Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On your first spring rides.... especially if it is your first spring as a rider...... but a reminder for the rest of us.....

"As we hope to emerge soon from the Polar Vortex, it’s nearing the time to put your bike back on the road. But, when you do, that first ride of the year can be one of the most dangerous. This is what to watch out for on your first spring motorcycle ride."

What To Watch Out For On Your First Spring Motorcycle Ride | RideApart

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wait, we stop riding in the winter months? Guess I missed that memo. I only stop on snow and ice because my bike doesn't have front-wheel drive!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have been looking out for possible problems already, for once I am able to hit the streets on my bike. There is a ton of sand in the turn lanes around here. This winter is creating a lot of potholes too.

The article says to be aware of the cagers that think motorcycles are traveling slower than what the bikes truly are. This may have something to do with all of the crotch rocket riders around here who can't tell the difference between 40 and 60 on a speed limit sign. If the cager is used to a vehicle traveling at 40 and thinks there is a 20 second window to turn, the bike at 60 gives the cager just over 13 seconds (worse yet, 10 seconds becomes just over 6).

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait, we stop riding in the winter months? Guess I missed that memo. I only stop on snow and ice because my bike doesn't have front-wheel drive!
I thought that even Florida salted their roads at least once this year.......:biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cliff notes: use common sense!
I liked that approach and used to teach it but I've discovered, in my short 60+ years that the table of contents in the book of the common sense varies with the individual and quite possibly common sense doesn't exist for the individual until they've violated one of the ''natural laws of common sense'' or have had it drummed into their head that the content of that law might just be a good thing to pay attention.....

Common sense ain't that common.... for evidence I present - left turning cage drivers............:crying:

To me, teaching common sense is like teaching ESL..........

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Most times I think we have to watch out for ourselves, our own judgement as we are excited to be back out on our bikes.

I remember a couple years ago on 22 west, two riders basically killed themselves with poor judgement on the same springtime weekend. One guy misjudged a curve, the other was speeding and pulled out to pass when he shouldn't have.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Off and On ramp

I'll start riding to work as soon as the weather breaks here. Without thinking I've been scanning the roads for possible problems I might run into on the bike. One that I'll definitely watch is 2 ramps leaving the main highway. The concrete has separated and left a huge gash for an 1/8 mile or more. Looks like I'll be slowing and trying to make as close to a 90 across these.

·
Registered
265 Posts
wait

I might just wait for a couple hard rains to wash the roads clean......Nah, I'll be out there before that lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts