Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wanting to get some opinions on this to see if anyone else has had this same issue. I have a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 with 7000 original miles, garage kept with Cobra pipes and a Cobra fuel commander. It also has studded factory OEM Boulevard saddle bags, backrest and seat. It also has driver floor boards and the heel/toe shifter which I think are standard equipment. There is no damage, paint and chrome shine like new and it runs perfect. I have it listed for $3200 on Craigslist in Dallas and no interest at all. I have had several low ballers of course that I don't even respond to. I feel this is a very fair price. I have had all kinds of bikes over the past 30 years and never had this much problem selling one as nice as this one with such low miles.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Suzuki is currently running a special offer making a brand new base model C50 list out at approximately $7,200.
Most buyers do not appreciate the value of accessories.
Considering the current state of the market your very nice bike may not be valued at the price you are asking.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I was just wanting to get some opinions on this to see if anyone else has had this same issue. I have a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 with 7000 original miles, garage kept with Cobra pipes and a Cobra fuel commander. It also has studded factory OEM Boulevard saddle bags, backrest and seat. It also has driver floor boards and the heel/toe shifter which I think are standard equipment. There is no damage, paint and chrome shine like new and it runs perfect. I have it listed for $3200 on Craigslist in Dallas and no interest at all. I have had several low ballers of course that I don't even respond to. I feel this is a very fair price. I have had all kinds of bikes over the past 30 years and never had this much problem selling one as nice as this one with such low miles.
The economy is not good and Craigslist is a freak show. Probably the best two explanations I have. I go out on Craigslist to buy... musical instruments at half their value from kids for weed money... I got a bowflex for $75...

But a motorcycle... all I have to do is be patient and show up with $2500 in cash and I know I'll get something. It might not be your bike, but I'll find one just like it. The internet era makes everything available at a fingertip. I bought a sidecar rig on craigslist for $2000! I had to ship it from Michigan but big deal. I can go find the guy selling the Boulevard cheapest...

So being a seller is more difficult in this era. I can bid on your product in 100 different ways and places, but you can only sell from one. Noone is going to get the price they have listed in those ads. It is a buyers market. There are over 1000 motorcycles for sale on CLeveland Craigslist right now. And you can buy any of them at half their value if you're patient.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
by the way... have you listed your bike here, it sounds like a good value!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Cheap bike when new, not exactly the best record for longevity, not exactly a what most would expect for performance out of an 800, reliability issues, lousy brakes, not much in the way of aftermarket accessories compared to other bikes, when something does fail it's expensive especially when compared to the replacement cost of the bike, the VL800/C50's reputation as a "beginner's bike", and then there's LOTS of them for sale for cheap at any given time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Cheap bike when new, not exactly the best record for longevity, not exactly a what most would expect for performance out of an 800, reliability issues, lousy brakes, not much in the way of aftermarket accessories compared to other bikes, when something does fail it's expensive especially when compared to the replacement cost of the bike,
So, other than that you classify them as a great bike?:biglaugh:

Coops.

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
It's Labor Day man. Try again around Easter and you'll probably have a lot better luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, The riding season is almost over where it gets cooler. I will be putting mine away in about 2 months. Besides a couple group rides (Polar Bear Ride and CVA) winter requires a heater for us old people!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
dealer has a 09 with 6000 miles on it asking 4k...no takers all summer..definitely a buyers market...riding buddy passed away had a hew spider, widow has been offered half.......

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
bad time of year to be selling...good time of year to be buying...good luck. Personally think the price is fair. May want to leave a 4 sale sign on it when you take it out for a ride and you stop to get something to eat. Gotta try whatever it takes to catch someones eye.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems like a pretty good price you're asking. I'm guessing you'll eventually sell it on craigslist. I think they're pretty good bikes unlike disturbed who only seems to trash them. Oh well, haters... Also, there is a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Seems like a pretty good price you're asking. I'm guessing you'll eventually sell it on craigslist. I think they're pretty good bikes unlike disturbed who only seems to trash them. Oh well, haters... Also, there is a lot of them out there.
Just callin it as I see it. With well over 150,000 miles on mine and having been around this and two other intruder sites for the past 7 years I'd say I'm reasonably qualified to make a statement about the overall build quality and durability this particular machine. (note: the bike my avatar is my 03 Volusia, I still own and ride it and I also do all of the maintenance and repairs on it. Currently it has 18X,XXX miles on the odometer)

The after market for them is what it is...most of us are still waiting for true dual exhausts, additional wheel choices, better brakes etc. almost 14 years after the model's introduction.

Volusias are what they are, cheap disposable bikes with barely adequate brakes, finicky engines that may or may not self destruct for no reason whatsoever at any time. Mine destroyed the rear piston, jug and head with only 12k miles on the clock thanks to the VL800's notoriously faulty timing chain tensioners.
Others have no real engine issues until they strip the drive-shaft because Suzuki didn't feel the need to lubricate the splines, others run fine for 20 or 30k then just start eating oil like crazy before failing completely.

Judging by your post count I assume you are new to VL800/C50's. Here's some advice read up on the issues these bikes have here and stay on top of all routine maintenance, change your oil and filter at every oil change and do them before they're needed, inspect and adjust your valves at a minimum at the recommended intervals, lastly baby it. If you hit 50K on the clock without repairs you did **** good or were really lucky.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
So, other than that you classify them as a great bike?:biglaugh:

Coops.
Still love and ride mine daily.
Much like a VW bus you learn to accept the downsides of ownership and focus on the things you like. My '77 Westy was the best and worst vehicle I ever owned and not only did I love it more than anything I've ever owned before or since, but I'd still race out and get another if I could...in a heartbeat, no doubt whatsoever.

So what if you froze to death in it in the winter, it wouldn't even crank at 32 or colder, it took all your strength to turn it's 20" steering wheel at parking lot speeds, and it couldn't keep up on the interstate....it was an awesome ****ing vehicle :wayhappy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
In July bought an 07 C50 that has saddlebags (no studs) and windshield for $5,000 Canadian. It has 8000 Kilometres on it. Bike is spotless. I thought it was a good deal.
I weigh 270 and the bike has lots of torque. I haven't taken my wife out yet, she weighs 145 so we will be at the weight limit but I don't foresee any issues going up hills etc.
Most people that have them seem to love them. The brakes are weak though.
Gerry

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
In July bought an 07 C50 that has saddlebags (no studs) and windshield for $5,000 Canadian. It has 8000 Kilometres on it. Bike is spotless. I thought it was a good deal.
I weigh 270 and the bike has lots of torque. I haven't taken my wife out yet, she weighs 145 so we will be at the weight limit but I don't foresee any issues going up hills etc.
Most people that have them seem to love them. The brakes are weak though.
Gerry
Just wait till you try them in the rain!
As long as you aren't too worried about keeping up with traffic or passing it will be fine with your mrs on board I'm 270+ and my mrs is around 180 and the bike does alright for the most part with both of us plus an actual tool kit picked to cover just about any possibility, rain and cold weather gear for two and a three day weekends worth of clothes. In the mountains you do get a workout grabbing gears though...especially when the brakes get start fading.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheap bike when new, not exactly the best record for longevity, not exactly a what most would expect for performance out of an 800, reliability issues, lousy brakes, not much in the way of aftermarket accessories compared to other bikes, when something does fail it's expensive especially when compared to the replacement cost of the bike, the VL800/C50's reputation as a "beginner's bike", and then there's LOTS of them for sale for cheap at any given time.
Seriously?? Why are you here? This is why I rarely come here anymore. When I found this forum I was so excited. Thought the C50/Volusia would have an awesome die-hard cult following since they've been cranking em out for so many years. But that's not really the case. At least not around here. In fact, this forum's littered with people that hate this bike. Tons of people that want to sell it, and many always whining and complaining about it, usually the complaint is they all need a "bigger bike." Even though by the sound of it, most of these people hardly ride. Many that stay on this forum don't even own this bike anymore (if they ever actually did) but they continue to lounge around to try and convince everyone here that every other bike is so much better.

Could whoever runs this forum please start a section for people that actually own and enjoy this bike?? I don't mean to rant but my last two summers I've had the time of my life on my 2006 C50. And despite what this "volusia enthusiast" said, it's 805 engine actually performs amazingly well. I can ride two-up on the interstate with no problems. I ride in a club with tons of other bikes of all shapes and sizes. Most guys who I've let mess with my bike think the engines bigger then it is. When you say "not what most would expect from an 800," compared to what, a crotch rocket? It has a good record too, it's not the death trap this person describes.

But anyway, to the original poster, it sounds like the price you want is actually a pretty good one. If you were trying to sell it around Nebraska you'd probably get it. The biggest problem is your selling it on the wrong side of the riding season. Best of luck...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Seriously?? Why are you here? This is why I rarely come here anymore. When I found this forum I was so excited. Thought the C50/Volusia would have an awesome die-hard cult following since they've been cranking em out for so many years. But that's not really the case. At least not around here. In fact, this forum's littered with people that hate this bike. Tons of people that want to sell it, and many always whining and complaining about it, usually the complaint is they all need a "bigger bike." Even though by the sound of it, most of these people hardly ride. Many that stay on this forum don't even own this bike anymore (if they ever actually did) but they continue to lounge around to try and convince everyone here that every other bike is so much better.

Could whoever runs this forum please start a section for people that actually own and enjoy this bike?? I don't mean to rant but my last two summers I've had the time of my life on my 2006 C50. And despite what this "volusia enthusiast" said, it's 805 engine actually performs amazingly well. I can ride two-up on the interstate with no problems. I ride in a club with tons of other bikes of all shapes and sizes. Most guys who I've let mess with my bike think the engines bigger then it is. When you say "not what most would expect from an 800," compared to what, a crotch rocket? It has a good record too, it's not the death trap this person describes.

But anyway, to the original poster, it sounds like the price you want is actually a pretty good one. If you were trying to sell it around Nebraska you'd probably get it. The biggest problem is your selling it on the wrong side of the riding season. Best of luck...
I enjoyed my 2006 C50 so much that after leaving for a Concours 14 (for more power) for several years I returned to the C90 because I missed my C50 except wanted a little more oomph......Does that mean I need to go to the C90 forum now? From my experience with the C50 I can nearly tell you how to do any maintenance it needs so wouldn't that be a loss if I and others like me leave?

Reactions: dfinitlydisturbd

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Seriously?? Why are you here?
Because I as you would say actually own a Volusia (Note YOU do not.)
and I like it here...good folks hang out here.
This is why I rarely come here anymore.
You've only been a member since February :boozin:

When I found this forum I was so excited. Thought the C50/Volusia would have an awesome die-hard cult following since they've been cranking em out for so many years. But that's not really the case.
:biglaugh: I'm sorry I can't stop laughing long enough to even attempt to reply to that:biglaugh: too funny.
At least not around here. In fact, this forum's littered with people that hate this bike.
If it were full of people that "hate the bike" why would they bother to come here at all or help others that own them?
Tons of people that want to sell it, and many always whining and complaining about it, usually the complaint is they all need a "bigger bike."
That's what happens when folks realize that the small bike that was good enough when they bought it is no longer suited for how they ride now.

Even though by the sound of it, most of these people hardly ride.
Um whatever, mine has over 180,000 miles on eight years of owning it. that's over 23,000 miles a year. How many have you racked up on yours in the past two?

Many that stay on this forum don't even own this bike anymore (if they ever actually did)
Do you abandon your friends when you change rides?

but they continue to lounge around to try and convince everyone here that every other bike is so much better.
Nope, that would be in your head. But there are many cruisers that have more power, better brakes, are lower maintenance, and are more comfortable.
Could whoever runs this forum please start a section for people that actually own and enjoy this bike??
That would exclude you as your 06 is NOT a Volusia it's a Boulevard C50

I don't mean to rant but my last two summers I've had the time of my life on my 2006 C50.
Yes, you do.

And despite what this "volusia enthusiast" said, it's 805 engine actually performs amazingly well.
First "real" bike I'd wager. I've had 500cc cruisers that would smoke a Volusia off the line and at top end.

When you say "not what most would expect from an 800," compared to what, a crotch rocket?
No, that would be unfair. There are plenty of 800 and under cruisers to compare it to.

It has a good record too, it's not the death trap this person describes.
Yeah, really you're sure about it's reliability with your whole two summers of riding one and rare visits here.... And where exactly did I say death trap? Oh that's right..I didn't.:moon:

Oh one more thing...your 06 C50 weighs 40 pounds more than my 03 Volusia, doesn't make any more horsepower, is harder to work on, and has the same lousy brakes.:moon: :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.