and fixed the issue in a gas station parking lot.
Anyone else happy with what they got?

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Ride what you enjoy and don't worry about anyone else's opinion. The C50 is a good bike.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I put more miles per year on my 04 VL800 than my other 2 bikes combined. All they need is a Mustang seat and a 90 rear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So far, my C50 has been thoroughly reliable, comfortable, and a good long-distance rider. Just what I like. It's been easy enough to do basic maintenance on, although I'm still not as familiar with it as my former Shadow...but I've only had the C50 for a couple of years. I had the Shadow much longer and because of that, I knew my way around it

But...Having to lift the gas tank just to change the plugs?
Great googley-moogley, what the hell was that about. :mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doing a valve adjustment on this bike is a knuckle scraper for sure. So is taking off the carb. On the plus side the tank is easy to take off. I’ve done it about 12 times in 10 months so far (had to do a bunch to clean up PO’s mistakes).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is a c50 t 2008. I love it. No there is not a lot of power but thats what sportbikes are for. It is comfortable and reliable. It gets lots of comments. My harley buddy even mentioned how everybody was oohing and aweing over my bike when we park next to each other. Plus the cost of this bike was great! I could have bought 3 of them for the cost of a harley. Its too bad so many people get caught up in wether its a harley or not? I never understood that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too many comments on this forum with “it’s just an 800”, “it will never be a Harley”, “save your money for a bigger bike”. I like this bike. Here’s why:
  • It’s comfortable. I can stretch out on it. I never feel cramped. I am pretty average sized and it just works.
  • It is easy to ride. I moved to the Volusia from a 250 Rebel. I thought that double the weight would be significant. Nope. It feels good and I can flick it around turns no problem.
  • It looks good. I love the lines of this bike and the chrome. The few plastic parts are meh but honestly it’s not like I go around feeling other people’s bikes to see if each part is metal or ABS. The headlight and aux lights are especially nice with those fork covers
  • It’s big. This bike has presence. Style is a little out of date (newest being all about all black everything), but I like this era.
  • It pulls. Would I like a bit more pep when I am going 80 and suddenly want to accelerate? Sure. But that happens so rarely that I don’t really care. With DJ Drive installed and the quick throttle mod I feel good about it.
  • It’s quiet by default. While personally I am looking to get aftermarket pipes, the fact that it starts so quiet is nice.
  • It is fun to ride.
  • It is reliable. I have had maintenance stuff I’ve had to do on it, including some unexpected stuff, but it has never left me stranded. The one time it had an issue (aux lights shorted out due to me making a mistake with wiring them), I took half the bike apart with the included toolkit and fixed the issue in a gas station parking lot.
when it gets to 95° , you can’t ride a harley through my town...end of discussion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the last 25 years I’ve only been a few years without a bike. In all that time I’ve owned 3 Intruder 800’s, about to be 4. For me, it’s exactly my size. It has just the right amount of power, and it’s incredibly nimble. I’ve customized each and every one and I love that I can actively find after market parts and accessories that fit/work. Many of those bits and pieces have seen several bikes, like my tank, shocks, and seats. With a few exceptions, it’s easy to work on and is comfortable both in the mountains and on the highway. I’ve already found a new one, and I honestly can’t wait until I’m healthy enough to ride the new one for many more years!

·
Registered
37 Posts
  • It is fun to ride.
I loved mine. It was well balanced, smooth riding, and loved the driveshaft and water cooled. When I told people it was an 800 nobody believed it. It looked larger that that. I removed the rear turn signals, put the license plate under the taillight, and put a smoked taillight with signals built in. It looked sharp. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the finished project.
03-11-10.jpg
04-06-10.jpg
1.jpg
03-11-10.jpg
03-11-10.jpg
04-06-10.jpg

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Very happy here. Bought my first in '07. Had 80,000 miles on it when an uninsured driver pulled out in front of me. My insurance paid, and nobody said anything about totalling the bike, so I still have it. I bought bike #2 at that time & rode it 120,000 before the chain stretched and it slipped a tooth. So for $1500, I picked up bike number 3, swapped the engine into #2, and I've been borrowing parts off #3 since then. Boulevard has been pretty much my daily commute vehicle since 2007, and compared to driving my Ranger all those miles, it has saved me a lot of money while being fun as hell to ride. When my current engine goes, I haven't quite decided whether I'll resuscitate Bike #2 a second time, or get myself a newer one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Very happy here. Bought my first in '07. Had 80,000 miles on it when an uninsured driver pulled out in front of me. My insurance paid, and nobody said anything about totalling the bike, so I still have it. I bought bike #2 at that time & rode it 120,000 before the chain stretched and it slipped a tooth. So for $1500, I picked up bike number 3, swapped the engine into #2, and I've been borrowing parts off #3 since then. Boulevard has been pretty much my daily commute vehicle since 2007, and compared to driving my Ranger all those miles, it has saved me a lot of money while being fun as hell to ride. When my current engine goes, I haven't quite decided whether I'll resuscitate Bike #2 a second time, or get myself a newer one.
Wow! Awesome 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
  • It is fun to ride.
2008 C50T I bought it new for half of what a used harley. cost. Besides tires, i replaced clutch and the starter. not bad for a bike with over 100000 miles on it. IF i ever wear it out will definitely buy another. I love this ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts