Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

New to the forum and also the Volusia. I just picked up mine: 2003, sweet looking ride (with Vance and Hines cruzers, which are a bit too loud for my ears). Problem is, the last owner seems to have put too much oil in it and when I pulled off the air box cover, milky oil came out and there was oil in the air filter. So I drained it, cleaned up what I could, put on a K&N air filter (it was the only one I could get), changed the oil filter, filled her up with oil, and... it feels like the gas mixture is too lean.

Bet no one saw that coming. So here's the thing and then questions:
1) If I pull out the choke, the bike feels better. Is riding with the choke on a stupid solution?
2) Is there anywhere I can just get an OEM air filter? I'm totally happy to put the bike back to stock (I've got a line on some stock pipes that I could put on as well)?
3) If push comes to shove, and I have to go with the K&N, how long does the actual re-jet process take? I asked a local mechanic and he quoted me 4 hours of labor! I'd really rather just buy an OEM filter!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you - It looks like I can get a new OEM filter on Ebay for the same price as the K&N. Is it a stupid question to ask why, with all the concerns K&N filters cause, aren't there more of them for sale?

Thanks also for the heads-up about the Smartpartz baffles. I read a bunch of threads on these parts also but was unable to determine how much "quiet" they're going to get me.

Also, it seems like it comes down to whether I want to go back to stock or have all three elements (filter, pipes, jets) modified... if I stick to the pipes, why not also stick to the K&N filter and then do the re-jet. Then everything is modified together, including my dwindling bank account.

Anyone here who is not really that much of a wrench-head (like me) ever take on this re-jet project? Or is it pretty much a given that I spend the $400 on a mechanic?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thank you - It looks like I can get a new OEM filter on Ebay for the same price as the K&N. Is it a stupid question to ask why, with all the concerns K&N filters cause, aren't there more of them for sale?

Thanks also for the heads-up about the Smartpartz baffles. I read a bunch of threads on these parts also but was unable to determine how much "quiet" they're going to get me.

Also, it seems like it comes down to whether I want to go back to stock or have all three elements (filter, pipes, jets) modified... if I stick to the pipes, why not also stick to the K&N filter and then do the re-jet. Then everything is modified together, including my dwindling bank account.

Anyone here who is not really that much of a wrench-head (like me) ever take on this re-jet project? Or is it pretty much a given that I spend the $400 on a mechanic?
I have been using a K&N for 20k miles no problems at all. I have a OEM filter with 2k miles on it. Make me a offer:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

There are no concerns with K & N. I have over 100,000 miles on the one in my Dodge truck. 2.5 years on the Suzuki. New to me trike came with one on it. Would have installed one if it didn't. Clean and oil and there will be no problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are no concerns with K & N.
What I mean by concerns is that the K&N filter isn't necessarily a plug-and-play item for every bike: it often seems to need other modification in order to work properly. A quick search shows that there are many who have had the same problem as me, as well as many who haven't.
http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jets-injectors-pipes/214597-horsepower-loss-after-k-n-air-filter.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/47-custom-mods/180635-k-n-filter-2004-volusia-rejet.html

It is fascinating to me that even among same-model/same-year bikes, sometimes the K&N works flawlessly and sometimes it doesn't.

Anyway, I got the OEM filter in there, fired her up, and took a really nice 80 mile ride out in the country yesterday. This is a beautiful machine and totally relaxing to ride. She still needs a little tweaking somewhere in the fuel system as there is occasional hesitation when holding the throttle steady at low RPMs but I'm loving this bike.

By the way - thank you, Louis, for the cheapcycleparts.com link. Huge help!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad to hear the OEM filter solved your problem. A lot of us periodically run some SeaFoam thru the gas tank to clean out the fuel system.
Some members here replaced their OEM Mufflers as the first mod they made and will likely sell them to you at a great price if your source doesn't work out. Try our Swap Meet.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment, 16 oz - Walmart.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you like the looks of the V&H Cruzers, a good solution to quite them down is some Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffles. I have V&H Straightshots and they were brain hemorrhage loud before the baffles. Really happy with the sound and volume now. Smartpartz Vance & Hines Cruzer Hard Kore Quiet Baffles
+1 on the Smartpartz Baffles.

I have a 2004 Vol with the V&H Cruzers, and when I bought this bike I thought I was going to go deaf...enter Smartpartz. They made a world of difference, they have a nice loudish rummble while cruising but when you really get-on-it they wake up. The best complements have come from my neighbors. :applause:

·
Registered
9 Posts
What I mean by concerns is that the K&N filter isn't necessarily a plug-and-play item for every bike: it often seems to need other modification in order to work properly. A quick search shows that there are many who have had the same problem as me, as well as many who haven't.
http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jets-injectors-pipes/214597-horsepower-loss-after-k-n-air-filter.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/47-custom-mods/180635-k-n-filter-2004-volusia-rejet.html

It is fascinating to me that even among same-model/same-year bikes, sometimes the K&N works flawlessly and sometimes it doesn't.

Anyway, I got the OEM filter in there, fired her up, and took a really nice 80 mile ride out in the country yesterday. This is a beautiful machine and totally relaxing to ride. She still needs a little tweaking somewhere in the fuel system as there is occasional hesitation when holding the throttle steady at low RPMs but I'm loving this bike.

I am new here...I own a 2002 vl 800 and love it...thanks for the link. This is what I needed....great site.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

K & N will never work on a stock jetted carb Period. K & N wont give more horse power to any degree you will notice. K & N will give you better mid-range throttle response when jetted properly. This will seem like more horse power but it is not. I have then on two bikes and they preform very well. Install K & N on a carb and you Must rejet. No, it will not cost $400.00. Don't pay over $150.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts