Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and new to riding (just completed the MSP course two weeks ago).

I have my eye on a 2005 c50 with 1700 miles that the owner is willing to let go at a good price. The owner says the title is clear, its never been dropped, is mechanically sound, and he is also the original owner.

My questions are:

What should I be looking for the first time I go see the bike?

What should I do during the test ride?

Of course any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You, James

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd go take a look at it. See if there are any obvious physical things that he "forgot" to mention.

Then, if you like it and it looks good, say, "I'm interested, and will definitely buy it if you just allow me to have a dealer look at it and check it out." Explain how you don't much about motorcycles and just want to make sure everything's good. Most people, if they don't have anything to hide, would have no problem with it. And if you really like it, get a receipt and lay down a small deposit. 50 bucks or so that he'll hold it till it's checked out by a dealer.

That's what I'd do......or rather will be doing if I buy a used bike in the future......

Alexi

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Boy 1700 miles is almost brand new! I put that on my current bike in less than 2 weeks!

I think if there is anything wrong with it, it will be due to a drop or crash, so it should be pretty evident by looking it over real well.

Make sure your getting a real good deal though, these bikes can be bought new from the dealer if you get last years model for right around $5000. Just and FYI!

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow some fast responses here, thats great.

The owner said he will let it go for $4200.00 but that was negotiable, if I like it I'll offer $4000.00 and start from there.

What do you all think about a test ride. Is there anything special I should be looking out for?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Will the owner let you ride it first without a commitment?

Can't be much wrong mechanically at 1700 miles.
If it was stored the tires may have checking and there could be some corrosion on metal chrome parts.

Price sounds great if it's undamaged and well kept.

Good luck there...

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Please don't take offense at this, but if your only riding experience has been to take the MSF course, I wouldn't even consider asking to take his bike for a ride. Waaay too much liability. Sit on it, get a feel for what kind of a "fit" it is for you, ask him to fire it up so you can hear it, but that's as far as I would go. That's assuming he would even let anyone take it out.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats some good advice, I'll follow it. And yes my only experience is the Safety course so maybe taking it out for a spin on someone else's dime is not the best policy.
So that leaves me with a visual inspection, and listening to the engine for any obvious irregularities.

If I like what I see, and now hear. Ill close the deal and trailer it home (so I'll only embarrass myself in front of my neighbors) to learn how to ride it.

BTW... A lot of my friends ride and they don't want me to start with a 800cc bike. They feel I'll outgrow it to fast, I hope thats not the case because I like all the features on the c50. My brother has a Honda VTX 1300 and he is pushing for me to get that one. Any thought on that...You people are awesome. Thanx

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
BTW... A lot of my friends ride and they don't want me to start with a 800cc bike. They feel I'll outgrow it to fast, I hope thats not the case because I like all the features on the c50. My brother has a Honda VTX 1300 and he is pushing for me to get that one. Any thought on that...You people are awesome. Thanx
You do fine for quite a while on that C50...
It will surprise you and your friends!

·
Registered
141 Posts
JamesPA said:
Whatever size bike you start on should be your choice. I'll mention two things....

1) A colleague of mine is a bit of the macho type. And he was talked into a 1300 at the dealer. He thought it was awesome to go fast and carve corners and took one too fast totaling his bike and getting some road rash. Luckily he didn't buy that skid lid he was contemplating cause it was "cooler" than his full face helmet. And now he went back to the dealer to see what he could replace it with and got a 1700cc to replace it. I'm not going to be riding with him unless I lead and he goes at MY pace.

2) Let's say it does end up being too small. Let's say you do outgrow it. Better to learn on, and eventually outgrow an 800cc, $4000 bike with very low mileage that you can resell for probably at least 3/4 of what you paid. Meaning you only spent $1000 learning on a smaller, and maybe more controllable bike. Rather than ending up like situation #1.

Alexi

·
Registered
235 Posts
used bike

I would think the C50 would serve you well for a long time. I've been riding since 1986 and currently own a 2005 C50T. Low speed handling is great my only real concern is highway speeds above 70 it gets real noisy and doesn't feel rock solid. I've been on other bikes at 100 plus that felt much more stable. I'm not looking to go that fast anymore however 80 would be nice somedays.

·
Registered
884 Posts
For the money IMO this is the perfect bike. I have rode lots of different bikes, my brother has a Harley Road king and a Honda Goldwing plus a Valkire honda and no matter what he rides I am right there . For me it works . :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
The shop I have my bike in now is run by a custom big CC chopper builder. He works on anything on two wheels however. He test rode my bike to dial in some things and was shocked. He said the big size of the bike and knowing it was only 50 CI motor he was expecting a turd. A fist full of throttle and the bike will try to roll away from you.

That 800 cc bike will last you plenty. If you want to ride 100 mph and carve turns maybe look at a sport tourer or rocket

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
My only motorcycle shifting experience was MSF too and when I bought it I had a friend ride back to my house don't feel bad about trailering it home the the first time. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
284 Posts
JamesPA said:
The owner said he will let it go for $4200.00 but that was negotiable, if I like it I'll offer $4000.00 and start from there.
That's a good price. I bought my 2004 VL800 for $3,950 on last year, having $1,500 spent by the previous owner on the extras...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi from another Pa resident James
I was in much the same boat as you last year. Believe me the C50 will be fine for your first bike. I bought a Vstar 650 last year and it was plenty to learn on and I still would be riding it if it wasn't for the intervention of a hapless dear one morning in January. The Vstar weighed about 100 lbs less than the C50 and I dropped mine twice before I got used to some things. (I am very stout and was a blacksmith for 20+ years so plenty of strength) The higher CC bikes are even heavier than the C50. I ask a couple of friends at work who ride all the time before I bought and their answer was "the 650 will snap your head back enough for a while". Well the C50 is considerably more bike than the 650 was. It does everything I expect now after a year (6000 miles ) of riding including carrying momma around with me when opportunity presents itself. It will snap you head back enough for quite a while.
Chet

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Queen of the Hill said:
Please don't take offense at this, but if your only riding experience has been to take the MSF course, I wouldn't even consider asking to take his bike for a ride. Waaay too much liability. Sit on it, get a feel for what kind of a "fit" it is for you, ask him to fire it up so you can hear it, but that's as far as I would go. That's assuming he would even let anyone take it out.
+1

I wouldn't let *anybody* test ride a bike I was selling unless I see some serious cash. It's not worth the risk. A rider of unknown ability on a strange bike is trouble waiting to happen.

·
Registered
925 Posts
cactusjack said:
I wouldn't let *anybody* test ride a bike I was selling unless I see some serious cash. It's not worth the risk. A rider of unknown ability on a strange bike is trouble waiting to happen.
+1

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I've been riding for nearly 25 years, and after 4-5 years without a bike, I broke down and bought a new 2007 C50 loaded this past Wednesday, but more for fuel economy than anything. Out of 4 bikes I've owned now, it's by no means the fastest, but it is the biggest!

Yesterday I rode across the state to a friends' for a BBQ and Poker Party, and rather than staying the night as originally planned, I decided to make the 2.5 hours ride home on tight twisties through the mountains at about 11:00pm since I have another long ride w/ a local friend today... Because I was basically freezing my ass of, I rode hard and fast, averaging 65 in the mountains (non-divided highways) and 75-85 in the flats, even peaking out at 95 in the flats where I had a 4 lane divided highway. Had I not had a full sized windshield to hold me back, I think I could have easily squeezed another 10mph out of her.

By the time I got home I had shaved nearly 20 minutes off of a typical 2.5 hour trip, and being about 1 degree shy of hypothermia, I headed straight for a hottttt shower and a warm bed.

I now have exactly 302 miles on my bike, with 2 of those being from the dealer post-assembly test ride.

I'm hoping we'll be adding a couple hundred more today, because it is/ was my goal to hit the 600 mile mark within the first week. 8)

Anyways, don't ever allow anyone to tell you what you should or should not have in the way of a bike, because bigger is NOT necessarily better... I have never owned anything larger than this 805 C50, though my brother has never owned anything smaller than a 1000 GS-E.

-Tim

BTW: Out of every dealer in my area, not 1 would even consider allowing a test ride, for insurance reasons... This was the first bike that I have bought, where I was told that I could only ride it after I owned it, and I'm hearing that this is pretty much the norm these days.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok.. Woke up this morning and I am entirely amazed at all the the responses in this thread. Thank you all very much for all of the advice.

At the beginning of this year I never thought that I would be riding a motorcycle. It was something the my brother alway wanted to try and he wanted someone to go with him to the MSF course so here I am now, buying my first bike, and finding myself with a new hobby. I have to say that I am excited about too. But not being a kid I wanted to do it as safe as possible, and with the most knowledge I can accumulate. So I landed here. I think I read all of the NOObe Questions threads so far and Im learning so much.

I dont plan on doing any hard riding. Just some day adventures with my brother while the kids are in school. So I'm looking for a reliable cruiser that will be low maintenance to maximize the "get out and ride" aspect and the minimize the "lets stay home and tinker with the things" part.

It seems like a far deal ($4000.00 for an '05 c50)on a well respected bike so if it all goes well then I'm in. Thanks especially to SSquire for the link to the info on buying a used bike, theres a lot to learn there, thanx.

Any other advice to a new rider is always appreciated, like what kind gear to keep on the bike or whatever. Thank you all. James

1 - 20 of 32 Posts