Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone as far as 175 miles on my 2009 C50 before fueling up. I've never run it dry so I really don't know what point I'm in the danger zone.

With touring season coming up, I'm curious to know that if I'm riding down and endless highway in a remote area and that last gas station I expected to top off at was boarded up (it happens/has happened) how many miles I might be able to wring out of a tank.

A follow up: My C50 is the first fuel-injected bike I've owned. Is there any special method with restarting if it runs dry...Or just gas 'n go?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
The range of a C-50 is classified information.

Sorry. :)

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
If you got 175 out of the tank, you were on fumes. Most C50/Vol owners will fill up between 125 and 150 miles. I rarely pushed it past 160, just out of an abundance of caution.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
Another precaution. Because it is injected, the fuel pump NEEDS to remain submerged in fuel to stay cool. If you run the tank dry, you will damage the pump.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. Those were the answers I needed.

I always carry a bit of spare gas in a fuel bottle on long trips just in case, but I still wanted to get a handle on how many miles I might get from a tankfull.

I didn't even think to ask how many miles I might get when the light goes on. Good to know.

I think the fuel gauge gives more of a rough guess than an accurate measurement. I still use the trip odometer as a gauge since my last bike had no gauge at all...I'm still in the habit.

In practice, I usually start looking for gas stations around 120 miles...Sooner if I'm in a remote area.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The range of a C-50 is classified information.

Sorry.
Not just the C50.
I've asked salespeople about the range of bikes I've been looking at and they look at me like I just asked them what type of apple does one need to jump start a fish.

I guess they don't get asked questions about range very often. 🙂

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I don't trust the tripmeter either. I open the tank and use a cigarette lighter to see how much is in there.
You guys are so lame.

I don't use the gauge, nor the trip meter to figure how much fuel I have.
I just ask Siri.:grin2:

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
Fuel gauges on the motorcycle are merely a suggestion of what you have left in the tank. I ALWAYS reset the odometer at each fuel stop and start looking for gas at a given distance traveled. On the CTX, that is 200 miles. On the C50 that was 120 miles.

·
Super Moderator
23,790 Posts
I kid, but using the tripmeter is a good idea. The fuel gauge isn't known for being very accurate. Try not to push it unless you have some spare gas with you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Typical 120-150 miles before the light comes on. Sometimes more if at a slow and steady pace, sometimes less if 80+ MPH a lot of the time. YMMV depending on your weight, bike maintenance, tyre pressure etc

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
I averaged around 37 MPG in Florida for fuel economy so 37 * 4 = 141 Max on a tank of gas. It was more like 32MPG Interstate riding and 42MPG tooling around country roads. I usually filled up at the 110-120-mile mark when the fuel light would typically turn on.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Want the ironic side, my rearend needs a break about 175 miles, so that's when I fill up, get a drink, etc.

However, I did want to now the MPG on my01 Volusia really was. Found on the road get 56-58 mpg, and in town 52 mpg. I know my rearend won't last that long before a fill up..... comfortable seat, with gel, etc. so that's not the issue..... .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts