Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
You got the better bike, buddy. I only averaged 45.1 mpg.
Going over? Nah you got like 50 or 51. I averaged right around 48 over the hill. On the way back I was something like 42, which is kind of odd because I rode slower on the way home. Ethanol? Wind? Not sure.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Oh. I thought you meant for the trip. Yes, going over, I got 163 miles on 2.977 gallons of gas. For the entire trip, including the parade, I averaged 45.1.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I never took the 2007 C50 (stock) over 80 but my son told be me took it to around 110 ( I will have to ask him the exactly speedo reading was) when travelling between DC and Frostberg. He was going less than half this speed when he had his accident.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I did 70-75 easily on Alligator Alley & 80-85 on I-75. But it pegged at about 72 going up the Skyway Bridge :biglaugh:

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only thing that I've done in terms of performance is exhaust system upgrade. I touched 100 for a brief second on my 09 C50 once, but my killjoy wife assures me that according to her GPS, my speedo overstates speed by about 7%. She takes a sick joy in raining on my parade. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
An indicated 80 mph with a bit left, pushing the standard Boulevard windshield along with a rocket sidecar. It has V&H straight pipes, Power Commander III, and air flow adjustment; it is a 2007. It pulls like a train between 0-65 mph and rivals my Gen I Hayabusa for outright fun. As a sidecar mule, it does very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I think the highest I've had it was 85, but I think it will do more - but don't really want to try!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting thread. As for me...

Based on my own experience after several thousand miles of touring since I bought my 2011 C50 this summer, I have no complaints about it's ability on the road.
I've put hours in at 80MPH* on the way to and from Sturgis without a hitch and with power to spare, even loaded up with me (around 180#) and my camping gear.

*That's 80MPH real speed checked against the GPS. Not what's indicated on the speedometer.

Compared to my previous bike, a Honda 600VLX, the Boulevard is not as nimble and seems a bit slower off the line, but it's also larger and about 100# heavier, too. I think the Honda tracked better.
The payoff though, is that the Suzuki is more comfortable and handles the bumps a little better. Not a big deal around town, but pretty nice on a ten or twelve hour riding day.

I'm willing to concede that my riding style may enter into the picture.
I cruise.
I don't feel the need to pass everything in front of me. I find a nice place in line and mellow on out down the road. I'm not a rolling roadblock either...If something needs to be passed, I'll pass. I've had no problem with passing power.

All in all, I'm happy enough with it.

·
Super Moderator
56,262 Posts
An indicated 80 mph with a bit left, pushing the standard Boulevard windshield along with a rocket sidecar. It has V&H straight pipes, Power Commander III, and air flow adjustment; it is a 2007. It pulls like a train between 0-65 mph and rivals my Gen I Hayabusa for outright fun. As a sidecar mule, it does very well.
That is so cool.

I didn't think after being told differently it could be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is so cool.

I didn't think after being told differently it could be done.
It was a home project and not so easy with the cruiser geometry, but my daughter wanted that look. After a year of on-going fettling, it is solid, stable and safe. IMO, a free breathing C50 engine provides big fun for local, non-touring side-car duty. I wasn't so sure how well it would do, but am now a die-hard C50 fan......a really great value bike.

I can post photos of the connecting strut arrangement if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interestingly, nobody is talking about the brakes, or lack of adequate braking power at such speeds. Even though I did go up to ~90 MPH indicated on my C50, it was painfully obvious that I won't stop in any reasonable distance, should I have to in an emergency.
Considering there is no ABS, no traction controls, a weak drum brake in the back and a puny small single disk brake in the front, going above 65 MPH is probably not aligning well with your chances of avoiding an accident.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interestingly, nobody is talking about the breaks, or lack of adequate breaking power at such speeds. Even though I did go up to ~90 MPH indicated on my C50, it was painfully obvious that I won't stop in any reasonable distance, should I have to in an emergency.
Considering there is no ABS, no traction controls, a weak drum break in the back and a puny small single disk break in the front, going above 65 MPH is probably not aligning well with your chances of avoiding an accident.
To be fair the engine provides so much braking itself that you barely need brakes at all. I find myself a lot of the time lightly pressing the brake just so it lights up, the engine is doing most the work

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interestingly, nobody is talking about the brakes, or lack of adequate braking power at such speeds. Even though I did go up to ~90 MPH indicated on my C50, it was painfully obvious that I won't stop in any reasonable distance, should I have to in an emergency.
Considering there is no ABS, no traction controls, a weak drum brake in the back and a puny small single disk brake in the front, going above 65 MPH is probably not aligning well with your chances of avoiding an accident.
To be fair the engine provides so much braking itself that you barely need brakes at all. I find myself a lot of the time lightly pressing the brake just so it lights up, the engine is doing most the work
True to that, engine braking is a thing at such speeds, but I’m talking about emergency braking. Engine breaking is ok when there is time to stop, breaks are for everything else and then some. Additionally, engine braking at such speed is probably more stressful on the bike than gradually and linearly slowing down with a pair of $20 brake shoes that are disposable.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Engine BREAKING........yep.......that happens a lot at 95 mph! ....LOL.......now engine BRAKING is a whole different story........sames as drum and disc BRAKES. ;)

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
If you think you've gone 100+ mph on a C50 Suzuki...... You're living in a dream world.
But what if they pushed it out the back of an airplane?

81 - 100 of 107 Posts