Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what is out there for chops and bobs that aren't HD based. Are there any big air-cooled V-Twins out there that are chain or belt driven?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Triumph has a few chain drives and in their larger displacement bikes they have belts. Also Victory has belt drives along with Indian.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Neither of the above are chain drive. As far as I know, Honda makes a chain drive 750 v- twin called the Shadow Spirit, I believe, but that's about it.
Well, he did say chain OR belt. And yes, Indian and Victory are both larger displacement, but not everyone can afford that price tag.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well, he did say chain OR belt. And yes, Indian and Victory are both larger displacement, but not everyone can afford that price tag.
Right on I too missed the belt drive comment probably because the title only mentioned chain drive.
Really makes it a lot easier as current big displacement V-Twin chain drive motorcycles are hard to find but there are lot more belt drive V-Twins.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think there are too many Indian or Victory motors out there to be used as a project. I would be much cheaper to go HD, S&S or Rev Tech I bet.

I want to someday build a chopper but wanted to be different and not go HD. Also, you will lose your ass if you ever sell it, so I figured why not start with a cheaper motor to start with?

I don't know about using a drive shaft model. It seems there would be a lot of fabricating to make that work and of course it wouldn't look near as good IMO. Bu the driveshaft models are certainly more prevalent.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I don't think there are too many Indian or Victory motors out there to be used as a project. I would be much cheaper to go HD, S&S or Rev Tech I bet.

I want to someday build a chopper but wanted to be different and not go HD. Also, you will lose your ass if you ever sell it, so I figured why not start with a cheaper motor to start with?

I don't know about using a drive shaft model. It seems there would be a lot of fabricating to make that work and of course it wouldn't look near as good IMO. Bu the driveshaft models are certainly more prevalent.

Bottom line, be different. I would use an s and s knucklehead motor for a chop with chain primary and others.. 4 speed from baker. Old school but reliable.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Often Bobbers start as damaged MCs but from your last post you want to buy and ride a bike and later radically mod it to a chopper or bobber bike. Good way would be to shop locally for a good used candidate. Craig's List often is a good place to shop.

A lot of HD get mods and you may well find one on its's way to the kind of radical bike :shades: you are wanting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I should amend it to 1000cc and larger air-cooled, chain or belt driven motors to see what is out there.

The big Yammies would be pretty sweet.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Im not sure anybody makes a chain drive liter class v twin. I do like the big stars, though. My bil had a star 1300 he rode for a decade. Nice... But i believe it was belt drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The V-Strom and Vulcan are water cooled and I just don't think they would look good in an open frame of a chopper. Usually the exterior of the engines lack any personality, not to mention you have a radiator and hoses to stink up the scene.

Maybe a Vulcan motor in a short chop with a springer front end with wide front tire might work. Maybe. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.