Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the 9003 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 high/low light work in a C50? When I try check it shows it is a automotive light, but I suspect a H4 is an H4 right? As long as it has dual beams like the stock light?

I was thinking of going LED but I'm not sure how well the work in our headlight housings. So for the time being I was thinking of getting a Silverstar since they seem to get good reviews. The stock low beam leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
You are correct. The stock bulb is an H4 so you should be fine.

Good hunting

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Just wondering how others have found the Sylvania Superstar for life expectancy? I installed one on my Nomad about 3 months ago and just discovered that the high beam was burned out. Replaced it with another new Silverstar and am hoping that the 1st one was a dud and that I'm not going to have keep replacing on a regular basis.

Up until I swapped over, I had the stock bulb since new (over 5 years) and never an problem.

BTW, I was very careful not to touch the bulb with my bare fingers, held it with a clean cloth.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
silverstars a picky, and burn hot
even a clean cloth can make them burn out early
i have found rubber gloves and clean paper towel work best

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Just wondering how others have found the Sylvania Superstar for life expectancy? I installed one on my Nomad about 3 months ago and just discovered that the high beam was burned out. Replaced it with another new Silverstar and am hoping that the 1st one was a dud and that I'm not going to have keep replacing on a regular basis.

Up until I swapped over, I had the stock bulb since new (over 5 years) and never an problem.

BTW, I was very careful not to touch the bulb with my bare fingers, held it with a clean cloth.

If you read a silverstar label, they rate themselves a 1 in comparison with other headlight for durability. Because you keep your lights on with a bike, they are not very good for motorcycle use. They guarantee 1 year of life... But that's in a car, where the light are only on at night.

I use a silverstar for my low beam, but I also carry a spare at all times.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Would an LED H4 replacement bulb be better?

It would last longer but the silverstar throws some serious light in the right places for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have any replacement H4 LED suggestions? I probably ride 70% of the time in the dark since I work night shift. I will be installing driving light to have as a back up but the LED is sounding more appealing now.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I would use cree lightings. I use the silverstar low and the cree led high with two PIAA 510s behind it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would use cree lightings. I use the silverstar low and the cree led high with two PIAA 510s behind it.
Isn't there just one bulb in the headlight bucket? How are you using two light bulbs?

Does this mean the LEDs don't do a decent job on low beams?

I planned to eventually change the driving lights over to LEDs too, but now that I learned about he 4411s may go that route instead. Do he PIAA 510s fit in the OEM driving lights? How do they compare to the 4411s?

The driving lights will be ran off a relay for reliable power.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isn't there just one bulb in the headlight bucket? How are you using two light bulbs?

Does this mean the LEDs don't do a decent job on low beams?

I planned to eventually change the driving lights over to LEDs too, but now that I learned about he 4411s may go that route instead. Do he PIAA 510s fit in the OEM driving lights? How do they compare to the 4411s?

The driving lights will be ran off a relay for reliable power.
Mr. Efficiency are you out there?

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Sorry...

Not at all. The silver stars are just really wide and really bright. Its just a great deer country low beam. I really think any bulb works good as a low beam. But I ride at night a lot in deer country and what the widest possible throw. The high beam on my bike is like gods own flashlight... It is a big hairy light, and the long lasting cree bulb works great in it. I would use the cree in the lows, or even the cheapest bulb on the rack at the auto parts store... To me, the sylvanias and the silverstars are just a lot wider a beam and cover the sides of the road better.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Mr. Efficiency are you out there?

Oh, and sorry, my bike is a BMW r1200gs... Two bulbs, two lights. On the volusia I used the silverstars too. And I just always carried a spare.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do the LEDs have decent throw to the sides? I am adding driving lights so that could help with the width of light.

Which LED high beam do you have? Is it a pure white light? I work at night night and use LED flashlights all the time. I have found there is as many shades of "light" as there are brands of flashlights!

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Do the LEDs have decent throw to the sides? I am adding driving lights so that could help with the width of light.

Which LED high beam do you have? Is it a pure white light? I work at night night and use LED flashlights all the time. I have found there is as many shades of "light" as there are brands of flashlights!
The crees are white, regular light and work pretty well. Throw is pretty good on all the leds

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and sorry, my bike is a BMW r1200gs... Two bulbs, two lights. On the volusia I used the silverstars too. And I just always carried a spare.
I'm getting a pair of Silverstars. Mine being a dual element i'm not too worried if it burns out. I will still have the other element until I change out the bulb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.