Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is about your 800 suzuki that makes it such a popular ride ?
Is it price ,,I hope it's not just the price, ease of customizing , great ride?
From what I see on this site there's a ton of us that enjoy them
But I bet there's many different views on it,

I like the size, just right for me, I don't want to ride something that I have bull around, takes the fun out of it and becomes work

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't answer for others but I purchased my 2005 C50 for several reasons:

1. Fuel injection vs. carbs
2. Electronic ignition
3. Shaft drive
4. Liquid cooled
5. Low mileage (had only 8,102 miles when purchased last May.)
6. Dealer allowed me a few dollars for my '87 stripped Concours.

I just turned 60, and although I miss the "grunt" of a higher displacement bike I have to admit that the C50 does everything just about perfect. It's stock, save for some risers on the handlebars. It was also in my price range. And it's a damned good looking bike. ~ S ~

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
What is about your 800 suzuki that makes it such a popular ride ?
Is it price ,,I hope it's not just the price, ease of customizing , great ride?
From what I see on this site there's a ton of us that enjoy them
But I bet there's many different views on it,

I like the size, just right for me, I don't want to ride something that I have bull around, takes the fun out of it and becomes work
Three words. Price, price and price. You get a lot of bike for not a lot of money. It lets the casual rider whet their appetite without a 20k pricetag. It is the best bang for the buck you can find.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm with SlowHandSam on three counts
1. Fuel injection
2. Shaft drive
3. Liquid cooled

This is the first bike I've owned and didn't feel comfortable with a bigger bike.

Now that I've had it a while, I've discovered the customization options available are pretty extensive. Couple that with an attractive initial price and you've got a pretty good thing going.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
When I bought the C50 it was because of styling...........big bike style without the big bike cost. Ended up with the big bike anyway-3 years and 25k miles later.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Overall Bang for the Buck. The size is not too big for now and not too small for the near future as I get better. The reputation of working all the time (with regular maintenance of course).

I was looking at the c50 or vulcan 900 - I just happened upon a great deal for the c50 and am completely happy.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A lot like Sam as well, for the following reasons:

2. Fuel injection
3. Electronic ignition
4. Shaft drive
5. Liquid cooled
6. Bang for the buck - low mileage (2008 had only 6,500 miles when purchased last October.)

My #1? C50 is a nice bike for the newbs IMO. Brand new rider at age 50 fresh off the MSF. I was worried about a big bike, especially after doing the class on a Suzuki 125! My C50 has been great! big enough but not too big - i love it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
pretty much the same as everyone else.
1. FI
2. Water Cooled
3. Shaft Drive
4. Inexpensive.

It's a pretty low maintenance bike, more time riding, less time fixing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Other than the above it's got lots of room. I'm 6' 3", 235 lbs and not cramped. On the Vulcan 900 it's a squeeze. My only problem with them is their stock seat. Their gel is not much better. It keeps Mustang in business.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The style of the bike.

The comfort rides better than many bigger bikes.

The power more the enough for most cruiser riders unless you are riding two up fully loaded with touring gear and doing big, big, miles, maybe then and only just maybe a bigger bike would be better.

Cruising speed not sure on the speed limit in the States but here in Australia 65mph is the limit and a C50 can do that easily.

Big bike feel for a 800cc motorcycle, I ridden bigger bikes that feel smaller than the C50 eg: Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster and others, one thing I don't miss when I owned my bigger bikes is the weight factor the C50 is so well balance.

There are other things I like about my bike but I must also say this you can't get a better bike for the price of them they are great value and not all of us can afford to spend mega bucks on a motorcycle I know I can't, so yes happy with my C50.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Friends,
Had a Royal Star Venture back in 13, after extensive shoulder operation had to sell that 880+pounds of bike.
When I got my 06 C50 at 200 pounds lighter in 11/13, really have enjoyed riding my 'BABY". Got hit in rear 7 January while making a turn into our driveway, in the shop with $1,900 damage.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought this bike without ever even seeing one. My friend bought one, I didn't know she even rode... I started to ask her what the bike had... floorboards? fuel injection? liquid cooled...? everything I was asking she kept saying "yup" I asked what the bike was, started looking on Craigslist, found one in Austin while I was in Montreal, flew down and bought it, no test ride... been in love ever since!!!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Were it not for my wife liking the Vol. better, I'd be riding a HD Interceptor....I often question whether this was one time when I shouldn't have caved in too spousal pressure.

I like having shaft drive and liquid cooling....but...HD's power, easier servicing, better new & used aftermarket (goodies), and higher quality components (metal VS chromed plastic for instance) make for a pretty compelling argument.

Next bike will probably be a Harley (or an Indian or Victory will have to see what kind of aftermarket exists for em.). All in all the metric aftermarket sux. I'm tired of if you want it, you have to make, modify and/or scrounge it from another bike's parts bin. Tired of tempermental behavior from fuel and weather. Tired of having to be a contortionist just to check the valves....etc.etc.

All in all though it has been a decent bike...adequate, reasonably cheap, and big bike look without the big bike cost (or performance).

·
Registered
127 Posts
seems to be a common theme.

F.I.
Water Cooled
Shaft Drive
Electronic Ignition
Well equipped, floor boards, heel-toe shifter.
Right size, low cost - big bike looks without the big bike price.
Reasonably reliable and doesn't leak on my driveway (like someof my cars).

When bike shopping, the C50 wasn't even on my radar. I wanted a Honda Shadow 750. At the dealer, I sat on one and just felt too small. The Yamaha 650 felt the same. Over on the used floor was a mint C50 with low K (mature owner traded it on a Harley). Tried it on for size and it just felt right. It was just the best bang for my buck.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
25,127 Posts
All in all the metric aftermarket sux. I'm tired of if you want it, you have to make, modify and/or scrounge it from another bike's parts bin. Tired of tempermental behavior from fuel and weather.
My bike is not temperamental about anything. She fires up first time every time.

As for aftermarket, my checkbook would disagree with you. So far I've probably invested close to $2k on aftermarket stuff and I haven't done anything but bolt on. Maybe you're confusing this with OEM accessories, Harley is definitely better at that, but as long as Kuryakyn and Cobra are still in business I don't think I'll have to complain too much about lack of selection in that department.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
F.I.
Water Cooled
Shaft Drive
Electronic Ignition
Well equipped, floor boards, heel-toe shifter.
Right size, low cost - big bike looks without the big bike price.
Compared to HD Sportster way more room for two up riding
Fantastic Paint with metal flake a high price option with Harley
I hate the fact metal rusts and prefer the long lasting lighter plastic parts where metals strength isn't needed

1 - 20 of 49 Posts