Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I’ve read it once, I’ve read it a hundred times...”what is mickey”. Well folks, once and for all here is the definitive answer. Look in my gallery! A picture is worth a thousand words.

I've got a C50, debaffled and demickeyed now. I was nervous about doing it since my bike was a new one. I ended up doing it in steps over the last few months. Drilled 1/8'' holes, a little later 3/8'' and then 1/2". I was going to be satisfied with that until I met with a bunch of guys from this site for a ride. When three or four of them pulled up with debaffled pipes that was it! Man, their bikes made mine sound like a Cushman. As soon as I got home from the ride I debaffled with the twin hole saws and demickeyed with a softball bat. Boy do I like that dark throaty rumble. I should have done it right off the bat. (Pardon the pun)

I did not have to make any adjustments to fuel or air on my C50. Believe it or not the C50's OBC will adjust mixture to compensate for lack of back pressure by changing the fuel mixture. Very slight, but does change. The advantage is that you regain much of your off-the-line and mid-range power. Bad news is that as the OBC does compensate, so the pipes start taming down. Still sounds nice, but not as gnarly as a Volusia which is carbureted and will only change with re-jetting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How difficult was it taking mickey out with the ball bat? I've already debaffled but want to remove mickey. Some say to drill them out but looking at the two tubes, they are just too close to the sides to use a drill. I'm concerned about dinging the pipes if I use the bat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I beat the living crap out of the mickeys in my pipes and destroyed the bat and only bent the mickeys. I started to notice on the top pipe that the tubes were hitting the top of the pipe so I stopped with that one. I thought about trying the saw but both are a little too banged up to even try at this point. The sound that comes out of mine are a little raspy but I can deal with the increase in sound until I can afford the pipes that I actually want. All I can say is be careful with the bat idea for fear of messing up the outside of the pipes.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the small end of the bat in there and hit the fat end of the bat with a 20 pound sledge hammer. Didn't take but a few licks for them to give up. As you can see, they certainly fought back. There are three tack welds holding them in. I hit them like I didn't care if I tore up the pipes and I guess I just got lucky. If I had a long drill extension I would have rather drilled them. And I think mickey's ears would have acted as a guide for the hole saw. Having used a 20 lb. hammer, I don't know for the life of me what it would take to whup 'em out with a little hammer!

BTW Special Ed, your avatar is weirding me out!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extensions can be seen at this link: http://www.waynesvillecycle.com/footpeg_extensions.htm They look good and fit over the exhaust perfectly.

The floorboards can be seen at this link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002556/showCustom-0/p-2002556/N-111+10211+600002054/c-10111 They are chrome plated stamped steel. If you are going to ride with them in the up position I wouldn't recommend them. They are ugly underneath. But they look good in the down position and they are big. Lots of room for for my wife to change her foot position on long rides.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ed, Ya did it, ya like it huh ? I may have to come and hear it
and debaffle myself. May be able to come up there to here it if
your schedule is open for a bit this wkend. Let me know.
By the way feeling a lot better now, still stiff but a whole lot better,
Anyway let me know. Hope to see you all again soon.

Titan

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got duty this weekend so I can't. But the next three weekends are good. Let's hook up if you can on one of those. If you like my results we can knock yours out in no time flat. I've got all the stuff we need.

Glad you're gettin' better.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
68Injunhed:

I see you have the C50 too. Bunch of questions if you wouldn't mind.

1. Did you have to make any mods to the FI or air after you took that last one out?
2. Did you notice any performance change/loss?
3. Does it sound more/less low pitched?
4. Do you worry about waking the neighbors?
5. Did you knock it out or drill it out with hole saw?

Whew! Sorry. I want to do it but I'm chicken. Anxiously curious!

·
Registered
243 Posts
1. All I did was unhook the battery and let the FI reset.

2. Bike seems to run as strong as ever...no noticable gain or loss from just the first 2 plates being gone.

3. I think the sound is appreciably deeper, especially under load. It is a little louder, but not alot, definitely makes the bike sound like it should.

4. No issues with the neighbors.

5. I just knocked it in a bit with a bat, and used a long piece of aluminum angle iron to direct the hammer blows right on the spot welds after I got the edge "rolled up" a little with the bat. Wasn't any harder than the mickey, except I did remove my pipes and clamp them(by the mount plates) in a vise to do it. I'm sure it would be just ever so slightly more difficult to do them on the bike. Getting the pieces out is the toughest part.

Don't be scared, I bet that if you like the sound with the 1st two stages done, you'll love the 3rd plate gone even more.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I DID IT. Took out that last plate. Now my pipes are empty. Unhooked my battery to reset my OBC.

How does it sound?

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts