Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go to a visitation at a funeral home tonight. One of my friends dad died last Friday. Cancer is a bitch, I saw it first hand tonight. About a month ago they gave his dad 2 weeks to live. They put a hospital bed in the house, and he laid there unable to move pretty much. Needed help going to the bathroom and all he could eat was baby food.

Ok, now to why I'm posting. About a year ago, my friends dad bought a motorcycle. 650 V-Star. It was a celebration as at that time, he had beat the cancer. He told me he had ridden the Indians and Harleys when he was younger and wanted to enjoy the rest of his life! A few months later he told me was going to trade the 650 in for the bigger V-Star. A couple months after that he did trade for it. But, the cancer had returned again. He told me he wished he hadn't traded as the bigger bike was a little heavy for him.

A week ago I was talking to my friend about how his dad was doing. I asked if his dad had ever traded the big bike in for the smaller bike. Nope, it is still in the garage with only 104 miles on it. He told me that about a month ago when his dad started to be confined to the hospital bed, he wanted him to start the bike every couple of days to keep the battery charged and circulate the fluids. So my friend did this. At first he noticed it only had 99 miles on. He would sit on it to start it and rev it up some, and just always noticed it had 99 miles on it.

But one day a couple weeks ago he went out to start it and let it run, and it had 104 miles on it. It puzzled him. He knew that it had only had 99 miles on it, but now it had 104. He asked his son if he had ridden it, nope. So my friend went inside and asked his dad who had rode the bike. His dad told him not to say anything to his mom, but he had managed to get out of bed a few days earlier and go for a short ride. It was killing him more than the cancer was to not be able to ride. This was a guy that needed help to go to the bathroom and to even sit up. But I guess the call of riding a bike is strong.

People ask me why I ride a bike. I say things like it is fun, saves gas, riding in the open air in scenery is better than a car. But those are just answers.

There is also something else, something is there that calls you to the bike. It is like the bike has its own spirit that calls you. There is something that makes you want to, have to ride. It is strong if it can get a very sick man out of a bed to go for a ride.

What is it? Does it have a name?

All I know now is the my friends dad can now ride the biggest bike he wants, as he feel no pain and is finally at rest...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Good story, Thanks for sharing.. I have no answer but I do understand..
Prayers going to your friend and to you ..

Doug

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would say 'Passion'.

Thanks for posting the story, Harry.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes... tears in the eyes.

Thank you for sharing and thank your friend for sharing a great memory of his father with us.

God bless him and his family.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Thanks for posting that...

kinda goes with the shirt... "If you don't ride you dont know"

·
Premium Member
7,289 Posts
I sent this to everyone in my MC family...... Very touching....

Thanks for sharing....

Sister Mooo

·
Registered
989 Posts
What a touching reminder to thankful for each day that we have.
Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
What a touching story. What a wonderful way to honor this brother than to share it with us. Thanks. Thoughts and prayers to you and to his family.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
miataman92 said:
What a touching story. What a wonderful way to honor this brother than to share it with us. Thanks. Thoughts and prayers to you and to his family.
Big ditto, thank you for that beautiful story.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Thanks for sharing that harry.

..very moving indeed. I'm so glad he's blipping the throttle pain free now AND that he got one last 'earthly' ride in.

i thought it was very ...whats the word i'm trying use....oh well....that in all his other worries, he stated 'don't tell your Mother, but...' ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the story, good post
I lost my brother-in-law and poker buddy to cancer Sun, and your story makes me feel a little bit better.

I don't know they call it, I,m just glad we have it.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
This story demonstrates the difference between a poseur and a biker (or motorcylist if you prefer). It makes no difference what you ride, but what your attitude about riding is.

For me, it is a passion, as it is for many on this site. Your friend's dad also shared that passion. It is sad he had to die, but it is really awesome that he was able to get in that last ride.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts.

There is something there. I can't name it. It's like it just lures you to it. I'll go out to smoke at work, and it is like I have to look at the bike. I know my bike inside and out, but I still look at it. Not just my bike, but other bikes also. I see a bike parked at the other end of a parking lot, and I have to drive by it and look at it. I hear one drive by at home, and I look out the window to catch a glimpse.

I guess as someone said, IT'S A BIKE THING and if you don't ride you won't understand.

·
Registered
628 Posts
harryp said:
Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts.

There is something there. I can't name it. It's like it just lures you to it. I'll go out to smoke at work, and it is like I have to look at the bike. I know my bike inside and out, but I still look at it. Not just my bike, but other bikes also. I see a bike parked at the other end of a parking lot, and I have to drive by it and look at it. I hear one drive by at home, and I look out the window to catch a glimpse.

I guess as someone said, IT'S A BIKE THING and if you don't ride you won't understand.
+1 Great story!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts