Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snapped this while waiting at a light in my truck. Just after we made our left hand turn Mr. Dress For Success's hat flew off and I ran over it (not intentional). He cut in front of me, made a u-turn to go retrieve his hat. About a minute later the downpour came. Karma.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
That's about how everybody gears up around here, except I see a lot of guys wearing flip flop sandals.

·
Registered
819 Posts
He's not alone.....

Looks like they are considering bringing in compulsory boots here, apparently foot injuries are the most common serious injury with shoes / sneakers or elastic sided boots pulling off the instant your feet hit the ground in an accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have only ever worn t-shirt/sweatshirt and jeans for over 50 years of riding. Sometimes a jacket when it's cold. Most times I have only worn a half face helmet, unless I was trail riding.

There was only the old pudding basin ones when I started riding practically and sort of got use to it.

I like the freedom of riding a motorcycle and I do not feel that, if I am in a full face and full body armour.

I know the risks and I accept them. Please don't tell me about eating through a straw. The only person I ever met who had to do that did so because he suffered a stroke at 43.

Not saying that I am right and everybody should do it, but don't tell me that I am wrong for doing it either, it will fall on selectively deaf ears.:wayhappy:

Coops.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have only ever worn t-shirt/sweatshirt and jeans for over 50 years of riding. Sometimes a jacket when it's cold. Most times I have only worn a half face helmet, unless I was trail riding.

There was only the old pudding basin ones when I started riding practically and sort of got use to it.

I like the freedom of riding a motorcycle and I do not feel that, if I am in a full face and full body armour.

I know the risks and I accept them. Please don't tell me about eating through a straw. The only person I ever met who had to do that did so because he suffered a stroke at 43.

Not saying that I am right and everybody should do it, but don't tell me that I am wrong for doing it either, it will fall on selectively deaf ears.:wayhappy:

Coops.

No argument here. I've been riding since 1971 without accident. But I always gear up as much as I can stand to just in case. Not much point in riding if you can't enjoy it. As long as we understand the risks and take responsibility. This is America and we should be free to make those choices no matter how stupid someone else thinks it is. But I encourage new riders to gear up because the first year can be especially challenging.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I always wear a helmet and gloves. I just feel more comfortable with them on. I usually wear boots, and frequently wear a leather or armored jacket. But I strongly feel that whatever you wear is your choice. But I also reserve the right make fun of riders who lose their hats or flip flops, bwahahaha!

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
Like I said, your skin, your choice. My personal decision is to wear full gear, and I have spent a lot of money buying different gear to maximize safety while maintaining comfort. In some areas I am not quite as safe as I could be, for instance I wear Iron Worker jeans with no armor, but that is because of the comfort aspect.

Despite my choices I do not begrudge anyone else's decision to dress in any way they see fit. The only exception to that is when Beezer decided to ride in just his speedo, but no one wants that. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I just want a pair of fancy sneakers...

heck I just want to replace my old black combat boots because they're's a hole in them.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I say everyone should have the choice...........personally, I have seen too many cases of road rash to ride without "some" protection. JMO

·
Registered
23,781 Posts
It's everyone's personal choice. They just have to understand and accept the consequences for their actions. Around here you see crotch rocket riders dressed like that and speeding along just waiting for an accident.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
'Cept for the hat I often ride dressed like the fella in the O/P.

Have wrecked twice in my life, the first I dumped the bike and put the front brake lever completely through my knee, the other I got peeled off my bike by a tree branch while hauling @$$ down a fire road....that one left one hell of a goose egg and a bloody gash...was seeing quadruple, but did manage to recover my bike and go right back to riding (never did see a doctor about it)....Highly doubt any gear short of a full faced helmet would have spared me and my shorty helmet would probably have caught the branch and broke my neck.

I'll take my chances, if there comes a day they have to scrape me off the road it was my time to go.

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
I'll take my chances, if there comes a day they have to scrape me off the road it was my time to go.
As long as you're aware that is a distinct possibility and make a conscience decision to gamble on it, I fully support your decision. It's as simple as that. Ride how you want and don't judge others because they made a different decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
safety

I always wear long pants, long sleves, helmet, boots, gloves and eye protection. When going to work on base I wear a reflective/dayglo vest as required. Ive been a paramedic since 1978 and realize that riding a bike is more dangerous than driving a 4 wheeler, But I also realize protective clothes can really help save you and retain control in a bad situation. I see lots of people riding with sneakers, shorts, tee shirts and in some cases no shirt, no helmet and no eye protection.... I cringe and then realize that without careless people the world would need fewer paramedics.:shades:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
What do they call a biker with no helmet in the ER?

An organ donor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.