Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a lot of posts saying how they've used synthetic oil since day one.
Is that for new bikes or used.
The reason I ask is I'm wondering if using synthetic on a new bike is a good thing.
Wouldn't it take a lot more time for the rings to wear in using synthetic?
I thought regular oil should be used during the break in period.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed a gazillion times before but I'm at work and didn't have time to look it up.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Don't know what anyone else does but I start using synthetic at the first oil change in my cars and my bike. Never had so much as a hiccup.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Don't know what anyone else does but I start using synthetic at the first oil change in my cars and my bike. Never had so much as a hiccup.
Kerf is correct.

If an engine has been neglected to the point it has thick sludge formed inside, using/switching to high detergent oil will remove enough sludge to cause leaking around the oil seal. This was more sludge due to the days before hi-detergent oil came around. Another oil wives tale, change oil every 1k, 2k or 3k miles under normal operating conditions.

Anyone on here know from where oil reports (msds or specs) from the mid 60's to the early 80's can be found? I didn't think so. Those old wive's tales remained long after the facts were lost.

Just keep your oil reservoir full and change it at least every 5,000 miles.

Mobil-one synthetic V-Twin 20w50 here.

If your bike uses oil then check it every fuel refill. :) :)

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
yup, I would use whatever you want, when you want. I have used Castrol 20w 50 car oil and Mobil1 15w50 for at least two decades without any problems

·
Registered
624 Posts
If we're talking new bike from dealer then I would stick to what the dealer calls for during the break-in period. After that first 600 miles then I'd switch to Synthetic.
Mostly to avoid warranty issues if you have a problem.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Regular oil for the initial break-in period, then semi-synthetic to the first oil change interval past that. Afterwards, full synthetic till the day you trade it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts