Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange day yesterday, even tho it was predicted, still eye brow raising to look out the window thruout the day and watch it falling. For the most part temps here in the northeast have been warmer than usual so still hoping/planning on taking a Xmas Day Ride. On a tender for now, but ready to roll. So is the season over...really?

·
Super Moderator
9,091 Posts
Here in the Catskills, it's been over for several weeks. We've had enough light snow events and the state DOT has salted the bejeezus out of the roads. I thought we'd catch a break when, a few days ago, we had nearly 4 inches of rain, which washed the highway clean. But then the temperature sank, water started freezing -- and the DOT salted the road again.

Just once, years ago, I made the stupid mistake of taking out my brand-new bike on salty roads, and I swear the undercarriage never got completely clean again.

<Sigh> Life in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was always good about cleaning tthe mc immedietely after taking a cruise when salt had been applied to the roads even if they appeared to be salt free...then one time I got lazy...waited a week...huge mistake...learned the hard way never to procrastinate on that little part of the ridng responsibility this time of year..bottom line....allow oneself the time needed to at least thoroughly clean the lower part of the bike immediately after any given ride if the roads have been salted.

One more note...if you do decide to cruise during the colder temps and the roads appear dry, avoid any part of the road where shady spots appear from overhanging trees...while the sun may melt and dry the open parts of the road, the sun cannot always melt away the frost and ice on the part of the roads that trees on the side of the road may be blocking the suns light thereby still leaving that part of the road icy/slippery. Not to mention,motorists in the 4 wheel vehicles definitely are not expecting to see us out there on 2 wheels.

Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,091 Posts
Very wise advice, my friend!

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
Sounds like first hand experience 🤗🤗🤗

·
Super Moderator
27,770 Posts
It's that time of the year when I get reminded why I don't move to South Dakota. Around here, riding season will end around Feb 1 and start back up around Valentine's Day. 😊

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like first hand experience 🤗🤗🤗
yep...lesson learned...out cruising one november day shortly after we had snow but roads were clear and for the most part safe for riding...came around a turn on some back country road..the next thing I new I was on the ground rolling one way, the bike bouncing down the road luckily away from me...guy coming the other way watch the whole thing happen stopped,,,asked me if I lost control...told him no...told me then you hit ice...told him I didn't see any ice...so we walked up the road finally reaching a shady spot and sure enough ice...amazing how quick it happened and not all that much ice either...did lose a set a cobras but they did do what they were purchased for...2nd time I went down,,,first being in my first year of riding in my driveway braking thru leaves...top layer dry...layers underneath still wet tho and just like that...down...so if you still have leaves lying around, avoid braking anywhere near them no matter how dry they look.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
Ahhhhh. A wise monkey admits his mistakes. I'm impressed. 😁😁😁😁

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I put on over 100 miles Friday, even got to ride Iron Mountain Road again (bighorn sheep, buffalo, deer and antelope galore in Custer State Park). Monday thru Wednesday this next week is supposed to be in the 60's. I'll be out again for sure......Christmas day ride? Way too early to predict that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We had an early blast of snow in Wisconsin weeks ago and another about a week ago that just came down as rain in my area. You'd swear the county boys up here get paid per pound of salt they dump on the road. Hours before a storm they'll be lined up waiting with loaded trucks.

Luckily, they didn't pull the trigger yet within a hour of here. I was able to get out for a short and cool 48 degree ride today. Was my 4th ride where I was thinking"this is probably it". And this time, I'm probably right. But sometimes it's good to be wrong!!!

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one would swear if you looked out the window right now here in Ct, you'd swear the flakes would be falling within a few hours...just that kind of look...rain in the forecast for later and 50's tommorrow so going to say almost had me fooled...the wife...debbie downer...keeps telling me the noreaster is coming, I tell her to leave the golf clubs where they are by the door...she asked me the other day what I want for xmas...told her a snowfree winter. We'll see...have a good weekend all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah, season over for me. Yesterday, I was able to get the bike off the ground, fill tank, add some seafoam, run it a while, then cover it up. Lives outside, see bottom right corner of pic....damn, just remembered I forgot to stuff dryer sheets into the mufflers...keeps the rodents out.
Anyway, woke up to this...

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got done snowblowing the foot of white stuff i woke up to this morning...sunny and pretty out there right now...hope all has fallen that is suppose to fall.

·
Super Moderator
61,253 Posts
It cleaned up well here. Beautiful out now. The lights will look real nice on it tonight :)

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would like to put your lites out....

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
or maybe stuff your face into this.

·
Registered
11,006 Posts
Snow is Sh-t in a different color .:(

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so the neighbor came over to say Hi while I was snowblowing the driveway...dog finds a spot to take a dump on my front lawn...something about my front lawn that the dog has decided to make it his marked spot...doesn't matter what time in the year, every time the dog crosses over to visit, he takes a dump before leaving...neighbors always embarrased...never offers to clean it tho...but we both laugh and the dog is always welcome. Yes...as you can see..I lead ann exciting life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts