Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast will a VL 800 go, I don't wont to here a lot I think it will or it should go, I have a 2003 VL800, Anniversary edition, 11,300 miles, I run Mobil V-twin oil, with factory wind shield & Bags, I weigh 200# I know for a fact the speedometer is 5 mph fast at 70 mph, it tops out at 95 mph (Indicated) on level ground normal wind, I have debaffeled pipes, K &N air filter, drilled air cleaner cover (4) 3/4 holes along the bottom, rejeted carb, Jet size is a #.059 drill, metering rod has 3 washers under it, I run mid range fuel, I don't know what the octane is. It seems to have good all around performance, idle, mid-rang-pulls good from 40 mph in 5th gear. Best mileage is 48.9 on the road, 36 around town. I'm a retired auto teacher so I understand how thing should work. some people claim 110 mph, do I need to find a good mechanic??

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Top speed of my 2004 Volusia on flat ground, DJ Drive, jetted for the UNI, Jardine/Peacemaker exhaust, Hot wires, 20" windshield is 92 true.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
108 indicated, which I believe would actually be 98.

My old Seca Turbo on the other hand............... :twisted:

-Tim

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have the 06 fuel injected model, I have registered 106, and I know my speedo is correct. I have matched it up against my brothers honda 1300 VTX, my own car and my wife's car, all read the same.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
02 Volusia Stock. No rejet, Just Punched a hole through the exhaust and drilled 4 holes in the back plate. DJ Drive, 21" Windshield and fully dressed with saddlebags. Mileage around town 33 MPG. Top speed 95 as indicated on speedo on the freeway, and it wouldn't do any more if its' life depended on it. :lol:

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
I can't say now....before the DJ drive that we just installed today...my top speed was about 85 screaming...rejetted, k&n filter, saddlebags w/big windshield.

today after the DJ drive install...i hit 85 w/o even TRYING...and had a lot of throttle left

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks guys for the honest opinions, my 95 mph with the windshield & bags sounds just barely ok, I think I'm going to try & run a portabal fuel - air ratio meter on mine to see if I'm any where close to the right fuel air ratio running down the road. You know really 90 is fast enough if---- that's all its suppose to do, I just want the vehicle to give me what it capable of, not less!!

·
Administrator
52,639 Posts
wehrd1 said:
I can't say now....before the DJ drive that we just installed today...my top speed was about 85 screaming...rejetted, k&n filter, saddlebags w/big windshield.

today after the DJ drive install...i hit 85 w/o even TRYING...and had a lot of throttle left
Oh-Oh........Hot time in the old town tonight! :twisted:

·
Administrator
52,639 Posts
Grayeeagle said:
How fast will a VL 800 go, I don't wont to here a lot I think it will or it should go, I have a 2003 VL800, Anniversary edition, 11300 miles, I run Mobil V-twin oil, with factory wind shield & Bags, I weigh 200# I know for a fact the speedometer is 5 mph fast at 70 mph, it tops out at 95 mph (Indicated) on level ground normal wind, I have debaffeled pipes, K &N air filter, drilled air cleaner cover (4) 3/4 holes along the bottom, rejeted carb, Jet size is a #.059 drill, metering rod has 3 washers under it, I run mid range fuel, I don't know what the octane is. It seems to have good all around performance, idle, mid-rang-pulls good from 40 mph in 5th gear. Best mileage is 48.9 on the road, 36 around town. I'm a retired auto teacher so I understand how thing should work. some people claim 110 mph, do I need to find a good mechanic??
I'd say Your machine is at mid ground in the ball park.

·
Administrator
29,621 Posts
Alls I know is if you ride it routinely over 90 MPH you won't need to worry about getting it any faster.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had it up to 97 once with a little throttle still left. I chickened out.... a bit scarey. And I verified the speed with my GPS. My speedo reads about 6 mph FAST at that speed.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
RichisinAZ said:
Had it up to 97 once with a little throttle still left. I chickened out.... a bit scarey. And I verified the speed with my GPS. My speedo reads about 6 mph FAST at that speed.
When you see an error in your post, there should be a little "edit" box in the upper right corner. Click that, change whatever, hit submit and your original post should be what you wanted.

After 3 years on here, I figured that out a few days ago. Big help!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts