Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
On the c50: 125 miles, get gas ASAP. 150 miles, get gas NOW. 160 miles, get gas from a canister. Maybe I am just hard on the throttle. (Miles per tank is one reason I switched bikes.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yesterday I rode a 273 mile round trip to Geneva-On-The-Lake Ohio just to get a dog and a root beer at Eddie's Grill for lunch.

Yeah...I do stuff like that. :laugh:

I came home with a box for donuts, too.

I'm still a bit surprised at the variance in responses regarding range.

I took off with a full tank and filled up again at my destination, then once again when I got home.
Figuring about 135 miles each way, there was still a bar showing on the fuel gauge and a second bar flickering when I got there. (No, I don't rely on my fuel gauge for anything but an estimate, but I'm just saying.)
I was getting the same reading when I fueled up at home.

Doin' the cipherin', it looks like I was getting a bit over 45MPG.

The trip was mostly highway with posted speed limits between 65 and 70 mph. Not a camping trip, so the load was light.

I still wouldn't want to chance running out, so I usually stop for a gas no longer than 130 miles (usually less) on trips.
One trip (plus my experience from last summer's riding) is not a big scientific sample, but it least gives me some conform that I'm regularly getting the same results....at 130 miles, I still have some gas to spare.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Up until this thread, I had forgotten about just how short the legs are on a C50. I rode straight through from Mid-Ohio race course to home last night and only stopped for red-lights. I still have 1/3 of a tank remaining from that fill-up too. It is nice to not only be able to keep up with the larger touring bikes, but outlast their fuel capacity too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
so.. I was expelled from HS never did learn math.
my 06 C50 went 126 miles and I filled up and it took 2.6gallons to fill it back up.
we have a 4.1 gallon tank right?
how many miles could I have gone before stalling out? we all know the conservative range but what is actual range? jus curious.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Do not EVER run your tank dry. It WILL ruin your fuel pump.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
The submerged fuel pump uses the surrounding gas to cool the impeller motor. If you run it dry, you will overheat it and cause it to fail.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I guess the Vol does have a slight advantage over the C50 in this regard. I regularly go 180 miles between fill-ups when on a ride in the mountains. Back and forth to work I get at least 140 per tank. I guess the carbureted version carries a little more fuel?

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
You have a bigger tank. The fuel pump reduced the C50 capacity to 4.1 gallons.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
On the c50: 125 miles, get gas ASAP. 150 miles, get gas NOW. 160 miles, get gas from a canister. Maybe I am just hard on the throttle. (Miles per tank is one reason I switched bikes.)
I don't think so. Either a lot of guys spend a lot of time at 35MPH or there is some extreme exaggeration going on in this thread. 110-120 was really typical for me. I did see 50MPG one time, riding around BRP, averaged a little over 50MPG for the weekend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always filled my tank around 120 miles. The light came on somewhere between there and 130. The longest I ever pushed it was 164, and that was terrifying.

In the very early 1990's I pushed my first motorcycle a couple of miles to a family member's farm, bought some gas off him, and never pushed my luck, or my motorcycle again.

:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
...In the very early 1990's I pushed my first motorcycle a couple of miles to a family member's farm, bought some gas off him, and never pushed my luck, or my motorcycle again.
:biglaugh:
My first motorcycle used 4 spark plugs per tank of gas... (Kawasaki Street/Trail 125; 2 cycle used POS)

I pushed that thing EVERYWHERE!

LOL

·
Registered
326 Posts
Got 180 miles out of a full tank yesterday. Filled up to the brim before the trip. Rode mixed riding between 50-80mph depending on conditions. Fuel light came on and off around the 150 mile mark, reduced speed to indicated 60, fuel light remained on at the 160 mile mark. Heavens opened and torrential rain, kevlar jeans wet through, freezing cold.
Decided to risk it and get home, she made it, 180 miles total on one tank.
No idea how much is in there now, will give it a shake and listen, if I dont hear any splashes i'll pinch some out of my garden petrol can.
Well impressed with that range though, considering it has a huge screen, saddlebags and lowers fitted. That said Im only 155lb

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The average C50 gets about 38-40 mpg. Some are slightly better, some worse. My light came on about 130. I knew I had to get gas within 30 miles. Not 31. If we rode Freeways or into winds, mpg were closer to 32-35. Aside from a sportster, I never owned another bike capable of cruising or touring where i was so aware of my fuel level. Anytime I rode with other makes and models of motorcycles, I was always the first to need gas.

It is likely I'd still be on, or own my C50 if it had a 5.5 gallon tank. Out West, from the Mississippi to the Pacific, towns can be spaced out. Even a 5 gallon tank would have put the idiot light range upwards of 170. A minimum for out West. My current bike the gas light comes on somewhere around 220.

I never thought getting gas would be an issue as I owned a sportster. But the sporty while fun, it was used more locally, while the C50 is a capable touring bike except for the range. I never understood why Suzuki did not see this or some after market company popped a bunch of drop in replacement 5.5 tanks, primed or even black.

If I give up touring and just screw around near home, in parts of Idaho and eastern washington, I'd consider another C50.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts