Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did the Experienced Rider Course today and I had a blast! The best time for me was the figure 8 box. I was surrounded by Harleys and not one of them could do the extra large box, the one that's about 3 lanes wide.

:biglaugh:

Here comes the jap bike and I was pulling the smallest box, the two lane wide one that you have to do in the license test. I still can't get my floorboards to scrape, but you can see in this pic that I was inches away!

:shades:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wohoo

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Nice! I scraped once and my boards don't have the sacrificial wear bolt, I don't care to do it again!

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
My wife and I call that 'The Box of Death!' Our MSF instructor was not amused.... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,830 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
My MSF instructor put it this way... Don't worry if you come out of the box a little, he only deducts a few points. But if you drop the bike trying not to come out of the box, you fail.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I seem to remember just barely going outside the box just once, actually surprised the heck out of myself! Expected to do a lot worse. Otherwise, the final course was a breeze.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I scraped my C50 once and the timing was not good ! It was in front of a State Trooper that was stopped at a stop sign and sticking his nose out and taking up a lot of room. I was making a left turn in front of him and there wasn't much pavement left. I didn't expect it ! That was 7 years ago and haven't done it since.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I use to scrape all the time when I took a left hand turn out of work. It is a sharp turn and a higher than normal crown on the road and if you do not turn hard you would drive off the road and into the crud. Or maybe I just wanted to haul my a$$ out of there and I was hard on the throttle. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate that [email protected] box. I think I missed like 10 points on my skills test in Basic Rider Course and 8 of them was that freakin box. Good job, though!

When I did
the box on my test I lost points for going out. I think that's the only points I lost on the whole test. At that point I definitely couldn't have done it on a C50, it was hard enough on a Rebel 250. Don't feel bad.

My MSF instructor put it this way... Don't worry if you come out of the box a little, he only deducts a few points. But if you drop the bike trying not to come out of the box, you fail.
That's the secret to the box as we were explained. If you drop the bike it's an automatic failure. If you put a foot down, you lose something like 5 points. If you go out of the box you lose like 1 point. In other words, don't stress over going out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I scraped the footboards on mine once or twice, but there are no scratches on them. Tough, I guess. They are Cobra brand.

Also, I can do that figure 8 all day long... on my Rebel 450! I believe my center of gravity is a foot or two below the surface of the road on that bike.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
The c50 is actually a pretty nimble bike.

When I teach ERC, I do the box with my partners wing wing, usually after some guy comments that its too easy on a dual sport. Just keep your head up and turn your head and any bike can do the box with two feet to spare.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't disagree with that Mr E. That's why I love my C50. The truth is, I was just amazed at how much I was leaning when I saw the pic the instructor took. It doesn't really feel like you're that far over at the time. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I did the box every time in practice. Turn hard, counter weight, use of rear brake, turn head and go. Then, in the test put my foot down 2 times...I wasn't happy with myself.

Scraped the right side tonight on my way home. It is a weird turn that goes up hill. I turned hard (after starting my turn too late) and felt the road on my right foot through the floorboard. Wasn't too bad but I was only in 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I personally don't like whine in a box. Did I spell that wrong?
But Whiskey spilling out of a box is just plain wrong!

PS I never could figure out what that bolt was for on the bottom of the floor boards. It didn't seem to hold anything on. Kind-a glad when it fell off!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts