Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i freely admit that im a total newb at this stuff, ( thats why i have you guys :) ) ok so here is my question.... just bought my 03 Volusia 800cc and everything i read about the bike says it has a carb, but during my Basic rider course the instructor said that all carbed bikes have a fuel control valve that goes from on/off/and possibly a reserve setting. but ill be dammed if i can find it on the bike. i see the choke but no fuel valve. Answers??????

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
no fuel valve on these...the carb is under the tank...you have a fuel gauge that will blink when fuel is low...they are bars on the LCD when it blinks...start lookin for gas....no petcock on these..so no on off vaccumed controlled

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
You have an automatic fuel valve. It is vacuum operated. There is no reserve so you really need to watch your fuel gauge and when the last bar starts blinking it is time to find some fuel real soon.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
590 Posts
... rmember that "no reserve" part ... running out of fuel sucks ...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
So, when your curiosity boils up to the point where you want to actually see the carb (and maybe check the coolant level in the radiator,) you will remove the tank.

Voila, you just unhook the lines and off it comes without spewing fuel all over.

Of course the more fuel in the tank, the heavier the lift, but not having to pinch off the lines is a nice feature.

Don't mention it.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Sorry, but your instructor is sadly mistaken.. these bikes have something called a fuel gauge, hence no petcock or reserve.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
He's definitely going by old standards and old class book here.
A number of bikes now have the vacuum operated shut off valves and some are vacuum assisted.
All you gotta do is watch for that blinking light when the time comes.
One less thing to worry about on the pre-ride inspection. Just make sure the tires are round and go. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts