Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned whitewall tires before. What do people use to keep the white looking white? I seem to remember using Comet on my Dad's tires when I was a kid, but that was a LONG time ago. I have used Barkeepers Friend on my sailboats to brighten things up, but there was little or no rubber on a sailboat. I especially like cheap and easy tricks of the trade. Looking forward to hearing what others use.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have never owned whitewall tires before. What do people use to keep the white looking white? I seem to remember using Comet on my Dad's tires when I was a kid, but that was a LONG time ago. I have used Barkeepers Friend on my sailboats to brighten things up, but there was little or no rubber on a sailboat. I especially like cheap and easy tricks of the trade. Looking forward to hearing what others use.
I just use a little dish soap in a small bucket of water, a nylon mesh covered sponge (like you use to get the bugs off your windshield) and a little elbow grease. Mine don't get very dirty, so not much elbow grease is required.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I use Westleys Bleach White spray. When I'm out, I can use water and a bleach solution with a green scrubber pad. I lift my bike on a motorcycle jack when washing the bike and then spin the tires when cleaning them.

Reactions: dsmitty

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Not sure.... my wife does mine...... I never complain!!! :biglaugh:

I think it's called magic eraser..... :shades:

·
Administrator
57,126 Posts
Go to Dollar Tree, and buy a large spray bottle of Grille and Oven cleaner, (for $1,) spray it on, use a soft brush or clean rag, scrub lightly, rinse......done.
If they don't have the Grille Cleaner, buy the Grout Cleaner instead...also $1.

Both, same chemical as Westly's Bleche White......one sixth or seventh the cost.

Reactions: PV458 and 10-64

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just picked my bike up yesterday with new white wall tires. Comes with the blue protectant on them. I'm thinking of seeing how long I can keep them blue? With the blue LEDs at night, it's a interesting look....

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Cheap and easy? Get black-walled tires.

I had whitewalls on the Vulcan. Absolutely hated them. Every 500 miles, the stripe god dull and gray and just looked like crap. So back in the driveway with a soft brush and soapy water to clean them *AGAIN*.... Enough of that! I want to ride, not spend my life on my hands and knees scrubbing tires.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
white wall all the way on a crusier. wouldnt have it any other way. keep them clean and reap the benefits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
white wall all the way on a crusier. wouldnt have it any other way. keep them clean and reap the benefits.
^^^
+1. The one and only piece of bling I put on the bike was whitewall tires. To my eye, it makes the bike "pop".

Good Hunting

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
You guys have more time on your hands than I do.... Anything that labour intensive becomes a chore..... No matter how good it looks. I like cheap and easy. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
You guys have more time on your hands than I do.... Anything that labour intensive becomes a chore..... No matter how good it looks. I like cheap and easy. :)
Skrap,
You just need to embrace the use of child labor. It frees up a lot of time. And their little fingers can get into all the hard to clean areas.

Good hunting

Reactions: Skrapiron

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Skrap,
You just need to embrace the use of child labor. It frees up a lot of time. And their little fingers can get into all the hard to clean areas.

Good hunting
The first time I let my 9 year old daughter wash our car - it was a white Buick La Sabre (my wife refused to drive a mini van). When I got home the car looked great from a distance. As I got closer my daughter came up to me with a huge smile, all proud, and said "look at all the dirt I got off". In her hand was a brillo pad full of white paint. I spend the next several hours with rubbing compound and a buffer trying to fix it. :blackeye:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
What? I have to wash the bike anyway, once per week. might as well spin the tires while on the lift to clean the WW. If I'm gonna spend $400 for tires, might as well be clean.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Reactions: PV458
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.