Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new rider, having got my endorsement around the 1st of July. My bike has less then 5k miles on it. I commute about 37 miles each way. So, last Thursday morning, I was cruising along in the HOV lane about 60mph and actually thinking about how light the traffic was. Suddenly, an idiot less then 50 feet in front of me decides that he needed to be in the HOV lane. I laid on the horn and hit the brakes but, I went down. I remember the bike pitching sideways and the next thing I recall was me skidding along the Interstate. When I stopped, I wiggled my fingers and toes and actually thought to myself "I'm alive!". That was a really scary situation. A Sheriff was there almost immediately and told me to lay still and that help was on the way. Soon, 5 other police and fire vehicles came to my aid. I got my first ambulance ride to get checked out. Everyone said that I was lucky that I was wearing my riding gear because it was destroyed and I have nothing more then some bruising, swelling and a torn up knee. Good news is that the driver didn't drive away. Bad news is that he doesn't have insurance. Luckily, I do. Healing will take some time but, I'm alive and thankful that I practice ATGATT.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Glad you are OK. You could have ended up like me and had a lot of road rash or worse!

Reactions: john98026

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad you came out of it with just minor injuries and that you dressed for the crash. Don't let this dissuade you from riding. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Was the bike a total loss?

·
Registered
23,553 Posts
So glad to hear you have only minor injuries. Bikes can be replaced...you can't.
Bet your thankful you had your gear.
Quick healing karma sent

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
So sorry to hear that. You'll get tired of hearing it, but there are two types of riders, and you got it over. Heal fast, reflect on what happened and try to figure out what YOU could have done to avoid it. Maybe your reflection on the light traffic took your mind away from the ride for a second? Maybe the light traffic caused you to let your guard down? Maybe you were doing the same speed as the cars around you and that hid you from his view? I have no idea myself, all I know is that I'm glad to hear you're OK.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Gravity is a cruel mistress who must be obeyed.... anyone who thinks they will never crash is a fool. Because things happen beyond our ability to control them. All we can do is be prepared for when it does. Heal fast.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I'm a new rider, having got my endorsement around the 1st of July.
Everyone said that I was lucky that I was wearing my riding gear because it was destroyed and I have nothing more then some bruising, swelling and a torn up knee. Good news is that the driver didn't drive away. Bad news is that he doesn't have insurance. Luckily, I do. Healing will take some time but, I'm alive and thankful that I practice ATGATT.
When I click on the "rider down" threads I cringe, I hope and pray for the best.

You were dressed for the crash and that is cool!!!

Ride on brother. You are the man!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Glad you're okay and don't forget to inform the insurance company of the damage to the gear you were wearing because it is also covered.

·
Administrator
57,155 Posts
Glad to hear that You are OK.
Does the knee require corrective surgery?

Just because the other party doesn't have auto insurance, doesn't necessarily alleviate them from liability.

Consult with a competent attorney, because the careless cager may have homeowners insurance, which could possibly allow the attorney to obtain a fair settlement for You.
Another thing, if You secure a judgement against that motorist, they will have to pay up eventually, or lose their driving privileges.

·
Super Moderator
25,609 Posts
sorry to read this but glad you were dressed to ride...again...proof it does male a difference. Hope the healing goes well and your insurance does what you pay it to do.
As for the time of the accident...welcome to the real world of motorcycling...it happens...its quick and sudden and no matter how much one is prepared for those situations we all handle them differently when they actually occur. Hope this doesn't deter you from getting back on the bike when your well enough to ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from the doc. Ruptured tendon above my left knee. Surgery on Friday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.