Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Dominiquer I have a couple of suggestions. I just ran into something similar to what you're dealing with.

1st: When you pull the injectors, you can do a pretty good cleaning yourself using the following setup:
Automotive lighting Gas Audio equipment Technology Electrical wiring

Here's the video I found that on:

That procedure worked very, very well for me. I've done it multiple times on a few bikes now. I've even found a stuck injector that I had to lightly tap to get to actuate again. So, be sure to listen for the audible click of the injector plunger moving when you hook it up to the battery. If you have a bad injector, don't go spend $250 on OEM Suzuki injectors. Now, normally I'm a fan of good OEM parts where precision is important. In this case though, we're very lucky in that other injectors work perfectly (same fit, same wiring harness, same flow rate). And they only cost $35 or so rather than $250. If you think you have a bad injector then read through this post: Fuel Injector Interchange

Also, when I cleaned my fuel system I didn't remove the fuel rail entirely, I just removed the 4 screws that secured it to the throttle body (that will allow you to wriggle the rail and remove the injectors). I sprayed Seafoam (aerosol version) through my fuel rail and also the little hose that attaches the fuel rail to the tank.

In my opinion, this is probably the first place to start when troubleshooting a lack-of-fuel issue. If you clean your injectors, and ensure there's no debris in your fuel rail and fuel hose, and it still runs poorly, then that's when you should start looking at the pump (the source of the fuel) and working your way toward the cylinder, troubleshooting anything that could be preventing the proper flow of fuel.

Looking at any codes the bike is throwing is a good idea if you suspect it's one of the FI sensors. I spent the $16 for the little mode switch. But, I know there's plenty of good hacks out there to accomplish putting the bike in dealer mode without that switch. I haven't actually had to do the procedure yet, but seems pretty simple. May be a good idea to check it out just to rule out the possibility of a misbehaving FI sensor.

Lastly, I also used a little tube to siphon out every drop of existing gas in the tank that I could. Then, I put the high dollar 93 octane in it (with some Seafoam). When you get a bike from someone else, you really don't know what you have. It could be gas in that tank or it could be cat pee and beer. So, best to start with known good fuel.

Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts