Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
If you have a mass airflow sensor on the bike, you have fuel injection not a carb. Dumping solvent into the throttle body does nothing for the injectors.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
No. If the sensor were bad, it would be throwing a code which you could retrieve by putting the diagnostic plug under the right side cover into dealer mode and reading the error code.

Stumbling, low power and backfiring is an indication of a lean engine condition. Either too much air is getting into the cylinders, or not enough fuel. The bike is 15 years old and you have no records of how it was kept during the previous owner's possession. If I had to venture a guess, they left it sit in their garage for a year or more with old gas in the system. This fuel evaporated and gummed up the injectors and possibly damaged the fuel pump. The only way to figure it out is to pull the injectors and have them flow tested.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Did you check the compression HOT or COLD? You will get two different reading. If HOT, they yes, you are at the service limit and need to have the engine rebuilt. If COLD, then my bet is you're up around 165psi, which is still within tolerance, but on its way out. Either way, an upper cylinder refresh is the only way to remedy that situation. But if you refresh the top end, be ready to refresh the bottom end. Parts alone for the job were $2000 back in 2012. I can't begin to imagine how much they are today.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
There is an oil sump in the bottom of the oil pan that has a mesh screen on it. The idea is to let metal particles separate out of the suspended oil and collect in the sump, rather than circulate through the engine. No, that is not a "regular maintenance item" and I doubt anyone ever breaks it down to clean it. I have never heard of a "forward cam screen". That sounds a like you also need to rotate your muffler bearings diagnosis.

Unfortunately, front cylinders tend to wear out on these bikes and nobody knows why. When mine popped, it was the front cylinder as well. Interestingly enough, mine gave up the ghost at 38k, yours failed at 33k. Notice the pattern?

The engine is also not serialized, so you can use any engine from any year bike without affecting your title.

Now, here's what I would suggest. Have the dealership swap the engine, then start shopping for a new bike. You bought someone else's problem child and now you're going to have step-problem child problems with the new engine. They're great bikes for the money, but there are better options out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts