Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
In 1976 when I graduated high school dad took us to visit family in Texas they lived in a subdivision and had a 175 dual sport bike. They asked if I wanted to ride it Sure I get on and one of them tells me at the last minute you don't have any brakes so be careful. First trip down the road some old lady backed out in front of me, I cleaned out the ditch jumped across her drive way and let it coast to a stop. When I got back to them they tell me if we knew that you knew how to ride we would have told you that the bike had front brakes.
later that summer my dad went to work for the Honda dealer and bought a lightly used CB 125

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
barrynfla said:
First rode on the street in '56 or '57. Like Smokey, I'm old!! :D
Okay, I'm not that old (I started riding in the early-mid 60's). My dad was always talking about the 39' Indian Chief that he bought after the war and his uncle used to show up every couple of years on whatever was the newest model of HD. Us kids (5 boys) used to mod bikes with horizontal shaft Maytag washer engines and ride them. Not a very good/safe ride but when you're young you're bullet-proof. Pop got tired of all the broken bikes etc. and bought us a Montgomery Wards Silver Pidgeon scooter, I was hooked. I've gone for periods without a bike but always seem to get another sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I began riding a friends bike in 1959 when I was 19. In '63 bought a bike from him and rode it on the street and some dirt. I liked dirt riding; it was lots of fun, but '58 Ariel 500 was unwieldy where we rode so I traded a guy for a 250 Ducati and learned the correct way to fall down on that bike. In '67 I sold it to pay off a building lot so I could build a new house and was with out a bike until '74.

I became a full time street rider in 1974 with a string of Kawasakis:'74 400 triple, '78 750 twin, '86 Concours. I traded the connie for a Volusia in '04 when my health problem told me it was getting too big. I typically put 35k to 50k miles on my bikes

I have sellers regret on all my former bikes, even the 2 stroke, and with the Vol nearing 37k miles I'd get another mid-size cruiser.
Mr. rogers said:
Can you say 200 thousand miles? Sure, I knew you could.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Started dirt at age . . . . . . 9, I think (1978 ). Had my first real street bike in 86. (1972 Honda 750 FOUR).

Bought my 86 Virago in 88 and that's all I had for a number of years. In fact, I owned that bike for 20 years. It blew a valve and so I bought my bully in 07.

Fuuny, I don't "feel" this old. . . 8)

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Hmm...where to start?? Well the first thing I learned how ride was my buddy's mini-bike around 1976. We terrorized the neighborhood with that thing and I really don't know how we didn't kill ourselves. It went fine, stopping was a bit of a problem. Rode various friends bikes throughout my teenage years. The person who really got me seriously interested in bikes was my first serious girlfriend. She was a Harley nut. I developed a pretty serious interest in Sportys. In 1980 I got in a semi-serious accident riding a friends bike. No broken bones but road rash all over the place. A week after the accident or so I climbed onto the back of a friends KZ400 which he immediately rides a hundred yard wheelie. I said to myself I'm going to get killed if I keep riding these things. I didn't get back on a bike for another twenty years. The bug bit me back in 2001 but the wife said no, when our youngest turned 16 he wanted a bike and the wife caved. I have been riding again for about four and a half years. It really was like I never stopped riding.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I got my MC stamp in 1963. Had to, the cops knew I had a an Indian Chief and they were laying in waite for me.
Why ? I can't remember back that far. I think it had something to do with wild women and the knowledge that I couldn't sing.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Bob Penn said:
I got my MC stamp in 1963. Had to, the cops knew I had a an Indian Chief and they were laying in waite for me.
Why ? I can't remember back that far. I think it had something to do with wild women and the knowledge that I couldn't sing.
I was born in 63 :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a motor scooter as a kid. No idea why my gma would let me have one at age 12ish. "make sure you stay under 20 mph"........sure.......yeah right.

Always been intrigued by bikes. Still to this day, If I see one, i'm like a kid in a candy store, I just stare. Fascinated with bikes.

Been riding about 2 years I think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
got my 1980 Honda 400cc enduro? - painted it Viper yellow... when I was 14-15... mid 90's. I think I picked ut up to ride w/ my step-dad... or just be cool in school...

Learned to rode on the gravel roads by my house. On day 2 a buffalo got out of a pen and chased me for a 1/4 mile or so - I quickly learned my first quick u-turn -

·
Registered
67 Posts
FX4 said:
Bob Penn said:
I was born in 63 :lol:
well I was born in '81!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Re: Why did you start riding? How long have you been riding

Coast_of_Maine said:
Myself I was afraid, but a touch of the C four years ago and figured what the hell.

Started riding three years ago, took my course while my wife (now ex) was visiting family and bought an old Honda.

I was instantly addicted. It feels lame driving a car now.

The bike, the dog and the radio make me a happy rider.
I am sorry for your illness bud. I am glad you have recovered and are living life to the fullest.

I started riding as a kid because my friend had a little mini-bike and it was soo cool! I had to beg my parents to get me a bike...My dad's cousin perished in a motorcycle accident way back in the day so a bike was out of the question. Mom came through though.

I had a dirt bike as a kid (197x) Yamaha DT 100. thanks to mom.
Owned a 1984 Honda NightHawk 650 for 3 or so years...sold it to get married :roll: not a bad thing but I loved that bike. I really wish I still had that bike. It was like a cross between a crotch rocket and a cruiser. Best bike I ever owned.

Purchased a 2007 C50 20 someodd years later.
purchased a 2007 Kawi Nomad holdover in 08.

Life is good....I am doing my damedest to enjoy it...within reason of course.
:eek:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
car died

My car died and being a European version I had to wait weeks for parts to be delivered. Pre Fedex days! My neighbor was going to the field and asked if I had ever ridden on a motorcycle, I said yes. He gave me the keys to his 185cc, so I learned to ride going to work that next morning. That was 1972 and it is now when?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I remember my dad riding a little Honda for a short time when I was in grade school. My younger brother learned early on on dirt bikes with his friends. I always wanted to ride, but thought it too difficult to learn.

My brother tried to teach me many years ago in our backyard, which ended up with me wiping out and a nasty exhaust burn on my calf. That put that fire out for many years.

Then in Sep. of '06 (at 41) I took the MSF course. I figured it was then or never. Haven't looked back since.

Started on an '06 S40, then an '07 C50, and now my Vulcan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got my Honda Mini Trail 50 when I was 8 or 9 in the early seventies when Evil Kniveil was larger than life to kids my age. Though I never took the dare devil route I enjoyed riding and have never been more than a couple of mounths without a bike scince then. Ill be 45 in a couple of weeks no intension of stoppin now.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
I was 16 and bought my first bike in March 1965, a month after getting my driver's license. I thought it would help attract the opposite sex. The bike didn't do much good for a short, ugly guy like me, but it did wonders for my attitude. I first bought a 1965 Bridgestone 50 with a step-through frame (yes, the tire company made bikes back then) and, by 1967, had gone through a few others including an ancient HD with a suicide clutch that damned near killed me several times, a Ducati 250 Monza for hill climbs and a Honda 305 Dream. Along the way, thanks to the attitude change, the girls -- and even a couple "old" women in their 20s -- began to find me a lot less homely.

Of all the motorcycles through the years, and there's been a bunch, I think my 2002 Volusia has been the best.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
I'm in this for probably 6 or 7 years now. My younger brother had a bike before that. We're east coast guys. Our sister was living in CA. He tells me at one point, "You should get a bike, and then we'll ride cross country to go see Kate." For whatever reason, that resonated. I started looking for what fit my arse best, found a used bike on the old VOL website, and started.

Never made it to CA. My sister has now moved to TX, as have my parents, and I haven't ridden there yet either. Eventually will, now that I've got some vacation time accrued.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Started out about 1973 on a Harley 90 trail bike. Why- give a 8yo boy something that has wheels and he don't have to have a reason to try and
injure himself! :lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
As a kid I had a KX80 for a few years, it probably went away when my parents got divorced. But I did learn to ride on it. I guess I was maybe 8 years old or so.

High school was anything and everything to do with fast cars, and that was certainly my focus. So no motorcycle when I was in high school, which was probably a good thing!

After I joined the Navy I was stationed in Lemoore, CA and for the pricey sum of $600 I bought a YZ125 complete with a full set of riding gear. I was 19 at the time and I had a respectable dirt bike!

Had it and only rode on the dirt for a few years, sold it when I went on cruise one time. When I came back and bought a Yamaha R6 from a marine who was getting a divorce. We would ride up into the redwoods and camp and ride we really had a great time, lots of guys had CBR 900's or GSX'R 750's, but I was pretty happy with the R6. My insurance was also 20% of theirs.
Lots of guys went down doing things they shouldn't have been doing, I think hanging out with a group of 20 or so sport bikes made me a better rider because I was afraid of THEM!

Had it until I moved from California to Florida, sold it, about a year later, bought a brand new Harley Sportster 1200 C after I got out, the Harley was a POS, it just didn't do anything well, so I sold it, bought the Honda 919, which I still have and recently had the itch for a cruiser so I bought the Boulevard last November. I can't believe how much I ride the Boulevard instead of the 919. Its really a fun bike. I almost bought a Can-Am Spyder, after a demo ride in Fort Worth a few years back, but I figured it was more of a novelty item than a motorcycle, so I passed on it.

That's my story, sorry for rambling!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts