Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks to all of you guys and gals for this forum. I just got my 2007 C50 and love it. The guy that owned it before me appeared to keep it in pretty good order but there are naturally things I need to do.
I was going to order some brake lines but the US shipping charges to Canada are pretty high. Where do you fellow Canucks order your parts from that are either Canadian or Canadian shipping Freindly. You know how it is eh? Haha had to throw that in. I am from North Van BC any other lower main landers out there?
Cheers
Gerry

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I get lots of stuff from the US and just ship them to a shipping stop near the border. It's a lot cheaper than shipping directly to Canada. UPS stores will act as a shipping stop for you and there are lots of independent businesses as well. Search the US towns close to the border and I bet you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get lots of stuff from the US and just ship them to a shipping stop near the border. It's a lot cheaper than shipping directly to Canada. UPS stores will act as a shipping stop for you and there are lots of independent businesses as well. Search the US towns close to the border and I bet you'll find what you need.
Agreed, I use a friend of mine in Detroit, usually take advantage of free US shipping to him, then have him mail to me (if small enough) or go over for a day trip.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ask if they will ship via USPS postal. The brokerage charged by canada post is minimal. It's the best way to get stuff from USA to your door.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Ask if they will ship via USPS postal. The brokerage charged by canada post is minimal. It's the best way to get stuff from USA to your door.
Agreed. If they ship by FedEx or UPS you are pretty much guaranteed a minimum of $20 just as a brokerage fee plus whatever the various duties and GST are.

If you aren't that far from the border and it isn't a major hassle to go there, having a US mailbox (MailBoxes, etc. is one that I think you could check into) where things can be shipped to works well. The difference in shipping costs to a US address vs. Canada is significant. However, you may still have to pay duties & GST when bringing back across the border in your car. Just depends on the CBSA agent you get that day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are a number of aftermarket suppliers up here in the land of ice and snow and occasionally you can trip upon some prices that are tough to beat, even when comparing to the US. The deal is to shop, shop, shop. I picked up my Lindby bars from Heritage Cycle Works in Ontario cheaper than if I had ordered them from "over the river".
Don't be afraid to order from the States and have them shipped. As mentioned there are a few ways to do it. For shipping door to door, USPS is the best since our Postal Service charges a minimal fee for processing and if (that's a big if because lower value goods usually sail right through to your mailbox) there are any Customs fees, it's usually just HST (which you pay anyway if you buy here) because NAFTA goods are duty free. You can have a courier such as UPS ship them and they can deliver to your door. Bare in mind that you have the option of clearing your own goods through Customs even if a courier is the carrier and save their excessive fees. Don't let them BS you into thinking that they are the only ones that can clear them. You can always set up a mailbox with a company on the US side and go pick them up yourself. This way you can take advantage of "free shipping". Declare the goods at Customs and if the value is not excessive, you'll probably be on your way right then and there. I've used all three. The best deal gets my business.
Cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently lived in Abbotsford. We have an address at a parcel shop (Ship Happens, there are others) in Sumas. The stores will often hold the parcel for up to 60 days - check their policy on this. You only have to pay for the parcel handling - about $5 usually. Nice thing is there is usually no shipping/delivery cost for mainland U.S. parcel from most stores. We still have the address and wait until we know we will be there for a visit then order stuff ahead of time; pick it up when we get to Abbotsford/Sumas. There will also be parcel depots in Blaine, Wa.

Good luck and have fun saving money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Royal distributing has a good election of parts and their prices are pretty good. Free shipping if over$75. 3 locations in Ontario and I imagine they will ship anywhere in Canada. Check them out online and believe they will send you a catalogue if requested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Vancouver and regularly shop in the US and have stuff shipped to Hagen's of Blaine. They charge a $15 annual fee + $2.50 per package fee (<50#). There is a no annual fee option ($2.50 extra/package) but for anything more than 5 packages a year it keeps the cost down. Loose tires are $5. Annual fee now runs on sign up date rather than calendar year.

I've bought Baron crash bars, VA lowers, tires and other items from the US. Funny enough the VA lowers had a Made in Canada mark on the packaging but I couldn't find a Canadian retailer for them!

I declare everything at the border and more often than not I get a thank you and I'm on my way. If I do get pulled in it's PST&GST only and they don't bother with duty.

Like others have said if you do ship across the border try to use USPS. I avoid UPS as they'll send you a nasty bill months later for customs clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.