Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
I tried riding my Street Glide after drinking beer, it's not possible.

The bike shakes so bad that the beer foams out my nostrils and obscures my vision.

(might as well perpetuate the myth)
Viper I think you posted in the wrong thread, I think you want the one about "Cup Holders" sure there is one for a beer mug on a Harley :)

I don't think it is a Harley persona to drink and ride, but it's not good no matter what you ride or drive. I've been to plenty of charity rides where a bottle is passed around at the start of the ride, has nothing to do with what brand, just plain stupidity. I don't join in on those rides any longer.

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
Just for comparisons sake, we have the customer appreciation days at the local BMW, Honda and Suzuki shops. Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, soda and gatorade. But never beer.... Even at the organized club events, no beer. The only place I EVER saw beer being passed out was at a Harley dealership... Well, there and at the end of a mountain bike race. But in that case, you're so trashed anyway, you need a DD just to keep from falling asleep at the wheel! LOL!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Viper I think you posted in the wrong thread, I think you want the one about "Cup Holders" sure there is one for a beer mug on a Harley :)

I don't think it is a Harley persona to drink and ride, but it's not good no matter what you ride or drive. I've been to plenty of charity rides where a bottle is passed around at the start of the ride, has nothing to do with what brand, just plain stupidity. I don't join in on those rides any longer.
LOL, IF you have a cup holder on a Harley, you don't put anything in it that you don't want shook up. :biglaugh:

Our local HD dealership SELLS beer at appreciation nights. As always, drink responsibly.

btw, the dealership owner is a city councilman.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, I see over the years things have changed little,still have my 02 volusia it's still bad *** (" will run any harley any time rofl it needs a new battery but other then that she is ready to rumble. ride free or is it stay free lol oh well its all good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Huh. You want to be snubbed? Try doing the low wave to ANY motorcycle from the saddle of a bicycle. They just about wreck their bikes trying to figure out why the dude in spandex and a foam hat is waving at them!
I was on the recieving end of a wave last year from one of you "bicyclists" (are you even allowed to be on the road?). You're right, It does throw the motorcycle rider for a real loop.

I was initially shocked by this and like you said, I almost wrecked the bike, followed shortly by disbelief that this action had even occurred. Once I accepted the fact that this spandex clad office worker had insulted me with a wave, I became very angry. Is it even legal for a bicycle to wave at a real bike?

The waving thing has been a great source source of entertainment and conversation for me and my girlfriend. On my first ride 3 years ago, I didn't want to wave because I felt that since I was just a newbie, I hadn't earned the right to wave at the veteran riders. I wasn't yet part of the fraternity. I quickly discovered that waving was a necessity but I didn't know the protocal, and soon every time I saw a bike approaching the stress level would rise.............Is he going to wave, because I'll be embarrased if i wave and he doesn't respond? Should I initiate it or wait for him to wave first. How many yards from each other should the wave take place? My girlfriend would get nervous as well because she didn't know if she was required to wave from the back seat. She soon decided that she would only wave if there was a woman on the back of the other bike.
Then you also have to worry about how to wave. Is it just raising a finger from the handlebar, the up high full on Forrest Gump wave, or the cool, down low, hang loose wave with just the thumb and baby finger extended?
Quite often my girlfriend will comment on different waves that she see's, and she does sometimes get upset if we get snubbed!

The one situation that I still dislike, is seeing the 1/4 mile long group of bikes approaching. It's a waver's nightmare.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I used to enjoy riding but may never again!!! Did not realize I may not be following protocol !!!:blackeye:

I was on the recieving end of a wave last year from one of you "bicyclists" (are you even allowed to be on the road?). You're right, It does throw the motorcycle rider for a real loop.

I was initially shocked by this and like you said, I almost wrecked the bike, followed shortly by disbelief that this action had even occurred. Once I accepted the fact that this spandex clad office worker had insulted me with a wave, I became very angry. Is it even legal for a bicycle to wave at a real bike?

The waving thing has been a great source source of entertainment and conversation for me and my girlfriend. On my first ride 3 years ago, I didn't want to wave because I felt that since I was just a newbie, I hadn't earned the right to wave at the veteran riders. I wasn't yet part of the fraternity. I quickly discovered that waving was a necessity but I didn't know the protocal, and soon every time I saw a bike approaching the stress level would rise.............Is he going to wave, because I'll be embarrased if i wave and he doesn't respond? Should I initiate it or wait for him to wave first. How many yards from each other should the wave take place? My girlfriend would get nervous as well because she didn't know if she was required to wave from the back seat. She soon decided that she would only wave if there was a woman on the back of the other bike.
Then you also have to worry about how to wave. Is it just raising a finger from the handlebar, the up high full on Forrest Gump wave, or the cool, down low, hang loose wave with just the thumb and baby finger extended?
Quite often my girlfriend will comment on different waves that she see's, and she does sometimes get upset if we get snubbed!

The one situation that I still dislike, is seeing the 1/4 mile long group of bikes approaching. It's a waver's nightmare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
after reading this whole thread, all i have to say is rofl...

the first day i had my vl800 i had 6 people ask me how much i paid for the harley... lol

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Just for comparisons sake, we have the customer appreciation days at the local BMW, Honda and Suzuki shops. Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, soda and gatorade. But never beer.... Even at the organized club events, no beer. The only place I EVER saw beer being passed out was at a Harley dealership... Well, there and at the end of a mountain bike race. But in that case, you're so trashed anyway, you need a DD just to keep from falling asleep at the wheel! LOL!
Way club are you a member of, scrap? Both my BMW owners clubs have plenty of beer, we have Germans in the Akron Club that would look at you funny if you didnt drink beer.

My BMW dealer doesn't have beer, that is completely irresponsible. But my friend Off Road Bob, a LE Hells Angel and resident troublemaker, shows up with a saddlebag full of Modelo (Bob is responsible for my taste in Mexican beer). To dealer functions. We actually walk around the showroom drinking it. They don't say much, Between the two of us we have bought 5 bikes at the local dealer.

Of course Bob wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with a bunch of HOG poseurs, either :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
What's the stereotype for a guy like me that rides all those...
Unfortunately Dr E, You are just you. While all stereotypes are generally wrong, they are most wrong describing you. I say that with affection and with thanks for what you do here.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
:biglaugh:

I feel ya dog, I am unstereotypable. Although, I feel a pirate phase coming on...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nothing beats back in/01 when a Harley guys says to me I did a fine job restoring that Harley lol.

LOL! I was in Solvang last summer with my wife and we were stitting outside drinking iced coffee (not beer :cry:) and I was listening to some guys who stopped right between us and my bike talking about "what a nice Harley" and "he paid a lot of $ to get it back into such nice shape" and "they don't make them like that anymore" and on and on. :biglaugh: I wanted to say " yeah, too bad they don't make them with shaft drives anymore and the V-rod is the only one left with a radiator" but I just sat there and smiled.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Happened back in 2004. From my blog.

As Ronnie and I were getting ready to leave 4 corners Nt Monument, this SUV pulls in and parks across from us. As soon as it stops this young girl (about 11 or 12 years old) jumps out and runs over to us very excited. She is jumping up and down and speaking in a foreign language (russian I think) which I don’t have a clue. I’m not sure what to do at this moment and neither does Ronnie, we are just kinda standing there looking at each other.

We were dirty, dusty and sweaty with sandy leathers and this young 12 year old is going crazy infront of us...this would puzzle most bikers. It was about this time when the rest of the family approached us. The mother spoke first, she explained that the girl was a foreign exchange student and the one thing she wanted to do while over in the US was get her picture taken on a Harley Davidson.

Ronnie and I looked at each other,, smiled and said "Sure!" The girl climbed onto Ronnie’s bike and had me stand on one side and Ronnie on the other. The parents took a couple of pictures and she hopped off and trotted away with the biggest smile on her face.

I think the only sad part will be when she gets home and finds out the bikes were not Harley’s but Suzuki's. Made me feel good for some reason. Wish I would had taken a picture of the family.
4 corners National Moument 2004.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well gotta tell a story about the time I was running the C90 in Tn or maybe it was Ky was on a back road, stopped at a small gas station, the owners says thats a swell harley you got there, I says it aint no harley ,its a Suzuki, guy says,,,didn't know harley made a Suzuki

·
Registered
611 Posts

I just had a blue haired old lady riding on the back of a trike with a husband who still had a learners driving permit, cut me up for driving a Suzuki!

Yekim, I feel your pain.

Now, on an unrelated note:
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Awesome.
But was she hot???:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I made an agreement with my wife when I started riding. I NEVER drink and ride. If I even have 1 beer during the day, no getting on the motorcycle. It's an easy rule to follow and will probably save my life and others in the future. It's also made me realize I like riding my C50T cruiser way more than liquor. So my beer gut is going away!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

161 - 177 of 177 Posts